The Florida Rail Pass

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireman_Steve

Train Attendant
I am new to this forum and am pleased to have found it. I take advantage of the Florida Rail Pass and use it to commute from Sebring to Miami where I work as a firefighter for the City of Miami Beach.

I use the #97 and #98 trains most of the time and have enjoyed the commute via the rail.

I'm now hooked on train travel and rely on it for most of my interstate travel needs. Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum.

Have a great weekend

Steve

Welcome Steve!!! :D

I too, take part in the forum and it's nice to hear from a local.

I work for Amtrak and do the electrical repairs on the trains and #98 is the train I work on. I work at the Miami facility and have been here for 5 years. I worked on the MetroRail for 10 years.

Hope to hear from you in the near future and if you have any questions regarding Silver Service, please ask! :D

B)

Florida Rail Pass is the best thing since sliced bread. Any rumblings about discontinuing the program? My second pass expires in January 03. If so, I will renew sooner. Thanks Amtrak, for almost 20,000 miles of rail rides for 249 bucks.

I've only been sent to the Lounge Car for seating on full trains once, and that was last Christmas Eve, and that was like a party.

I attempted to laminate the first Florida Rail Pass and the heat turned it black and I needed a new one, but still got my value from the first.

Does Amtrak hold down publicity on the Florida Rail Pass? I have seen the same riders purchasing tickets trip after trip in FL and no one is suggesting FRP, unless it is another passenger.

Nope, there isn't. Amtrak doesn't need to seriously increase it's passenger load in the NE, so they don't offer much in the way of discounts. I'm not sure if there isn't some sort of monthly commuter pass for the Clocker's, but beyond that I've never heard or seen anything for the rest of the corridor.

NJT Monthly pass holders can use certain Clockers between NY-NWK-Metropark-New Brunswick-PJC-TRE, except NYP-NWK.

There are arrangements with certain commuter railroads whereby Amtrak honors monthly and/or weekly passes on certain trains. Yes, NJT is one of them. MARC and VRE are others. And Metrorail in the Los Angeles area recently started a program where Metrorail and Amtrak tickets are accepted on each others trains.

Superliner Diner said:
There are arrangements with certain commuter railroads whereby Amtrak honors monthly and/or weekly passes on certain trains. And Metrolink in the Los Angeles area recently started a program where Metrolink and Amtrak tickets are accepted on each others trains.
Check out the following link:

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/new_rider/r...rail_2_rail.asp

Pay particular attention to the following quote within that link:

"Amtrak Pacific Surfliner ticket holders will be able to ride ANY Metrolink train within the limits of their ticket at no additional charge."

Metrolink uses the honor system for fare collection. No one on board their trains collects tickets. There are occasionally ticket inpectors, and these are usually Los Angeles County Sheriff (LASO) Deputies. They have the authority to write an unticketed passenger a citation, which carries a pretty stiff fine.

A passenger could conceivably purchase a round-trip Amtrak ticket from Oxnard to Oceanside for $42.00 (or any other city pairs for even less money) and make unlimited trips on Metrolink's Ventura County and Orange County lines for the entire duration of the ticket's validity without ever paying a fare to Metrolink.

I wonder how many regular riders on Metrolink have discovered this loop hole and are using it.

:ph34r:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back