THE CANADIAN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOUNG FAITHFUL

Train Attendant
HOPING TO TAKE MY FIRST TRIP ON "THE CANADIAN" THIS FALL. WILL BE USING BOTH VIA & AMTRAK ON THIS TRIP. IS THERE ANY PREFERENCE ON WHICH DIRECTION TO TRAVEL THE CANADIAN IN TERMS OF DAYLIGHT SCENERY?

Hello,

I recently travelled on the Canadian Vancouver to Toronto. And most people would say they prefer the Toronto- Vanvouver leg due to the 25 hour day because of going across time zones I think I still prefer the Vancouver Toronto route. On the Vancouver- Toronto route you expericance the Rocky Mountains on your first full day on your train which is the "best" scenery on the trip, all the other scenery though is still great. I liked this because after your first full day of being "overwhelemed" by the Rocky Mountains you can relax a bit more and apreciate the rest of the journey. Coming the other way you look foward to the Rocky Mountains and sometimes dont get to appreciate some of the the beautiful scenery that surronds you as much as you would. This is just my personal oppion others will vary. Either way it is a phenomanal trip!!!! You can see either mine or Bills trip reports in the trip repots section.

in JESUS

gavin

I recently traveled in both directions and enjoyed one direction as much as the other. The thing which surpised me was how neat the scenery was even before you get to the mountians. I would say, don't worry about it....just enjoy.

I had taken the trip 30 plus years ago and did remember that, westbound, it is a long time before you get to the mountains. Just relax and enjoy what your seeing while you are seeing it. The mountains will spring up soon enough.

The stop- over in Jasper was neater than I had anticipated. Pure tourist town but quite beautiful; kind of neat, lots of bus tours and another trian or two originate there, it seems. Lots of people on an and off. Sort of like Grand Junction on the CZ route.

Look on the trip reports section of this forum and you will see two postings by me plus postings by Gavin and others which might help you.

As long as we are talking about this train. I just booked passage in March. I was wondering if these cars on the Canadian are leftovers from CP and CN or did VIA buy a bunch of rolling stock from DRGW and Amtrak to add to their fleet. They sure do have some nice domes and obs/dome cars if the website is to be believed.

Very much most if not all from CP. Probably not much CN since their trains were smoothsided and brownish and did not have fluted stainless steel sides. Whether any from DRGW or Amtrak, I would think little if any. Good quesiton, though, as its equipment does resemble very much the pre-Amtrak CZ, DRGW and all.

The CP equipment was new in 1955, about the same for CN equipment.

Yep. That's what their press material says that it was built in 1955. It's been almost 30 years since I've ridden in a 1950s sleeper car. I'm really looking forward to spending three days on that train. Should be quite a trip. Last spring I took the Empire Builder and now will follow up with its Canadian neighbor.. I'll be curious to see how the scenery compares. Of course I expect the accommodation to be much better but then I'm paying for it, too.

I just got some good info from a railfan friend in Canada. Yes, nearly all of the equipment is the original CP.

Exceptions, some baggage cars could be former UP.

Some coaches could be former Amtrak, originally being ACL, NYC, PRR and RF&P.

Enjoy, and be sure to read my two trip reports because I go into some points about the differences you can expect, for better and for worse.

Bill: I just read your reports and found them very helpful. I also see that VIA has a brochure you can download that has details about the route and lots of the cities you are going through. That kind of thing is very helpful. I had one of those that dated from Great Northern days that I used on my Empire Builder trip. Thanks again.

BTW, the VIA web site talks about upper and lower roomettes. That sounds like the old duplex style sleepers. The only roomettes I've been in on the old streamliners were all on the same level. Anybody know which it is on the Canadian. I'm booked on this train next Monday. I'm also assuming I'll have room in their for one bag.

The predominant sleeping car equipment on the Canadian (called "Manor" cars) have the regular roomette which you remember from the past.

Some of the other sleepers (named "Chateau') also run sometimes on the Canadian and they are the duplex roomettes of old.

I have gotten the impression that more and more duplex roomettes have made their way to the Canadian in recent years, but that the regular roomettes are still the most often used.

Yes, you will have room for a bag.

Thanks, Bill. I'm really looking forward to my trip tho it's still in the 20s for highs in Toronto. Brrrrrr.

Panama clipper, be sure and give us a report when you return. Meant to wish you well, but guess you are already on the train as I type this.

Young and faithful(who started this one) hope you have a good trip in the fall.

My wife and I are on Via #1 on May 3 from Toronto to Jasper, Blue & Gold Service, then a few days in that area working our way down to Banff and then on the Rocky Mountaineer, Gold Service, to Vancouver. Can hardly wait!!

I'll be purchasing the North American railpass for this trip, which I'll probably be taking in late November. Here is tentative routing:

1) Regional from NYP-DC, connect to #29 for CHI.

2) Spend night in CHI (have to go to the blues clubs!!)

3) Catch first train to DET, catch tunnel bus to Windsor, then VIA to Toronto.

Spend night there.

4) Next morning, catch VIA to Niagara Falls, spend 3 to 4 hours there, then catch #64 back to Toronto. Spend another night there.

5) Ride "CANADIAN" to Vancouver.

6) If on time, ride thruway bus to seattle to make connection with CASCADES TO Portland. Spend night in Portland.

7) Ride #11 to LA, spend two nights there.

8) Ride morning SURFLINER to San Diego, spend a few hours there.

9) Fly San Diego to NYC.

I wish i could take an LD back to nyc but I only have 1 1/2 weeks for vacation so flying a portion of this is a necessary evil.

One question I hope can be answered..VIA RAIL goes to Niagara Falls, Ontario. Is bus or taxi service avaiable to the US side? I have to board #64 from the american side of Niagara Falls. I know there are geniuses on this forum who can help me.

:) :) :) :rolleyes:

I've been to Niagara Falls. Not sure about Taxi's etc. to the US side, but you can easily walk across the bridges over to the US side. The last time I was there was about a week prior to 9/11 and crossing over through customs was pretty easy and almost a joke. I would imagine (hopefully) it had tightened up, so you may want to allow some extra time to cross. I hope I do not offend anyone but at least in 2001 the US side was a dump compared to the Canadian side. My wife and I stayed on the US side, but spent most of our time on the Canadian side. But if you get to the US side, definately do the New York State Park, that was very nice. Oh yeah, also get a beef on wick sandwich on the US Side. Awesome!! But the rest of the US side leaves something to be desired.

What bridges are close to the VIA station? It's been a long time since I've been to Niagara Falls, but I do recall my parents driving over the rainbow bridge.

Also, I might consider starting my trip NYP to MTL, staying a couple of hours in that delightful city, then riding the overnight "ENTERPRISE" to Toronto and spending the night there. What is the equipment like on the enterprise?

YOUNG FAITHFUL said:
What bridges are close to the VIA station? It's been a long time since I've been to Niagara Falls, but I do recall my parents driving over the rainbow bridge.
Also, I might consider starting my trip NYP to MTL, staying a couple of hours in that delightful city, then riding the overnight "ENTERPRISE" to Toronto and spending the night there. What is the equipment like on the enterprise?
I'll have to think about the bridge question a bit, but I know that there is one that's not too far away.

However, why don't you just board 64 on the Canadian side. The Niagra Falls station on the US side is a dump, and I don't think that it's all that convienent to reach.

As for the Enterprise, it uses the new Renaissance cars. More info on those cars can be found here.

I think one of the conditions of the north american railpass is at least one segment of travel must be taken between the US & Canada by train. Don't know if it applies to amtrak thruway travel from Vancouver to Seattle. That is why I would have to board #64 on the US side.

YOUNG FAITHFUL said:
I think one of the conditions of the north american railpass is at least one segment of travel must be taken between the US & Canada by train. Don't know if it applies to amtrak thruway travel from Vancouver to Seattle. That is why I would have to board #64 on the US side.
Quite right, I wasn't thinking about the pass when I wrote that. I'm not sure if the bus would qualify, however based upon the verbiage on the website, the bus should qualify.

I would recommend however going with the idea of taking the Adirondack to Montreal, instead. Why go through the hassle of crossing the boarder twice? Then there is the fact as I mentioned above, that the US Niagra Falls station isn't very nice and it's not in an easy to reach location either.

Back