The Super Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
On the Cardinal right now. I'll get an actual car count, but from what I understand, it's running with a full, extended Capitol Limited consist (two sleepers, a transdorm, a diner, an SSL, and five coaches). The sleeper isn't nearly full (not surprising considering), but the diner was seeing brisk business off the coaches regardless. Probably running at about 60% of capacity.

They're running a full Western LD menu, too...they apparently had steak last night (I'm jealous and wish I'd been able to be there for that), had a full breakfast, and we're set to have a full lunch as well. The coaches are apparently jammed with displaced folks from two days of the Cap, and probably two days of the LSL as well. If they could do an ersatz agreement, Amtrak could probably come close to packing this train every day until the weather clears.

P.S. Can't wait to see the January numbers. Everything else will be in the tank, but the Cardinal's probably going to set a monthly record.

Cross-platform transfer to a Regional set, I believe.

Edit: And they just announced that there will be both lunch and dinner onboard. If we lose another 30-60 minutes, I should get dinner before CVS!

Last edited by a moderator:
How I wish the Cardinal would keep the Superlliners. That's the reason I take the Capitol over the Cardinal from DC to Chicago. There is such a huge difference in the trains. If only the Silver trains had Superliner equipment South of DC. I know the Autotrain uses double decker cars,but I can't justify the cost bringing a car on board,when I have a car to use when I travel to Florida. I don't mind the drive to Florida from Pennsylvania. Even with hotels and gas, it is still cheaper than taking the Autotrain..plus I have to drive to Lorton and an additional four hours to Fort Lauderdale,so it wouldn't be cost effective for me.

I remember when the Cardinal had Superliners. Only wish they would remain on a permanent basis.

Anderson, I'm considering joining you aboard in Staunton. RIght now, you look to be arriving around 4:20 pm. If the westbound hurries up and stops being late (probably not likely), I'm considering driving to Charlottesville and taking 51 to Staunton, then turn around. I just want to ride that SSL on the Mountain! I really enjoy the Superliner consist, and it might be a while before this chance presents itself again.

I'm at work, but told my boss I might take a half day if this train is on time westbound. Clearly, they think I'm crazy.

I enjoyed riding dome cars on the Cardinal and predecessor James Whitcomb Riley back in the 1970s. The dome ran to and from Newport News. The dining car was one of old C&O square end Diner Lounges. It did a good business through West Virginia and Virginia when it ran daily. I made several winter trips.

P.S. Can't wait to see the January numbers. Everything else will be in the tank, but the Cardinal's probably going to set a monthly record.
I doubt that 2 runs with Superliner equipment will make that much of an increase in the Cardinal ridership numbers, especially when there are probably a number of shorter distance passengers that canceled due to weather. Besides, there is still 3 weeks to go in January for service disruptions due to snow storms or freight derailments. :eek:

I see #50 is currently running 3 hours and 14 minutes late departing WSS. Which would put the transfer at WAS around 9 PM or later for those heading north of WAS.

The "Super Cardinal" might be making a 2015 appearance possibly with an extra bonus the 636

Yes, please let us know. I will book a trip on the Cardinal when the Superliners are on. That makes all the difference.

i have a foot of snow on my deck,, i can only imagine what the gorge looks like because they got twice what we got today

the Card is lovely train east of Huntington,,, west? meh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back