Thousands protest in Italy against high-speed train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DET63

Conductor
GIAGLIONE, Italy — Thousands of protesters marched against a planned high-speed train line in northern Italy on Sunday as police turned out in force fearing rioting by militants and hooligans.

Hundreds of women led the peaceful procession from Giaglione to a construction site in the Susa Valley near Turin, wielding wire-cutters aimed at cutting through barriers erected around the controversial site.

But their hopes of doing so were dashed by some 1,700 Italian security forces encircling the site at a wide radius, acting on a threat Saturday by anarchists and other hardcore militants to join the protest.

More

According to Google Translate, NIMBY in Italian is "Non nel mio cortile." Closer to home, in Spanish it's "No en mi patio trasero."

I wonder if there are colloquialisms in either language that would make decent acronyms...

According to Google Translate, NIMBY in Italian is "Non nel mio cortile." Closer to home, in Spanish it's "No en mi patio trasero."

I wonder if there are colloquialisms in either language that would make decent acronyms...
In Italian, it might get abbreviated to NONEMICO.

For Spanish, it might come out as NEMPTRA.

I don't know if either one is actually used, though.

In the transports forum that I'm moderator (Forotransportes.com) we use just NIMBY. "NEMPTRA" sounds creepy
mosking.gif

Back