The Evils of Photography

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TampAGS

Service Attendant
An interesting article about the perils of taking photos of Amtrak trains, rail stations, and other public facilities in the post-9/11 world appeared in The New York Times today.

Picture This, and Risk Arrest

I love the comments about Stephen Colbert... I recall seeing a clips from the episode mentioned.

An interesting article about the perils of taking photos of Amtrak trains, rail stations, and other public facilities in the post-9/11 world appeared in The New York Times today.

Picture This, and Risk Arrest

I love the comments about Stephen Colbert... I recall seeing a clips from the episode mentioned.
The Colbert line is priceless: “This photography contest,” he said, “is Amtrak’s cleverest ruse since their so-called timetable.”

And in all seriousness, this story illustrates the slippery slope of allowing authorities--federal, state or local-- to put mindless regulations into effect without protest, on the basis that, "well, they are only a minor inconvenience."

At the end of the day, any restriction on the Constitutional rights that distinguish the US from other nations is one restriction too many.

If taking photos of Amtrak-related matters were a legitimate crime, 90% of the riders on any LD train would be under arrest! They'd have to turn the train into a holding pen!!

Hmm, maybe I should take a picture of Mrs. Ispolkom wearing a burka in front of each train we board. But considering the sombreros and serapes we're taking to wear while driving in Arizona on our next trip, that might require another suitcase. What should we wear for the Border Guards at Havre, Mont.?

Hmm, maybe I should take a picture of Mrs. Ispolkom wearing a burka in front of each train we board. But considering the sombreros and serapes we're taking to wear while driving in Arizona on our next trip, that might require another suitcase. What should we wear for the Border Guards at Havre, Mont.?
How about a Royal Canadian Mounties uniform? That would REALLY throw them for a loop!!!

This story is actually fairly old. I saw it on the Colbert Report over a year ago.

Steve
It is an old story, but now that it's been brought up I can mention that due to this Amtrak canceled all future photo contests.

Thanks, Amtrak cops!

Do any cops play by the rules and not make believe rules that exist only in their head. Why is it that people abuse the power. Give them a badge and they go on a power trip.

Looks like a "closed access" site they want you to sign up for. Can you cut/paste the story? Thanks!
I'm not sure why you can't access the article... I don't have any sort of membership or account, and I can see the entire article.

This story is actually fairly old. I saw it on the Colbert Report over a year ago.
Yes, the Amtrak incident iteself was not recent but the article (which is recent) uses it as a prime example of the paranoia over photography in public places.

Do any cops play by the rules and not make believe rules that exist only in their head. Why is it that people abuse the power. Give them a badge and they go on a power trip.
Yes, of course there are Cops who follow the rules. We usually don't hear about them because that's not news. We usually only hear about the very bad ones.

Some people abuse power just because they can. Some do it as payback. Most that I have met in my limited contact have followed the rules.

The same idiots are in the Albuquerque station. I was taking a picture of my wife and friends while waiting for the Chief. We were in the cafe part. The background was a blank wall with one of those portable ATMs also there. The cafe person came over and said I had to stop because it was a "federal building".

The same idiots are in the Albuquerque station. I was taking a picture of my wife and friends while waiting for the Chief. We were in the cafe part. The background was a blank wall with one of those portable ATMs also there. The cafe person came over and said I had to stop because it was a "federal building".
Why are you surprised? Are you not aware that the Albuqerque station is very, very high on the lists of terrorists wanting to destroy America? It's obviously a key communications center between the East and West Coasts. With its destruction, the SW trains would be unable to stop, depriving New Mexico of needed revenue and forcing its bankruptcy, leading to a cascade of failing states throughout the Southwest.

One little picture could change the world!!!!

Don't you have faith in Amtrak to always do the right thing????

Especially when the fate of our nation is upon us?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back