The demise of the CCC?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertF

Service Attendant
Live from the Texas Eagle out of Chicago ...

It seems that the CCC might be dead. Why do I say this:

1. The attendant is now calling it the CCD - Cross Country Diner.

2. There is a sight-seer lounge attached, and guess what, the cafe IS open in THAT car.

3. The CCD is being used fully as a diner, thats it.

I talked to the attendant. Based on what he said (clearly not an official voice for Amtrak) the CCC is likely dead. Nobody likes it. Nobody.

It also sounds like the appetizers are back. I read in a thread that they had gone missing but the attendant said they were on the car. I'll check it out and we will see.... also they just made the dining car announcement... brisket!! Mmmmmm.... don't remember Brisket on the menu before.

Oh Good! I'll be on the TE in 3 weeks and based on a TE trip I took last February when the CCC was first introduced, did not come away a big fan of the car. In fact none of the crews I talked with liked it either.

Amtrak should consider using that on short haul Superliner trains, such as the Heartland Flyer, especially when the Kansas leg opens. Or perhaps it could become a Cross Country Parlour for Sleeper pax on long haul trains. In that case the kitchen could be used for overflow, assuming Amtrak could justify the expense of additional crew versus the potential of increased revenue from increasing ridership.

Funny, I just read somewhere last week, I think, they just released another of the CCC cars after being refit.
Perhaps they have contracted out work they can't just cancel and they are readjusting the dining service ... I don't know but I'm here and it's not a CCC....

The attendant probably is just not calling it the right thing (?)
The Cross Country Cafe is on the Texas Eagle along with the lounge car for the summer only. Once the busy season is over, the lounge will be removed.

2. There is a sight-seer lounge attached, and guess what, the cafe IS open in THAT car.

I talked to the attendant. Based on what he said (clearly not an official voice for Amtrak) the CCC is likely dead. Nobody likes it. Nobody.

It also sounds like the appetizers are back. I read in a thread that they had gone missing but the attendant said they were on the car. I'll check it out and we will see.... also they just made the dining car announcement... brisket!! Mmmmmm.... don't remember Brisket on the menu before.
I was on the TE from Tucson, which of course is actually the Sunset Limited with one thru car I didn't get to ride on because of overflow, and the SL used the traditional dining/lounge cafe service I remember from all the past years I used to ride Amtrak going back to my first California Zephyr ride in 1984. I was only on the "real" Texas Eagle from San Antonio to Taylor, Texas and food service wasn't open even past Austin, so I have no idea what was used there. I'll find out next Monday on my return leg.

Funny, I just read somewhere last week, I think, they just released another of the CCC cars after being refit.
Perhaps they have contracted out work they can't just cancel and they are readjusting the dining service ... I don't know but I'm here and it's not a CCC....
Just to be clear, I was in no way questioning what you said. I thought it was funny that they released another and then decided to kill it.

Course, the crews are not always the best people for news like this. We have heard so many reports from crews that have never happened.

Just to be clear, I was in no way questioning what you said. I thought it was funny that they released another and then decided to kill it.

Course, the crews are not always the best people for news like this. We have heard so many reports from crews that have never happened.
:) Didn't think you were calling me a Liar. I'd understood that the lounge car had been CLOSED with respect to food service on earlier runs. It is very open now which leads me to believe that they are looking at changing things. Maybe.

Anyway, makes my trip better. :)

out of Chicago almost an hour late waiting for some connections.

The Cross Country Cafe is on the Texas Eagle along with the lounge car for the summer only. Once the busy season is over, the lounge will be removed.
As I said, my understanding was that the lounge car was not serving food.... Well, it is. The CCC is only doing breakfast, lunch and dinner on a schedule, not the all day fare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob I was in chicago today and tried to catch a look at the texas eagle but other metra trains were blocking it and I had a train to catch of my own, did the texas eagle have two or one engines even though it usually has one p42?

Just out of curiosity thanks.

This is exactly what the implementation manager told us on a May trip when it first started running. Again, my biggest fear is the City and the Eagle having the same consists with 2,000 hard miles between complete cleaning and servicing in NOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob I was in chicago today and tried to catch a look at the texas eagle but other metra trains were blocking it and I had a train to catch of my own, did the texas eagle have two or one engines even though it usually has one p42? Just out of curiosity thanks.
One I believe. I will walk down next time I have an opportunity and make sure but I am pretty sure I only see one P42. Currently stuck in St. Louis waiting for a freight that has a broken knuckle to clear the track.

This is exactly what the implementation manager told us on a May trip when it first started running. Again, my biggest fear is the City and the Eagle having the same consists with 2,000 hard miles between complete cleaning and servicing in NOL.
A little more bizarre.... I was a bit curious when i walked to the sleeper car because it looked like there were TWO CCC's attached to the train.

I walked through both cars and there is not a lounge attached but two CCC's... Again, one doing normal meal service and the other acting as the lounge car. Weird. Wonder if there was a bad car order or what. I was told by the conductor that BOTH were going to LA and BOTH would return to Chicago.

Been sitting here in St. Louis for about 3 hours now waiting for track to clear.... Glad I'm in no rush... I like late trains as long as they don't run out of food!!

A bit more on the trip and the CCC... I was talking to one of the attendants. Has anyone heard that the Texas congressional delegation has complained about the CCC? Thats what I've been told and that Texas has threatened to withdraw funding from Amtrak because they are not happy with the changes.

Also, on this trip they have two servers instead of one server, which is a change. The second server is a new employee so this could just be training rather than a change in policy. I understand from the Senior server though that there are a number of changes that are going to be made because people has complained.

That being said, she did tell me that if we are not happy with the new CCC, or any service, that we should WRITE Amtrak. She said that makes a bigger impact than just about anything else.

So.... just passing along what I've been told... If you think the CCC stinks, then write a letter.

Rob I was in chicago today and tried to catch a look at the texas eagle but other metra trains were blocking it and I had a train to catch of my own, did the texas eagle have two or one engines even though it usually has one p42? Just out of curiosity thanks.
To confirm, 1 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back