Things To Bring

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNews

Train Attendant
After reading the "Things To Bring" thread before my first overnight trip, and having taken 2 overnighters now, here's my spin on what I call my "Train Kit." Much of this stuff fits nicely in quart-size plastic zip-lock bags in a compartment in my back-pack. Most items I found useful, and have already been discussed, but here's my list and notes:

• Duct tape: wind a yard or two around an unsharpened pencil. Most useful item of all, especially for keeping your compartment door from sliding open when you go off to the dining car. (Duck tape is optional.)
  • Medium-size binder clips: excellent for keeping curtains closed if the velcro is compromised.
  • Rags: used to stop various squeaks and rattles (unless you love squeaks and rattles). Heavy duty material like denim or terrycloth works best.
  • Paper products: some tissues, TP, and good paper towels are handy to have. I thought the Amtrak TP was fine though.
  • String: could be useful, but haven't actually needed it yet.
  • Rubber bands: same as string.
  • Tiny flashlights: used the LED kind that clip onto your keychain. Handy if you wake up at 3am and need to find your glasses.
  • Large garbage bag: various uses. I covered the toilet with it when I showered in our en-suite bathroom.
  • Bungee cords: helpful for keeping our computer case from toppling over. Various other uses.
  • Headphone splitter: great for 2 people watching a DVD on the computer together, or sharing music off one device. You'll need headphones to hear most movie soundtracks over the train noise.
  • Surge protector: Used inexpensive Belkin F9H220-TVL to protect laptop from possible spikes in train's power supply.
  • Pillows: completely optional, the train pillows are OK, but a nice one from home adds a pleasant touch. Better if it's a soft feathery one that squishes down very small, and can be crammed into a backpack.
  • Sweat pants: I bought a kind that look more like pants and less like workout gear. Changed as soon as I boarded, and wore them the whole time. Super comfy, and looked fine.
  • Change of clothes: fresh undies, shirt & socks in carry-on or backpack. A hot shower after breakfast and fresh clothes is one of the real joys of train travel.
  • Snacks: not that you'll need more food than they give you, but it's nice to have some goodies. Nuts/raisin mix, beef jerky, dried fruit, anything that doesn't need refrigeration and can stand being squished.
  • Booze: when all else fails. Having your own supply in your compartment is truly a major happiness.
Having a few extra useful items adds very little weight, but can bring extra happiness by enhancing the journey and solving some small problems.

After reading the "Things To Bring" thread before my first overnight trip, and having taken 2 overnighters now, here's my spin on what I call my "Train Kit." Much of this stuff fits nicely in quart-size plastic zip-lock bags in a compartment in my back-pack. Most items I found useful, and have already been discussed, but here's my list and notes:

• Tiny flashlights: used the LED kind that clip onto your keychain. Handy if you wake up at 3am and need to find your glasses.
That's the one thing I've used the most!!! Maybe cause I'm blind as a Batt!!!

I need a flash light to find my flash light!!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another real good thing to have are $1 bills (or coins) for dining car tips.

GOOD POINT! I forgot we did that: made sure we had plenty of $1, 5, and 10's for dining car service tips, and for our sleeping car attendant when we disembarked.

One word of caution: The toilet paper in Amtrak bathrooms is specifically designed for their toilet's flushing system; use of any other kind of TP could result in stopping up the toilets. Other than that, you have a very good and comprehensive list. It seems like every time I go on a long distance trip, I think of something else to bring. Yesterday I flew from Spokane to Chicago, then bussed down to Bloomington-Normal to spend a couple of days with my aunt and uncle before my uncle, his granddaughter, and I take the CONO from Champaign to Chicago, the CZ from Chicago to Sacramento, and the CS from Sacramento to Seattle. By the time I'd put most of the stuff I use on the train into my carry-on for the plane (I use a backpack) I was walking like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. :giggle:

• Duct tape: wind a yard or two around an unsharpened pencil. Most useful item of all, especially for keeping your compartment door from sliding open when you go off to the dining car. (Duck tape is optional.)
  • Medium-size binder clips: excellent for keeping curtains closed if the velcro is compromised.
  • Rags: used to stop various squeaks and rattles (unless you love squeaks and rattles). Heavy duty material like denim or terrycloth works best.
  • Paper products: some tissues, TP, and good paper towels are handy to have. I thought the Amtrak TP was fine though.
  • String: could be useful, but haven't actually needed it yet.
  • Rubber bands: same as string.
  • Large garbage bag: various uses. I covered the toilet with it when I showered in our en-suite bathroom.
  • Bungee cords: helpful for keeping our computer case from toppling over. Various other uses.
  • Headphone splitter: great for 2 people watching a DVD on the computer together, or sharing music off one device. You'll need headphones to hear most movie soundtracks over the train noise.
  • Surge protector: Used inexpensive Belkin F9H220-TVL to protect laptop from possible spikes in train's power supply.
  • Pillows: completely optional, the train pillows are OK, but a nice one from home adds a pleasant touch. Better if it's a soft feathery one that squishes down very small, and can be crammed into a backpack.
  • Sweat pants: I bought a kind that look more like pants and less like workout gear. Changed as soon as I boarded, and wore them the whole time. Super comfy, and looked fine.
  • Change of clothes: fresh undies, shirt & socks in carry-on or backpack. A hot shower after breakfast and fresh clothes is one of the real joys of train travel.
  • Snacks: not that you'll need more food than they give you, but it's nice to have some goodies. Nuts/raisin mix, beef jerky, dried fruit, anything that doesn't need refrigeration and can stand being squished.
  • Booze: when all else fails. Having your own supply in your compartment is truly a major happiness.
Having a few extra useful items adds very little weight, but can bring extra happiness by enhancing the journey and solving some small problems.
Excellent post. Here are my thoughts, geared like yours to sleeper passengers.

Duct Tape: Great suggestion. You could also use it to keep the compartment door open when you want, instead of it slamming shut when on a grade or curve. You could also use it on rattling pocket doors between bedrooms like SCA's do.

A second shaving kit: Use it not for your toothbrush, razor, shampoo etc. but to store your keys, cell phone, wallet, etc. when not on your person. Especial when you detrain at night, it's handy to have those things all together to inventory before you get off the train. I have left a cell phone behind once. Ouch.

A bag for used undergarments, socks, etc.: Helps to store them after use on 2-4 day train trips. I tend to grab the laundry bags in the hotel room closet for this purpose.

Multi-outlet power cord: Your chargers and other devices may not have cords long enough to reach from a train outlet to where you want to set them. :giggle:

Personal beverages: Adult and otherwise. I drink ice tea, not coffee, so I BYOT in quantity. I bring flavored Glaceau vitamin waters, and yes, my own adult beverages.

Small Ice Chest: Ice is critical to ice tea. :eek:hboy: Ice is critical to adult beverages. Many SCA's will bring buckets of ice to your room, but exposed to room temperature air, it won't last long before melting. I bring the cooler filled when I leave home and my hotels, and it lasts through the first overnight. I then get SCA refills when I can for the rest of the trip.

Kindles, smart phones and IPODs: To keep you entertained on long trips, especially when traveling alone.

Glasses: I don't travel on trains with my prescription glasses (I need them for reading only). I take two sets of cheaters. Once a lens popped out of the single set I took and I was helpless until I got to my destination and bought another set. :blink:

GOOD POINT! I forgot we did that: made sure we had plenty of $1, 5, and 10's for dining car service tips, and for our sleeping car attendant when we disembarked.
Following the idea of another poster here on a "tipping" thread, my granddaughter and I took a stack of $2. bills to use as tips on our LD trip last month. We were generous tippers if the service was good, so servers in the diner remembered us at each meal.

Following the idea of another poster here on a "tipping" thread, my granddaughter and I took a stack of $2. bills to use as tips on our LD trip last month. We were generous tippers if the service was good, so servers in the diner remembered us at each meal.
I'm like you I always take 30 ones with me to make certain I can leave a tip after every meal. And yes they do remember you and your name. Sometimes I have the same crews on my vacations over the years.

Yep, I've found that leaving an 'above average' tip for decent service at your first meal in the DC almost always results in even better service at the next meal.

Also, to the OP: Great post, EXCEPT for the TP suggestion. Do yourself, and everyone else aboard, a huge favor and use the Amtrak supplied TP. Clogged plumbing is a good way to make a trip a whole lot less pleasant. And I don't think bringing your own 'snake' aboard will work! :giggle:

I kinda like to use the Boy Scout "10 essentials" as a starter...

1.First aid kit

2.Filled water bottle

3.Flashlight

4.Trail food

5.Sunscreen and sun protection

6.Whistle

7.Map and Compass (or gps)

8.Rain gear

9.Pocket knife

10.Matches or fire starters Duct tape.

I kinda like to use the Boy Scout "10 essentials" as a starter...

1.First aid kit

2.Filled water bottle

3.Flashlight

4.Trail food

5.Sunscreen and sun protection

6.Whistle

7.Map and Compass (or gps)

8.Rain gear

9.Pocket knife

10.Matches or fire starters Duct tape.
Whistle????

The LSA in the dining car can also almost always make change if one needs smaller bills for tipping.

Great suggestion about the binder clips to keep curtains closed!

I bring a package of disposable, unscented baby wipes (or equivalent). They're perfect for freshening up between showers.

Also, the night before leaving, I fill a 32-ounce Nalgene bottle about halfway full of water and freeze it. When I arrive at the Chicago Union Station Metropolitan Lounge, I fill the bottle the rest of the way up with ice (about half a cup). Once settled in my (usually) roomette, I open one of those little water bottles and pour water into the ice. By adding just a little bit of ice throughout my journey, I have cool water the entire trip. Coming back, I seldom have access to an overnight freezer, so I just use ice in moderation from the SCA's station.

Here's my Nalgene bottle:

5148804370_5edbf9862d.jpg

Great post, EXCEPT for the TP suggestion. Do yourself, and everyone else aboard, a huge favor and use the Amtrak supplied TP. Clogged plumbing is a good way to make a trip a whole lot less pleasant. And I don't think bringing your own 'snake' aboard will work! :giggle:

Thanks, point taken. (Actually had the same issue in my in-laws old house: no non-house-brand TP allowed, due to septic system crisis potential.) The Amtrak TP is fine for a day or two, but those mini packs of Kleenex are nice to have for sneezes.

Lots of other great suggestions made- especially love the $2 bills tipping idea.

But we are not iPod people; instead we bought triangular-shaped iRiver mp3 players a few years ago. They hold a couple hundred songs and run for up to 40 hours on a single AA battery.

OK, so what is a good tip for good service on a train? For breakfast for lunch and for dinner :) Just the standard 20% of the menu price?

Yes, I tip in the dining car as I would in a restaurant, which would be 15-20% of the menu price of the food.

Aloha

There are a lot of good suggestions on what to bring. I have another. Bring, what Hawaiians call, Aloha Spirit. This will guarantee a fantastic trip.

The latest addition to my 'Amtrak travel kit' is an insulated stainless steel travel mug that I use to fill with ice every evening while on-board and this small 'cooler' provides me with enough ice to add 'rocks' to my scotch throughout the night. It also packs away very easily when not in use. ;)

I also leave in my train bag a good 12 ft. household extension cord w multiple outlets to reach from the outlet near the sink in a bedroom over head to the fold out table to keep my Garmin nuvi 265 gps and my HP 8.5 netbook, and Verizon smart phonecharged and going.Very handy.I also carry a couple of those freebie keychain flashlights and leave one in the little bag in the upper bunk for seeing around at night

I also leave in my train bag a good 12 ft. household extension cord w multiple outlets to reach from the outlet near the sink in a bedroom over head to the fold out table to keep my Garmin nuvi 265 gps and my HP 8.5 netbook, and Verizon smart phonecharged and going.Very handy.I also carry a couple of those freebie keychain flashlights and leave one in the little bag in the upper bunk for seeing around at night
I thought there was an outlet above the couch near the window in the superliner bedrooms? Maybe you're meaning a different room type or viewliner? Just picked up a 5 ft retractable travel extension cord and travel power strip that I'm hoping has adequate length.

yes, you are probably right about the superliner.I don't recall.But I do remember buying the cord in Miami for our return trip home to Ftw, so it would be a viewliner. I also remember putting up a couple of strings of christmas lights.we try to migrate down to Florida every Christmas

A personal favorite of mine is a travel water heater coil. They're pretty cheap on Amazon, and can bring your cup of water up to a boil pretty quickly. Great for making things like instant oatmeal, ramen, tea, etc.

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back