The Auto Train-All opinions welcomed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUESTION:

With all this posturing by the Bush administration to eliminate the funding for Amtrak, as well as all this talk by Gunn to push the NEC into a separate operation, where does this leave the fate of the Auto Train?

Having never traveled aboard the Auto Train, we were planing a trip to Florida from D.C. for the beginning of 2006. Having already purchased tickets, I for one would hate to see this service discontinued. Not to mention the impact on the employees that would be effected by it’s demise. :eek:

I would be curious to hear from any and all that may have feelings one way or the other on this subject. As I understand it, the Auto Train, along with the NEC is a well proven money maker for Amtrak. Why in the world would Gunn or Bush want to tamper with any part of a corporate service that is making money?

Please, let’s here everyone’s thoughts or opinions on this matter. Should you have the time and wish to, I would also like to hear about anyone’s experience aboard the Auto Train.

Thanks!

It's not Gunn but Chairman David Laney who is talking about/in favor up splitting the NEC into a separate entity. We're not quite sure why the board suddenly caved into the Bush administration's wishes, although they did appoint the board.

I think its a formula for disaster, both literally and figureatively, as I've heard about the British Rail privatiztion. I'd hate to see Amtrak give up its bargaining power and control by giving up the NEC. It's almost like a union giving up its numbers when it wants to negotiate a new contract, you've gotta have something that will tamper with operations if you don't get concessions. To lose any service be it Silver Service, NEC, Auto Train, etc. would be a shame, and I hope that it doesn't come down to losing service...but that may happen especially without the NEC. :(

I too have tickets for the Auto train sleeper class for mid 2006. I worry about it too. What's nice right now, coach passengers on the Auto Train even get their meals included in the price with their own dining car(only train that does this) as there for 2 dining cars one for sleeping car passengers and one for coach. I hope it stays this way.

I hope I'm overreacting on Auto train fate. SUPPORT AUTO TRAIN!!

MDRailfan... We need everyone to contact their state representatives and express your desire to have them keep Amtrak up and running. With the cost of gas now, to eliminate our commuter trains would just be an additional hardship.

I know I’ve already contacted both my Senators and explained how I felt. They, by the way agreed with me and promised to do everything they could to keep Amtrak going.

I am curious though. Is there anyone out there with “inside” information relating to this? If so, please help us out and provide any thoughts or updates you may have.

I hope I'm overreacting on Auto train fate. SUPPORT AUTO TRAIN!!
I dont think you have to worry about the support of the Auto Train, when i rode it back in April there were 350-400 riders!

Even the anti-amtrak Florida senator, sorry i forget who it is, supports this service.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that this train brakes even or even turns up a profit??!

Jon

Relax everybody! :)

Even if the Boards recommendation was enacted, it will take a few years to make all the necessary changes to privatize it. States have to cough up some money, union members have to be dealt with, and a contractor has to be found and trained to operate and maintain the NEC.

The AutoTrain will continue running for the next few years.

Bush is a "union buster" and backs big business! :( He talks out of both sides of his mouth! He's cut VA benefits, allowed the airlines to dump their pension plans and toughened personal bankruptcy laws. But the big corporations get big tax breaks! What an ****! :(

MJ B)

Negative. AT still relies on the national system for many things such as Road Power, Passenger Cars, Reservation Systems, etc. Now there are a number of things exclusive to Auto Train such as their lounges, crews, Auto Carriers, stations, yards, etc. but it is still owned by the National System, but operated largely seperate from Intercity. Also bear in mind AT covers its Operating Costs, not Capital Costs.

Auto Train will be the last long distance train standing if the worse case senario happens at Amtrak. As stated above, Auto Train is supported by Congressman John Mica of Florida, whose anti-Amtrak rhetoric has lead the charge against Amtrak with Florida's Congressional delegation, including Sen. Nelson, a Democrat. As Bat said, Auto Train is reliant on the national system for physical operation, but independent from a product line point of view. The OBS crews have a different and independent union contract from every other Amtrak employee and the T&E crew bases are isolated from the rest of system. In the event the Atlantic Coast trains go down in a ball of flames, Auto Train will chug along like nothing happened. Enjoy the trip, it's an excellent train with fantastic service and equipment, especially the first class lounge!

Thanks for the insight trainboy325.

How about everyone else, any updated opinions?

trainboy, having never been aboard the Auto Train, and you seem familiar, Tell me about your experiences on same. Also, tell me about the first class lounge.

Any other experiences, anyone can describe is greatly appreciated. I’ve read where some people have had problems with the bearings on their vehicles due to the way the cars are secured. Anyone else heard of this?

Thanks again for the info!

The First Class lounge is just like the Coach Lounge, they both come from the same pool of cars, but the amenities provided maybe greater (I think non-alcoholic beverages might be comped in FC vs. Coach). Also, you get a higher quality dinner in the sleepers than you do in coach. I personally haven't heard of any issues with bearings, I know several people who use AT on a regular basis with various types of cars, and haven't heard of any issues. AT is one trip I hope to take sometime, but alas it hasn't happened yet! Have a great trip.

trainboy325 said:
The OBS crews have a different and independent union contract from every other Amtrak employee and the T&E crew bases are isolated from the rest of system. In the event the Atlantic Coast trains go down in a ball of flames, Auto Train will chug along like nothing happened.
I just have to wonder.

Is this some of the baggage left over from when Auto-Train was an independent company?

To respond to adbaker1, I've been on Auto Train twice. Like Bat51 said, the Auto Train's first class passengers get a little more "posh" in the diner with dinner and the lounge is in an art deco style that is unique to the train.

Although coach class is typical to any other Superliner train, with a Sightseer Lounge available, dinner is included with the ticket and I personally think the coach service is better than on any other train. This is due to the fact that the coach attendants can focus on the passengers and restrooms totally, rather than having to juggle passing out pillows and cleaning seat spaces on other trains. Auto Train is no AOE or Via's Canadian, but it's definately the nicest train that Amtrak runs in my opinion.

As for the Auto Train attendants having their own independent union contract, this is a result of protecting Auto Train employees who worked for Auto Train, Inc. from being bumped out of their jobs by Amtrak employees as mandated by the federal bankruptcy court handling Auto Train, Inc.'s case. The court ordered if Amtrak were to take over operations of the Auto Train, its employees be protected from both seniority and pay rates issues. Amtrak adopted the Auto Train, Inc. collective bargaining agreement and it has remained the same ever since. The contract requires AT OBS employees be trained in all crafts (TA, SA, LSA, FS and Chef). Instead of each employee receiving their own room in SFD during the layover, the contract calls for three employees to share a dayroom for showering and rest (If an overnight stay is required, they get their own room). If an Amtrak OBS employee were to decide to work the Auto Train, they automatically loose all seniority and become a "new hire" with Amtrak under the AT contract. Likewise, an AT employee who leaves to work regular trains start at the bottom of the national seniority list. The pay rates both regular train and Auto Train employees are the same as ratified in the contract by the members of the Amtrak Service Workers Council (the union triad that represent all Amtrak OBS employees) in 2004.

A little off subject, but y'all should have seen the AT today out of SFD. According to the agent I spoke to today (#P052-25), it had over 250 autos on it with what appeared to be (I didn't count them) about half the fleet of the new racks in the consist! It was LOOOOONG!!!! OBS....

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
A little off subject, but y'all should have seen the AT today out of SFD. According to the agent I spoke to today (#P052-25), it had over 250 autos on it with what appeared to be (I didn't count them) about half the fleet of the new racks in the consist! It was LOOOOONG!!!! OBS....
I guess they were making up for all the cancellations over the last 5 days.

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Well you have to remember that all the new carriers are Vans. Before the new racks were introduced there were Tri's which had more capacity than a Van does. Also IIRC they only have the new carriers in service, all the old stuff was sold off or scrapped. I know when I saw 53 in RVR and SAV they had only the new Vans, none of the old stuff. The next best thing for AT will be the new station in SFA.

Back