Thanksgiving Fares NYP-BOS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljclark

Train Attendant
Yahoo posted this regarding New York City to Boston fares for Wednesday, November 22.

A Brooklyn man active in local politics posted information on one-way coach fares for two adults and two children two months out: $774.

I looked it up within the last 30 minutes and the prices match. Looking at how full the trains were in the "X" post, it looks legit. I lived in Princeton Junction for a couple of years and know how packed the trains were. Any observations?

22NOV23-NYP_BOS-2Ad2Ch.JPG

This is yesterday (Friday, 11/17/23) at Newark, DE for the 2:28 pm nb train. Obviously U of Delaware students heading home for the holiday. Dwell time was 13 mins (12 more than the schedule allows) as they only discharge and board via the cafe car, usually. The 4:51 pm train took about 9 mins (I was not there to see how big the crowd was). Thursday's trains had more than normal # of passengers and this morning's nb train did too. This train, and I'm guessing the other trains, had one extra coach car.... 9 coaches
1700357080199.png

This is yesterday (Friday, 11/17/23) at Newark, DE for the 2:28 pm nb train. Obviously U of Delaware students heading home for the holiday. Dwell time was 13 mins (12 more than the schedule allows) as they only discharge and board via the cafe car, usually. The 4:51 pm train took about 9 mins (I was not there to see how big the crowd was). Thursday's trains had more than normal # of passengers and this morning's nb train did too. This train, and I'm guessing the other trains, had one extra coach car.... 9 coaches
View attachment 34660

Been there and done that. Lol! 135 discharging a stunning 185 at NRK. Of course Betty Blue was there! 😊🤣

I just checked and all trains NYP-BOS are now $258 or Sold Out. Wonder what the top bucket on airlines is for NYC-BOS. They can add planes, assuming the air system (staff, planes, slots, airspace) is not maxed out like Amtrak. And if it is maxed out, do they forgo max profit in order to avoid alienating people?

Orbitz shows $154 for flying any NYC airport to any Boston airport on Wednesday. That fare is for six Uniteds and one Delta Connection, all nonstop EWR-BOS. I think it's typical for Amtrak high buckets to be about double airfare on the major city pairs on the NEC??

I recall vaguely in recent years I also saw numbers around $258 booking Amtrak near Thanksgiving on the NER. Sunday would be the busiest day, and Amtrak has one train left, at $258. Orbitz shows a single flight at $199, Delta Connection, LGA to Logan on an Embraer 175, which seats about 76 passengers.

Last edited:
Been there and done that. Lol! 135 discharging a stunning 185 at NRK. Of course Betty Blue was there! 😊🤣
Can't wait to be there next weekend, though not sure I'll wait for 135 (dark & cold). Your 185 passengers were probably returning from spring break (hence why I was there - light and warm :D )

Back