The Joys of Vacation Planning

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter20

Train Attendant
So - we have a family vacation planned for Thanksgiving and most of the available vaction funds are tied up in that trip. But getting a little stir crazy and touch of spring fever, the wife and I talked about trying to squeeze another small trip in this summer. My parents ended up canceling their summer plans (they are retired and normally spend it on the left coast); so we thought maybe a trip up to Delaware to visit them could be worked out.

First thought was to drive. But an 16-18 hour one way drive for a 4 day visit and then make the drive back really did not appeal to anyone. So we started looking at airline fares (which were pretty decent) and thought maybe fly into DC, see some friends & then head over to Delaware for a couple days. Ok - so things are looking pretty good now. Well we tell the 8 year old. She wants to know why we aren't taking the train. She likes the train and would prefer to go to DC via train. So she is not 100% happy but then again her piggy bank is not funding this so she is probably gonna get overruled. Deep down, I also would have preferred the train as well.

So we look at the week that we are going to to go and it turns out there is a bike race that is at the same time; so now I figure the trip was meant to happen so I could do the bike race. Well, not sure if you have ever explored flying with a bicycle (very expensive) or even shipping it via UPS / Fed Ex / USPS - still expensive especially with the insurance. So now, when I calculate the cost of the shipping of the bicycle, plus plane tickets the train is starting to look at lot more attractive (bicycle on the train) but now wife is worried about the cost. It was not low bucket and with the cost of the roommette with it added up. So on a whim, I decided the check the Autotrain. They are running a kids promotion and the cost of the Auto Train, with a roommette and the car (with the bicycle safely packed in it) was only $46 more than the normal train (and that is not including if they would have charged me extra for the bicycle). So we are going to take the Auto Train up and then drive home (and stop & visit family on the way - unless I get a scorching deal on the AT for the return trip). We are excited not to the have the cost of a rental car or have family come to pick us up several hours from where they live & just the overall flexibility. Wife is happy, Daughter is happy, & I'm happy. Now just got to killed 3 months until vacation!!

Don't really have a point to this post - other than I am excited & looking forward to my first trip on the Auto Train!

Last edited by a moderator:
So - we have a family vacation planned for Thanksgiving and most of the available vaction funds are tied up in that trip. But getting a little stir crazy and touch of spring fever, the wife and I talked about trying to squeeze another small trip in this summer. My parents ended up canceling their summer plans (they are retired and normally spend it on the left coast); so we thought maybe a trip up to Delaware to visit them could be worked out.
First thought was to drive. But an 16-18 hour one way drive for a 4 day visit and then make the drive back really did not appeal to anyone. So we started looking at airline fares (which were pretty decent) and thought maybe fly into DC, see some friends & then head over to Delaware for a couple days. Ok - so things are looking pretty good now. Well we tell the 8 year old. She wants to know why we aren't taking the train. She likes the train and would prefer to go to DC via train. So she is not 100% happy but then again her piggy bank is not funding this so she is probably gonna get overruled. Deep down, I also would have preferred the train as well.

So we look at the week that we are going to to go and it turns out there is a bike race that is at the same time; so now I figure the trip was meant to happen so I could do the bike race. Well, not sure if you have ever explored flying with a bicycle (very expensive) or even shipping it via UPS / Fed Ex / USPS - still expensive especially with the insurance. So now, when I calculate the cost of the shipping of the bicycle, plus plane tickets the train is starting to look at lot more attractive (bicycle on the train) but now wife is worried about the cost. It was not low bucket and with the cost of the roommette with it added up. So on a whim, I decided the check the Autotrain. They are running a kids promotion and the cost of the Auto Train, with a roommette and the car (with the bicycle safely packed in it) was only $46 more than the normal train (and that is not including if they would have charged me extra for the bicycle). So we are going to take the Auto Train up and then drive home (and stop & visit family on the way - unless I get a scorching deal on the AT for the return trip). We are excited not to the have the cost of a rental car or have family come to pick us up several hours from where they live & just the overall flexibility. Wife is happy, Daughter is happy, & I'm happy. Now just got to killed 3 months until vacation!!

Don't really have a point to this post - other than I am excited & looking forward to my first trip on the Auto Train!

I just LOVE Happy Endings!!! :)

Between saving money on rental car costs and being able to pack whatever you can fit into the car without worrying about damage or baggage fees, the Auto Train is a real winner.

We have taken the Auto Train for several years, usually both ways, but have been "gigged" a few times with "SOLD OUT" as the only option northbound.

We ran into that again this year. Yesterday, we just arrived home in Baltimore yesterday, after DRIVING nearly 24 hours, with three kids. "God as my witness" that will NEVER happen again. The drive on I-95 norhtbound was abysmal, horrible, hateful. You pick the misery-adjective, and it was that, and more.

We detoured around I-95 at JAX, only to come back to an even more clogged northbound arterty. We detoured again at SAV, this time, upon hitting the entrance ramp, cars were actively BACKING up off the entrance ramp!

That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I headed northwest to Columbia, SC, on Route 1. No traffic! Thence Northeast to Raliegh, NC. Again, No traffic! While it may have taken us longer, (certainly longer than than the nine hours I projected), it was fun, easy driving, like the old-days. Some two lane roads, non-chain restaurants, and lazy stops to stretch the old legs. We hop-scotched our way north, stopping only to pick up the next Red Box DVD.

I have already found our school district's spring break dates for next year, and have put a reminder on my calendar, when we are exactly 11 months out. On THAT DAY I will be making my Auto Train ROUND TRIP reservations.............

I have already found our school district's spring break dates for next year, and have put a reminder on my calendar, when we are exactly 11 months out. On THAT DAY I will be making my Auto Train ROUND TRIP reservations.............
I hope they don't change the date on you after you book your trip. My daughter's high school had off the entire week of Thanksgiving her freshman-junior years. So in April of her junior year I booked our first LD trip to Utah leaving on the Saturday before Thanksgiving to visit my other daughter and her husband. Then we find out they have school on Monday & Tuesday of that week. I wrote the school a note explaining the situation. Of course, she still had two "absent without excuse days" put on her records, I think, but it was worth it, though I'm not one to take my kids out of school for vacations, etc.

Nah, I highly doubt they will change the dates of the county's spring break, it's been published a while now. Even if they did, they'd have to do it soon, and my eleven month window-clock hasn't even started ticking, yet.

Thank you all for your kind words. I just realized also this gives us a chance to ride a different train. All of our trips up to this point have been the Silver Star, Silver Meoter and Crecent. I think I'll keep that little nugget a surprise until we get on the train.

Ryan - you are right. After we started adding up the cost of a rental car (and an oversized one at that for 3 people & a bicycle), it really made it a no brainer. And the shipping & hassle of the bicycle - this makes it easier. While I have never had an issue shipping a bike, a few of the guys I ride with has - and it seems to be incredible headaches filling out insurance claims, etc. It will be great that this is one big thing I won't have to worry about.

RRDude - that trip sounds so PAINFUL on so many levels. Wow. I am hoping this one return trip will be enough to remind my wife that they are no fun what so ever. We are going to try to break it up into two days but once you add all the meals, gas & the hotel - it makes the return trip via the Auto Train a lot more attractive.

Does anyone know the cancellation policy of the Auto Train? Maybe I will just book it & be prepared in case the dog days of summer kick in & a 18 hour + car ride does not sound that appetizing to the group on the way home.

I abhor driving I-95 and in a perfect world would never do so again. Ever.

Sadly, my wife's mother, sister, and brother all live in the Orlando area. We've tried all sorts of things to make it more palatable over the years..... taking Auto-Train north even though we then backtrack 9 hours southwesterly on I-81, driving to Savannah and taking the train from there, driving backroads as much as possible...... etc. etc. The least difficult option, sadly, has become a non-stop Southwest Airlines flight out of Greenville/Spartanburg, SC.

Of course my 'pipedream' new Amtrak train would be one originating in Asheville, NC going to Salisbury, Charlotte, and on to Columbia, SC connecting to/from the Silver Star. Put a through sleeper to Miami on that train and I would be set for life.

I abhor driving I-95 and in a perfect world would never do so again. Ever.
Sadly, my wife's mother, sister, and brother all live in the Orlando area. We've tried all sorts of things to make it more palatable over the years..... taking Auto-Train north even though we then backtrack 9 hours southwesterly on I-81, driving to Savannah and taking the train from there, driving backroads as much as possible...... etc. etc. The least difficult option, sadly, has become a non-stop Southwest Airlines flight out of Greenville/Spartanburg, SC.

Of course my 'pipedream' new Amtrak train would be one originating in Asheville, NC going to Salisbury, Charlotte, and on to Columbia, SC connecting to/from the Silver Star. Put a through sleeper to Miami on that train and I would be set for life.
You should check out Allegiant Air out of GSP. They prices are dirt cheat; although they only have 1 flight a day - 5 days a week and they fly into Sanford airport (not the MCO) but we are going to Greenville this weekend - 2 roundtrip tickets for less than 1.5 tanks of gas. Not bad for a 55 minute flight.

That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I headed northwest to Columbia, SC, on Route 1. No traffic! Thence Northeast to Raliegh, NC. Again, No traffic! While it may have taken us longer, (certainly longer than than the nine hours I projected), it was fun, easy driving, like the old-days. Some two lane roads, non-chain restaurants, and lazy stops to stretch the old legs. We hop-scotched our way north, stopping only to pick up the next Red Box DVD.
Going north from Columbia, north through Charlotte (I-77 up to I-81) is a nice drive, as well, along with stunning views of the Blue Ridge.

The detour drive off of I-77 up through the Piedmont area and Mt Airy, NC is also great. Be sure to get a pork chop sandwich at the Snappy Lunch and see the Andy Griffith Museum, if you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back