Thruway bus travel,

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlouielady

Lead Service Attendant
I am still working on my trip report from my recent trip involving this travel (darn work has been keeping me busy), but, I wanted to see if anyone else has had this situation.

I traveled St Louis, MO to McAllen, TX (Eagle to San Antonio, and a bus to McAllen). We were SO early arriving in San Antonio that I had an option to take an earlier bus (arriving in McAllen at 4:45 AM, rather than 9:55 AM); so, I took it. At the bus station, they took my original Amtrak ticket, and replaced it with a bus ticket. My question is: will I get points for this travel on an earlier bus?

I had a similar situation on the return trip. I went to the McAllen bus station, checked in, and was told that the bus I was scheduled for made a few stops on the way to San Antonio. However, I was told that there was another bus to San Antonio that was an express, and would arrive in San Antonio earlier, and would I like to take it if possible? I said 'sure', and, with the permission of the driver, I was allowed to take this one. However, different scenario than the bus down, I gave the driver my Amtrak ticket (which she stared at for about five minutes and then took it), boarded the bus, and was on my way.

So, long story (sorry) short, since I didn't take the bus(ses) that I was originally scheduled to take, will I still get the points? It's pretty likely that I'll have to send in the receipts, but, is it a waste of time to think that I'm going to get the points for this part of the trip?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say for sure, but you will probably have to mail copies of the receipts in order to receive credit. It is very unlikely that the drivers (bus companies) will submit the tickets to AGR so you can receive credit.

To be clear, I don't think that the traveler's statement is for your particular situation, but in general. Many folks have posted here with problems on points for thruways.

How long should I wait before sending in the bus tickets? The second train trip points have already posted, the first one has not yet. I know it takes time for things to post, but, I also know that there is a limit on the time that I have to request the points. Should I wait until both portions of the train trip has posted, and then submit a request for the bus tickets? Or, wait even longer than that? This is my first experience with a bus, so, sorry about all the questions....

You have to wait 4 to 6 weeks until they will admit that the points are not going to post then you just have to call them and then the agent on the phone will tell you what do from there

Back