The Chief is cruising behind California Zephyr across Illinois

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frequentflyer

Conductor
Though they left Chicago a hour apart, both trains bunched up at Napersville and per Amtrak tracking the Chief is not that far behind the Zephr cruising across the Illinois plains. Never seen two long distance trains so close to each other going to the same direction.

I'm not sure how close they are, but a few years ago in WPK both Silvers southbound were about an hour apart. (And the "late" train was ahead of the "early" train!) And again this fall in ORL, both northbound Silvers arrived within I think 30 minutes of each other.

Though they left Chicago a hour apart, both trains bunched up at Napersville and per Amtrak tracking the Chief is not that far behind the Zephr cruising across the Illinois plains. Never seen two long distance trains so close to each other going to the same direction.
That will be California please. Some of us California natives really don't like "Cali", much like San Franciscans don't like "Frisco". Thanks.

That will be California please. Some of us California natives really don't like "Cali", much like San Franciscans don't like "Frisco". Thanks.
No offense meant.................LOL...........And people in Texas do not like it inferred we all have a pair of boots, cowboy hat, and a couple of cows in our backyard.

Title changed.

And people in Texas do not like it inferred we all have a pair of boots, cowboy hat, and a couple of cows in our backyard.
Then people in Texas shouldn't infer that. And in the meantime I'll show some respect by not implying it.

Just checked the status. The California Zephyr is now arriving in Mt. Pleasant IA. It hit 80MPH between Burlington and Mt. Pleasant. The SW Chief is now moving at 0MPH but at least it got beyond the split.
Speed limit for most long distance trains are 79 mph, so it was interesting seeing 80-82 mph show up on the GPS. Not saying anyone is speeding, but smart of BNSF to put the late California Zephr in front of the ontime SW Chief.

smart of BNSF to put the late California Zephr in front of the ontime SW Chief.
The Zephyr is normally one hour ahead of the Chief. I am sure BNSF received those trains in that order from Amtrak at Union Station and pretty much kept it that way since the Zephyr was not that much delayed anyway. This is not ATC you know. There are only so many tracks the dispatcher has to play with. And normally they will not take the trouble to orchestrate an overtaking unless it is absolutely necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense meant.................LOL...........And people in Texas do not like it inferred we all have a pair of boots, cowboy hat, and a couple of cows in our backyard.
Mumble: I once hailed from Frisco, that one in Cali [still live in Cali] - and I don't care what you call the place... as long as you don't call me late for dinner ;-) Actually, personally, I find this thin-skinnedness problematic at best, ie, the tone of your voice is much more important and much more telling to me than your choice of words. Besides: as far as I can tell - we're all friends around here (this forum).

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

No offense meant, just trying to point out that it annoys some of us, not to force anyone to change. People will continue to use abbreviations. I was taught to be careful with names of other people and places, it is just courteous.

No offense meant, just trying to point out that it annoys some of us, not to force anyone to change. People will continue to use abbreviations. I was taught to be careful with names of other people and places, it is just courteous.
Absolutely have to agree: courtesy is always the best policy - no question about that.

But I think just maybe that includes not forcing my views onto someone else, ie, I don't own the state or the state's name, I merely live here. So, if they want to call if Cali - that's fine by me... they have as much right to call it what they want as I do. Maybe not... but that's my NH farm-boy point of view.

:) ON

Now, on the other-hand, if you call my donkey anything other than Lucy, then that's rude.

:) OFF

I'm not sure how close they are, but a few years ago in WPK both Silvers southbound were about an hour apart. (And the "late" train was ahead of the "early" train!) And again this fall in ORL, both northbound Silvers arrived within I think 30 minutes of each other.
I remember last year both southbound Silvers arrived into Winter Park about 10 minutes apart from each other. 91 came in running late. About 10 minutes after 91 left, 97 came around the corner. That was surprising given how both trains were close to each other like that.

I remember last year both southbound Silvers arrived into Winter Park about 10 minutes apart from each other. 91 came in running late. About 10 minutes after 91 left, 97 came around the corner. That was surprising given how both trains were close to each other like that.
As long they do not enter each other's block, both trains would see green lights.

I agree with you! We are all friends here on AU - and it doesn't matter if we are white or black or red or yellow or purple or pink! Just don't call us from RI "Yankees" (that evil empire). This is Red Sox Nation! :D
But do watch out for those purple people eaters. :lol:

Aloha

Mele Kalikimaka

I agree with you! We are all friends here on AU - and it doesn't matter if we are white or black or red or yellow or purple or pink! Just don't call us from RI "Yankees" (that evil empire). This is Red Sox Nation! :D
But do watch out for those purple people eaters. :lol:

Aloha

Mele Kalikimaka
Doesn't that depend on if they are Purple-People eaters, or Purple People-Eaters... if they're the former, then other than the most necrotic we should be safe, no? ;-) Merry Christmas, even to the PPE's.

As long they do not enter each other's block, both trains would see green lights.
Maybe I'm just missing something but having green indicators in the same direction for two adjacent occupied blocks would seem to defeat the purpose of having block protection in the first place. It only turns read after the train has already crossed into an occupied block? Makes no sense to me.

That's what FF is saying. If they are in separate blocks, both would see green, but if they're both in the same block, the 2nd train would have a red signal. It's unclear where "the corner" is or how big the block is. (Just FYI as an example, at KIN the nearest curve is 3-5 miles from the station.)

That's what FF is saying. If they are in separate blocks, both would see green, but if they're both in the same block, the 2nd train would have a red signal. It's unclear where "the corner" is or how big the block is. (Just FYI as an example, at KIN the nearest curve is 3-5 miles from the station.)
If two trains are occupying the same block hasn't the system already failed? If not why not?

Back