The Canadian: Winter vs. Spring, 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fare you see on the VIA site is in Canadian dollars and Canadian taxes, so what have you found the USD amount to be in comparison?

For Seniors traveling, does VIA honor any senior discounts or would only Canadian citizens qualify for senior discounts?

If I take my daughter with me (i am 70, she 40), what room would be the best for us in your opinion?

Thanks.

The Canadian Dollar "Floats" against the US Dollar and has been "Weak" for the past several years. ( ie $1CDN=65-75 cents US so $1,000 CDN= $650-$750 US).

There is a Goods and Service Tax on almost everything in Canada including VIA Fares. ( a combination of Federal and Provencial Tax that varies from Provence to Provence)

Senior Fares are for Anyone over 60.

If you don't mind Sharing a Section(Upper and LowerBerths) y'all will get the Best Fare and still receive all the Sleeper Benefits that Pricey Cabin and Bedroom pax enjoy.They have the most comfortable Beds and Bedding I've ever had on a Train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update. I am looking at what my 2018 rail excursion will be, so considering the Canadian. AS long as my heath holds, I plan a yearly long trip, a few short ones. I thought the Canadian dollar price on the site was higher than what would pay in USD. Good suggestion about the upper and lower berths.

If you don't mind Sharing a Section(Upper and LowerBerths) y'all will get the Best Fare and still receive all the Sleeper Benefits that Pricey Cabin and Bedroom pax enjoy.They have the most comfortable Beds and Bedding I've ever had on a Train.
Superliner upper berths are not easy entry nor easy sleeping. How do the upper Section berths on VIA Canadian compare to Amtrak Superliner upper berths?

The Upper Berths on VIA in the Sections(Budd Sleeper)don't have a Window but have plenty of HeadRoom, and the Bed is the most comfortable I've ever expierenced on a Train.

One uses a Ladder, just like in the Superliner Bedrooms, to climb up into the Upper Berth which has a heavy curtain covering the side of the Berth instead of a wall to ensure privacy.

The biggest drawback is the lack of Storage space, passengers must check all large bags, and only small carryons and packs ( also small) are permitted in the Sleepers.

The attendants are very good at finding places to hang jackets,sweaters etc but at night your personal stuff has to placed inside your Berth.

We will use this information in planning our father son bucket list trip on the Canadian, probably Vancouver-Toronto during the off season. Thanks for the help.

One uses a Ladder, just like in the Superliner Bedrooms, to climb up into the Upper Berth which has a heavy curtain covering the side of the Berth instead of a wall to ensure privacy.
If you scroll down here 5 pictures...you will see how the Sections/Berths are set up in day/night configuration. Unlike a Superliner Roomette....they are open to the aisle during the day and only a closed heavy curtain at night.

http://members.kos.net/sdgagnon/canb.html

This is from a CPR brochure from the 1960s. Other equipment shown are Duplex Roomettes, VIA calls these "Cabin for 1'. Another style of Cabin for 1 in Manor cars have the rooms all on the main floor and no steep-up.

The Bedrooms shown are now called 'Cabin for 2'

My wife and I rode the Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto a couple of years ago, in late January, using a 2 person cabin. We found the trip totally enjoyable despite being -12F in Winnipeg when we got there. Nice to have a toilet in the unit, and the shower down the hall was warm and comfortable. We did not find the short days to be a problem, since there was snow everywhere and the nights were not super dark. The Park car is just wonderful and I wouldn't do a trip of that length if I could not get access.

We pulled into Toronto around noon. I had scheduled an evening flight out of Pearson so we had plenty of time.

The Upper Berths on VIA in the Sections(Budd Sleeper)don't have a Window but have plenty of HeadRoom, and the Bed is the most comfortable I've ever expierenced on a Train.

The biggest drawback is the lack of Storage space, passengers must check all large bags, and only small carryons and packs ( also small) are permitted in the Sleepers.

The attendants are very good at finding places to hang jackets,sweaters etc but at night your personal stuff has to placed inside your Berth.
There is enough room in the berth for personal stuff. I had a jacket, backpack and large purse and didn't feel crowded in.

I had a lower berth and will agree with the "most comfortable bed on the train" statement. My small suit case fit under the bed at night, and there was space for the small suitcase for my upper berth companion under my bed. The only public electric outlet was in the common bathroom down the hall, as far as I could tell. I had a scanner, and knowing the lack of outlets in a compartment, I brought a supply of batteries to last the trip. Also, custom has it that the person occupying the lower berth rides forward during the day, while the upper berth occupant rides backwards. Not a problem if you're in the dome all day, though!!

Back