Thanksgiving meal on the train or eating in Penn Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi folks!

Well, I will be on a train -- the Silver Meteor to be precise -- on Thanksgiving evening in a sleeping car.

I am thinking it is highly unlikely that there will be a turkey dinner, right?

So, I was thinking of trying to get turkey day feast before getting on the train.

From Boston, we get into the station around noonish so I have plenty of time to be fed..I hope.

Any ideas on where to eat near the station? I thought I read somewhere that there were some new restaurants in Penn Station....

Thanks!
-Jackie

A while ago, Amtrak would serve Thanksgiving dinner on the train and it was pretty good. I believe in recent years, they have stopped that practice.

I cannot help you with Thanksgiving dinner in Penn Station. I usually eat pizza across the street at Pizza Suprema, but I guess they will be closed that day and they do not serve traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

An upscale idea: Last year I stayed at the Kimpton Eventi Hotel on 6th Ave and I believe 30th St. I loved the hotel and dined at their restaurants. You might give them a call and see what kind of Thanksgiving meal they are serving.

Some restaurants are closed, and some do a Thanksgiving Dinner special service, reservations may be required so get it set up in advance. The Macy's Parade ends a few blocks from there around the time you get in so plan ahead.

I had a decent Thanksgiving evening turkey meal on the Crescent 2014 from DC to NO. I arrived at Union Station in the morning on Thanksgiving. Up from Florida. No place for a Thanksgiving meal was open that day in the station.

There's a hundred places near Penn station but I doubt any are serving Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving eve. Thanksgiving eve is the busiest night of the year for anyplace that has a bar so its good you will be there early.

There's a hundred places near Penn station but I doubt any are serving Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving eve. Thanksgiving eve is the busiest night of the year for anyplace that has a bar so its good you will be there early.
To expand on this, it is doubtful they will serve prior to 97's departure...unless it is delayed.

By the same token, I doubt there will be special menus on the train. It would be a pleasant surprise to see one.

Whatever they serve for dinner on the Meteor, the dining car experience is usually nice on that train, so I wouldn't give up dinner just because they might not have turkey. It will be especially nice after having to sit in Penn Station. The first seating will be around 5:00 as you should be just about at Philly--I always take that one to avoid a later crowd and in case they run out of something popular.

Are you coming down by train from Boston? There are very few times I recommend Amtrak café food, but I think getting breakfast on the train, then maybe a snack in Penn Station if anything is open, might work better than looking for something in New York on a holiday.

It's possible that Dunkin Donuts or something like that will be in the station and open.

There are many restaurants that do a special Thanksgiving meal, but most of them are mid to late afternoon starts, that just doesn't work well for the scheduled departure time. If you have to rush through that many choices, it usually isn't a pleasant experience. Might be worth a phone call to Amtrak to see if they have anything planned. Sometimes they surprise us.

A great place, not too far from Penn Station, is the Malibu Diner on 23rd Street.

This is a classic 24/7 NYC Diner with great food, and yes they will have turkey.

163 W 23rd St, New York, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 691-1369

Ken

PS There is a webpage that comes up in a google search for this, but it is for a different Malibu Diner in NJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back