The #42 (Pennsy)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
Sorry if I've asked before but... Because I've never taken this route & have never seen Philly 30th Street Station, I'm thinking about hopping off the CL in PGH & taking the #42 in BC to PHL to connect to the SM to Florida. My main concern is missing the connection to the SM, as I'm terrible at Overnight Coach travel!!!! How reliable is #42?

Thanx

RF

you can check recent OTP on amtrak.com, but I can tell you from personal experience that the train is frequently on time, or even early. i've known it to be late, but most often not by much more than half an hour. others might who ride it more frequently might be able to chime in, but i've found it to be a reliable train.

Don't get the BC on this train because the Coaches for through pax are just as comfortable. Otherwise, nice scenery and PHL is a great station once you get out of the tunnels to the hall. They have a history section in the back. Just don't miss your SM.

Definitely avoid BC on this train, and the other Amfleet I coach. When we boarded in Johnstown, we ended up in the Amfleet I with decreased legroom because the other coaches were full of singles sleeping in double seats. Finding two seats together was a problem. Students heading back to college...Boarding in PGH you won't have that problem. CJ

During my college years, this train was my primary means of getting home during college vacations/breaks. From my experience I can tell you that this train has never been significantly late (in fact, I don't recall a single instance when the train arrived at its final destination - NYP - after 5:00 pm). Barring unforeseen circumstances (e.g. accidents, track closures, equipment troubles, etc.), I can pretty much guarantee that you will arrive in PHL pretty close to the scheduled time on the timetable.

I agree with the reliability of 42; padding is a factor especially Lewistown-Harrisburg where over a half hour can be made up.

I took the same trip CHI-PHL about a year ago and found the only real drawback was the (stifling a yawn) early PGH call and dwell at the station. I was hoping for the CL to be a bit late, and it was running 45+ behind in Ohio, but in the morning I got the conductor's knock on my door advising me of a timely 4:30 AM arrival. There was a delay on 42 caused by a NS deraiment that was still down on the other track, yet due to padding arrival at PHL was only a little late and there would not have been a danger of missing #97.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back