The Definition of "Railfanning"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootman4U

Train Attendant
We see this term used a great deal and not to open some sort of "bag of worms" here but what IS the definition?

By that I ask, if you are a "rail buff" or a "rail enthusiast" or a "railfan" and you are riding the train are you "railfanning?"

To be "railfanning" do you HAVE to be out taking pictures?

IMO, just BEING on, around, etc., railroad equipment is in its own way "railfanning."

I read a trip report once and the writer was riding a train and at one somewhat lengthy station stop they reported getting off the train, putting on some sort of "engineer's cap" and going forward to inspect the locomotive (externally)...the comment was, "I began railfanning."

When I was in the UK a couple years ago to take yet another steam locomotive driver's course I didn't consider that "railfanning" but rather just doing what I like to do.

Sorry for the long drawn out post but hopefully some of you understand what I am saying/asking.

Thanks

I'd say if you like trains, and go out of your way to ride a train vs. car/Dog/plane that qualifies. I stopped taking pix years ago, got tired of looking at photos with no people/friends/relatives in them. But, I sure like reviewing all the pix other people take!

Don't model much, but been a subscriber to Railway Age, Modern Railroads, Trains, etc., etc., for as long as I can remember.

The range from "Foamer" to "Casual" is pretty broad.

I'd say if you subscribe to the "There's not a train leaving the station I wouldn't ride" theory, then you are stuck as rail fan for life...........

Question is, is it hereditary or a learned behavior?

LOL! I can certainly relate to both replies above. I definitely fall into the category of "if there's a train leaving then I'd love to be ON it" type and have been absolutely fascinated with railroads from very early childhood. Since then I have periodically "encountered" a whole gamut of enthusiast (to use the European term) types...including those which someone told me should be referred to as "the steam people" (and the remark was made in a somewhat dismissive/eyes rolling manner..but I've since come to understand the attitude and outlook).

I'm not sure if this 'thing' is hereditary or not...what IS it about a train, a streetcar (NO busses!!!! <G>), etc. that gets one's immediate attention? I have been in heaven of a sort every time I take the regulator in hand on a steam locomotive but I think I would be just as elated in the cab of a diesel and I certainly love being around electric locomotives which is one reason I enjoy riding the rails in Europe so much.

A few of my friends I am sure thought I was crazy this past November when I purposely flew to Stockholm so I could begin a rail-exclusive trip from there through Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, France, to the final destination in Barcelona but I loved every minute of it.

Life is short and for me, getting all the shorter so I figure you have to do it when you can.

Thanks for the replies...they are appreciated and fully understood.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say if you like trains, and go out of your way to ride a train vs. car/Dog/plane that qualifies. I stopped taking pix years ago, got tired of looking at photos with no people/friends/relatives in them. But, I sure like reviewing all the pix other people take!
Don't model much, but been a subscriber to Railway Age, Modern Railroads, Trains, etc., etc., for as long as I can remember.

The range from "Foamer" to "Casual" is pretty broad.

I'd say if you subscribe to the "There's not a train leaving the station I wouldn't ride" theory, then you are stuck as rail fan for life...........

Question is, is it hereditary or a learned behavior?
That's a good definition. I like to ride trains and watch them. I like to read everything I can about them. I know way too much about railroading. I don't take many photos any more since mine aren't that good and I can find a ton of better photos in magazines and online. Some fans are obsessive about photography, they're more photo freaks that rail enthusiasts, but each to their own.

I try to support efforts to improve and expand rail passenger service by belonging to organzations such as NARP and the Midwest High Speed Rail Association and pushing for a pro-rail political agenda.

My affection for trains is partially hereditary since my dad was a railroad man and I spent a lot of time when I was young with him in his office at the local depot and riding around to various rail yards, towers and offices. I'm much more of a fan than he was. It was a job to him, and he discouraged me from following him into the business since railroads were cutting jobs at a rapid pace in the 1960s and 70s. I became a journalist and was able to cover railroad and transit issues as part of my job.

I've identified 9 distinct sub species of rail fans:

1. Political Animals - They want you to write your congressman for rail improvements.
  2. Emotional - Expressive, they either complain about the service or gush about the great scenery.
  3. Masters of the Universe - The most points, the most miles, the most trains taken, the biggest loophole...
  4. Dreamers - Always dreaming about trains that could be, should be, would be, or have been.
  5. Photographers - Producing a marvelous collection of beautiful imagery.
  6. Timetablers - They know every route, every timetable, every car by number, every locomotive...
  7. Model Railroaders - They want to replicate it all in miniature.
  8. World Dominators - They know how they would run Amtrak.
  9. Storytellers - Trip reporters, "back in the day" stories, always something eventful

I really don't think there can be a strict definition of a railfan. Some people take it farther than others. I, for one, would consider myself a big railfain in the sense that I love trains, go out of my way to travel on them, and enjoy every one of my subway, commuter train, and long distance train rides. I've made time to take pictures, find good spots to watch, and I will most certainly stop a conversation and listen if I hear a train rumbling in the distance. However, I don't know many of the things some of the more hardcore railfans know such as regional railroads, locomotive and coach models, or AGR loopholes.

I think that if you're passionate about railroading and celebrate it in your own way, whether that is going to take pictures, build a model, or ride them as often as you can, you are a railfan.

By the traditions of the railfans I hang with, there are two basic sub-species.

"Daisy pickers" and "Foamers"

While I don't consider simply riding an act of railfanning, I do "railfan" while riding. Railfan activities while on board would include:

Listening to the crew on my scanner.

Trying to spot mileposts and locate the exact location on the railroad.

Trying to get speed by time between mileposts

Photography

etc.

I recently finished the book, "Waiting On A Train" by James McCommons and loved how he looked at "railfans". I've always felt a bit odd with this group cuz I could care less about coal trains, semiphores, Genesis engines etc and so forth. Could CARE LESS! But I just love travelling by rail. I don't sit around and take picture after picture of things either. I like passenger rail today and yesteryear and thats about it. James McCommons finally made me feel good about not having the desire to know "everything" within the rail world. Its just who I am and I don't look down at anyone who's into all of this. I can't say I'm a "casual "railfan because I have travelled around 27,000 miles on Amtrak in 3 years. I have gotten alot of people that I know to take a trip on Amtrak or to at least be open about it. So yes, there's all sorts here and thats the kind of railfan I am! :)

Maybe this is a good time to ask what 'foamer' really means.

Or maybe more to the point, how the term was derived.

I have an idea but since this is the only place where I've ever seen it used to describe a possibly over-the-top train fanatic I'd like to know the history/background (and possibly disqualify myself from such distinction :p )

I've read that it has to do with the fact that some railfans are so rabidly excited about trains that they literally foam at the mouth. (obviously hyperbole, but there you go)

I've read that it has to do with the fact that some railfans are so rabidly excited about trains that they literally foam at the mouth. (obviously hyperbole, but there you go)
That is my understanding, and what I understood it was coined by railroad employees. However, despite its origin as a term of derision, it has been embraced by a lot of us, at least among ourselves.

1. Political Animals - They want you to write your congressman for rail improvements.
  2. Emotional - Expressive, they either complain about the service or gush about the great scenery.
  3. Masters of the Universe - The most points, the most miles, the most trains taken, the biggest loophole...
  4. Dreamers - Always dreaming about trains that could be, should be, would be, or have been.
  6. Timetablers - They know every route, every timetable, every car by number, every locomotive...
  9. Storytellers - Trip reporters, "back in the day" stories, always something eventful
One more.

Those folks who volunteer at tourist railroads. They take the hobby past modeling and get there hands dirty on real cars and locomotives. I spend just about every Saturday volunteering my time at one, and love every minute of it.

That was my first thought as well.

I'm glad to report that I'm not there (yet). :wacko:

That is my understanding, and what I understood it was coined by railroad employees. However, despite its origin as a term of derision, it has been embraced by a lot of us, at least among ourselves.

I always thought it was slang for an angry person-so rabidly angry about a subject that they are foaming at the mouth!

When you use the word rabid I think sick, crazy, out of control.

But with trains, I generally think you are just foaming at the mouth excitedly about trains-not rabid. Just a fun sort of thing. :D

No, not always hyperbole, I used to run a shortline. It's real. It's scary too.

I have read a very simple answer to the original question. I forgot whether it was a childrens book, or a magazine arcticle, or whatever, but it was titled "I Like Trains".

If you agree at all with that sentiment, than yes, you are a railfan.

I have read a very simple answer to the original question. I forgot whether it was a childrens book, or a magazine arcticle, or whatever, but it was titled "I Like Trains". If you agree at all with that sentiment, than yes, you are a railfan.
Well said.

But I would definitely argue that there are levels within the universe. Don't get me wrong, if I can snap a shot or two trackside, I'm going to. Hell last week on my way to JAX for a wedding I built a couple of hours into my travel time to hit the funnel. I had the tripod with video camera and still camera, I had the radio, and I knew what was coming my way, but I am not on the edge of obsessive like some people are. And don't get me wrong, you have to do what you love in life. But balance is key. Stay in touch with reality and some degree of fashion and we won't have any problems. :lol:

I, like nearly all of us, dabble in several of the above. But the big ticket item for me is number six. Of course the word "every" is a bit inflated, but we all know that. Number nine would be my second most likely.

I do have interests and hobbies otherwise. (such as wild animals, which is why I will go to the St. Louis zoo on an extra day the AU trip.)

Yes, I am interested in the destination as well as how I got there.

But still I am most at home awash in a sea of timetables, many of them quite old by some standards.

Evey time I board a train and settle into my room or seat I feel, "This is all mine and I am at home.This is where I belong".

For those who do not know my oft-repeated story, I was bitten by the railbug at age three. No cure in sight.

There is a thrill which comes from hanging my jacket up on the clothes rack which is curiously missing when I hang my clothes up at home. I guess that is why I often just toss them over a chair when I walk in at home.

I guess hanging up clothes is more sanitary than some other methods of establishing territory. Don't think about that too long.

My amended list (after suggestions above):

12 distinct sub species of rail fans:

10. Grinners - Happy to be riding a train, any train.
  11. Volunteers - People who volunteer time as station guides and at tourist railroad
  12. Uncategorized - They just like trains
Mine is type 4 by the way.

My amended list (after suggestions above):

11. Volunteers - People who volunteer time as station guides and at tourist railroad
Mine is type 4 by the way.

I think you forgot that "always has a scanner but is NOT obsessive" category LOL

im number 12 just like trains. I like to flim them i like to ride them. I also take it safe taking video. I also don't stand outside is subzero temps in 5 feet of snow just to film a train I rather be home nice and warm watching TV.

I am numbers 2, 3, and 10! I'm partly #6, but only the "They know every route" part, not the rest.

I have other parts of me that fall under #12.

Right now I'm 2,3, 10, and a little bit of 6. I'm constantly checking routes and prices for trips as they pop into my head and I have an almost photographic memory for numbers, so I'm starting to memorize some of the times accidentally. Hopefully, I'll also be #11 soon. I plan to volunteer for California's station host program when I get home from this loophole trip. Might as well make myself useful while I'm joyriding up and down the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back