Thinking about taking a train trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steveindixon

Train Attendant
Okay, I've been back a week from my train trip cross country and back. To be honest, 6,000 miles on trains in just under 2 weeks takes a toll on one's body! But, you will meet some VERY nice people! You will see scenery you've only seen in magazines or tv or movies. I went coach both ways. Seats are VERY comfortable to sit in, miserable to try and sleep in. My nex trip next year I'm going to get a room and see how that goes. I do think they need a class to show people how to walk on a moving train! I felt bad because I was carrying a bag and I nailed a couple of passengers with it! And then the train is smooth sailing so I don't grab anything. And before I know it, I'm sitting on a woman's lap! She got a kick out of her, her husband did not! Yes, train traveling CAN be rough if you want to walk. Overall the train was very clean. All 3 toilets in my car were broken by the end of the trip. And the water fountain didn't work. But, every car has toilets so that's no biggie. Staff very nice! I enjoyed the "smoke stops" even though I don't smoke. It's fun to get out and look around the small towns. I heard the train whistle and I started looking for another train. I couldn't see it! Then I realized after I saw people running for my train that the horn was to alert passengers we're leaving. Don't wander off too far on a train stop!

If you do take a train, you canNOT have a time schedule! You're kind of like on Hawaii time...i.e. there is no time! You arrive when you arrive, period.

Happy railing everyone!

Steve

Seats are VERY comfortable to sit in, miserable to try and sleep in. My next trip next year I'm going to get a room and see how that goes.
I was on 2 full trains last month and had no trouble sleeping, but a bed is better :)

I do think they need a class to show people how to walk on a moving train! I felt bad because I was carrying a bag and I nailed a couple of passengers with it! And then the train is smooth sailing so I don't grab anything. And before I know it, I'm sitting on a woman's lap! She got a kick out of her, her husband did not!
I have bad knees and had no trouble. And carrying 2 cameras I didn't bump into anyone accidentally. :)

If you do take a train, you canNOT have a time schedule! You're kind of like on Hawaii time...i.e. there is no time! You arrive when you arrive, period.
Hawaiian Time? we got lots; Time to eat, time to fish; time to enjoy the sun/water/opposite sex; just no money and trains ;) :huh: :blink:

Aloha

Okay, I've been back a week from my train trip cross country and back. To be honest, 6,000 miles on trains in just under 2 weeks takes a toll on one's body! But, you will meet some VERY nice people! You will see scenery you've only seen in magazines or tv or movies. I went coach both ways. Seats are VERY comfortable to sit in, miserable to try and sleep in. My nex trip next year I'm going to get a room and see how that goes. I do think they need a class to show people how to walk on a moving train! I felt bad because I was carrying a bag and I nailed a couple of passengers with it! And then the train is smooth sailing so I don't grab anything. And before I know it, I'm sitting on a woman's lap! She got a kick out of her, her husband did not! Yes, train traveling CAN be rough if you want to walk. Overall the train was very clean. All 3 toilets in my car were broken by the end of the trip. And the water fountain didn't work. But, every car has toilets so that's no biggie. Staff very nice! I enjoyed the "smoke stops" even though I don't smoke. It's fun to get out and look around the small towns. I heard the train whistle and I started looking for another train. I couldn't see it! Then I realized after I saw people running for my train that the horn was to alert passengers we're leaving. Don't wander off too far on a train stop!

Happy railing everyone!

Steve
I just got back from my last trip yesterday, Florida to New Haven and back. I used to have the same walking troubles as you until I read a post by greenmanedlion saying that if you walk down the aisles real fast, you'll cancel out the motion... and he was right! I went 2 straight days on trains without toppling over onto anybody's lap a single time!

Happy railing everyone!

Steve
I just got back from my last trip yesterday, Florida to New Haven and back. I used to have the same walking troubles as you until I read a post by greenmanedlion saying that if you walk down the aisles real fast, you'll cancel out the motion... and he was right! I went 2 straight days on trains without toppling over onto anybody's lap a single time!
Why do I get the feeling this is a set up!!!!!? :eek: ;) :p :lol:

One other thing with walking on trains is that I think when you're walking between cars, it is desireable to avoid there being any point in time when you have a foot on each car. Just as your foot is about to reach the floor on the car you're moving into, I think you want to quickly pick up the foot on the car you're moving out of.

I also have found on the MBTA Red Line that if I am carrying moderately heavy bags that are fairly close to the floor of the car, that seems to improve my overall stability. I haven't really done any experimentation to see if this is equally true on Amtrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back