The Adirondack

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cincytrains

Hello, my wife and I are taking the 'Dack from NYP to Montreal in 2 weeks and I have not taken that train since I was 16 and that was 18 years ago. We are taking it round trip. I know we should sit on the left side going north but what else can I look foward too? Does it run on time? How is the speed of the train after it leaves Metro-North trackage? I know it does not have a diner, what a shame. We are bringing sandwich's from a local deli so we dont have to eat microwave food. Any and all info would be great! Thanks,

Steve

You want the left side from NY to Albany, going north. But from that point on, you may want to be on the right side. Lake George and Lake Champlain will both be on the right side, going north.

As for speed, from Poughkeepsie to Albany, you'll probably hit 90 MPH, after Albany top speed would be 79 MPH and there will be many sections that are slower than that.

Actually the book shows that the track is good for 110 for a large part of the run after you come off Metro North. While it takes forever and a day to get up to those speeds, they pretty much just run with the throttle open the remainder of the trip to Albany.

battalion51 said:
Actually the book shows that the track is good for 110 for a large part of the run after you come off Metro North. While it takes forever and a day to get up to those speeds, they pretty much just run with the throttle open the remainder of the trip to Albany.
The track may be good for 110, in certain places. However consider the following:

With a P32AC-DM, which has 1,250 less pony's than a P42, it takes a lot longer to get up to track speed. Especially when the engine is supplying HEP.

Then factor in that they can't just run with the throttle open, at least not for very long since they have two station stops, between Poughkeepsie and Albany. Each approximately 20 miles apart. By the time you get up to track speed, it's almost time to start throttling back for the next stop. And that's assuming that there are no curves or other speed restrictions in between.

Back