The last subway line in Japan?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
The last subway line in Japan

On December 6, 2015, the Sendai Subway’s Tōzai (East-West) Line opened. The second line of a provincial Japanese city, this event passed entirely under the radar of the Western media and even Japanese coverage faithfully followed the dulcet tones of the press release (時短 jitan, faster! 楽乗 rakunori, fun to ride!), a few pausing to note that the completion of the line had been delayed by the 2011 Tōhoku Earthquake. Almost all stories approvingly added that the line uses linear motor technology, the meaning of which is so unclear to the average Japanese that it’s regularly confused with magnetic levitation, but which imparts the sheen of futuristic technology so necessary for a large Japanese infrastructure project. A future this or any other transport technology lacks in Japan, for the Tōzai line is almost certainly the last subway line Japan will ever build.

The quote doesn't mention why, but Japan's declining/aging population is cited as the cause, (there are extensions being built in the most populated cities, though)

The rest of the article reads like it was written by Cato + Reason. Just so you know what to expect should you follow the link :)

---PCJ

This subsidized local line, in a provincial city, Sendai, is obviously not the future of public transport in Japan.

The cited article does seem to have a bit of political bias.

Meanwhile, several of Tokyo's subway lines are running at over 150% of rated capacity in rush hours -- I've been there, seen and felt the crush. And there are plans and works in progress to relieve that crowding.

Declining, aging population? True, but the 80+yo geezers I've met in Japan run the legs off of my 60+yo self.

JR makes money - lots. Even JR Shikoku is near break-even.

Don 't judge Japan's rail policy by one pork-barrel project in Sendai.

Back