Third Trip, First Overnight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much anyone working at Applebees or Dennys would LOVE to work on Amtrak,, even without tips.
Well, not everyone, but most would, if they had the opportunity.

So why don’t they all apply?
default_huh.png
Probably because they don't live near an Amtrak station, for one thing. That's the first requirement (and near a hub, if one doesn't want to commute to work). My all-time favorite employee from my local Denny's would make an excellent AMTK employee. But aside from the fact that the nearest station is 250+ miles away, he's a single dad. Such a situation makes traveling for work difficult, if not impossible.

That said, there are plenty of footloose-and-fancy-free persons who would make good employees for the food & beverage portion of Amtrak. But that's not who they seem to hire. The new hires over the past couple of years seem to be washouts from the flight attendant programs at the airlines. Or people who've never eaten at a sit-down restaurant themselves. Thus I've concluded that the what gets one hired for a diner position is the Amtrak equivalent of an Old Boy Network. The people who know someone who know someone are those who get the job, qualified or not.

Working as a service professional on a moving train isn't like working at McDonald's (and I can say that as a onetime former McD's employee); but it's not as complicated as writing the launch software for a SpaceX rocket, either. In fact, it's probably easier than working in a restaurant with 50+ menu items with a layer or two of management breathing down your neck at most times, particularly when the restaurant is in a busy location. Either situation should allow for their customers to have basic needs met, and simple requests granted, both without having to ask multiple times or flag down someone else to get the job done.

I do not think that they are washouts of the FA program. Nor do I believe the your statement to have basic needs met.

I have never had a problem to (say) get ketchup or another cup of coffee. Most times they ask me, or are coming around with a pot. The majority of the time, they ask me if I would like a cup of coffee to go to take back with me. Many times, I take my dessert back - and they wrap it up, give me a bag and include a fork or spoon and a napkin!

What they can not do is when you ask for (say) no garlic in your sauce or less salt in your mashed potatoes. The reason is that except for items that require a grill (like steaks or cooked to order eggs) ALL items served are prepared off the train and loaded on the train at the origin point and just reheated and plated for you.

And I know it is that way...but it doesn't have to be. Viewliner and Superliner kitchens are capable of producing world-class meals if they are stocked and staffed appropriately. And that's a management decision. Yes, I know about the Micamismicromanagement...but I think that if someone grew a pair and made a forthright stand in favor of REAL customer service, you'd be surprised how fast things could change.

One more question about dining if I may: does lounge food count in the cost of the sleeper car ticket? If I recall correctly, the second time I went from NO to ATL, I wasn't in the mood for what the dining car had to offer, so I ate a cheese burger from the snack bar. Is that included in the price of my sleeper car ticket or is that out of pocket?

One more question about dining if I may: does lounge food count in the cost of the sleeper car ticket? If I recall correctly, the second time I went from NO to ATL, I wasn't in the mood for what the dining car had to offer, so I ate a cheese burger from the snack bar. Is that included in the price of my sleeper car ticket or is that out of pocket?
Lounge/cafe food purchases are not included in your sleeper fare. You might be able to order a cheeseburger from the lunch menu at dinner time in the dining car.

Nope. It's out of pocket.

Back