The Tradition of Named Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Amtrak take named cars into consideration again?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely name the cars. For us regular travelers, it lends to a sense of familiarity.

I recently saw a Viewliner I with the name Croton River stenciled on the side plate. I suppose this ties in with the Viewliner II sleepers.

I love the idea of names, adds some charm and ambiance,,

I carry a table of names with me and love sharing the information with the SCA's some of whom never realized their car had a name,,,,I think my list came from TO but if you all want I will post it,,,, just let me know

I don't quite get what the issue is. Amtrak California still has named cars, but then they get tagged with Car 1/Car 2/Car 3. Having a name is fine and everything, but the equipment will essentially be running as the order in the consist.

I was on the Capitol Limited in April and slept in the Alabama sleeper heading towards Washington, D.C. On the way back I was delighted to sleep in the Kansas Sleeper, my home state.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the names give the workers some pride. So I say, name 'em if the workers want to name 'em, don't if the workers don't care. The names have no practical function for the rider.

I would love it if diners and sleepers had names. However, it would be a bit of a mockery for Amtrak. Named cars imply elegance and class, neither one of which Amtrak has or is interested in having.

Virgin West Coast names entire articulated train consists like the Pendolinos. They have even named one "Penny the Pendolino" though probably not after our Penny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corporate naming right as a fund raiser?

"Yes sir, you have seat number 34 on the Leidos car brought to you by Halliburton. We hope you enjoy your dinner at the Kraft Foods table in the Tyson's Food Dining car."

I can't say I've noticed any other views with the name on the side. Has anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back