Thank you to the City of New Orleans Crew

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got back from my trip that wasn't suppose to happen but the City Of New Orleans crew both North and Southbound crews showed how much passengers mean to them.There was a lot of interacting between the crew and the passengers which i have not seen in a while they tried to remember names of passengers on the train.And also thanks to engineer Ray Ray as we call him good job getting us into Hammond today ontime with some to spare. :D

And also Thanks to all the Michigan Amtrak employees(who are also my friends) for the great job you provide to Michigan passengers it was good seeing all of you again. :D B)

I ALWAYS have a wonderful experience when I travel on the City of New Orleans. The conductors, attendants, and dining car staff on the City are among Amtrak's finest!!!

Aloha

First it was "Phantom of the Opera". Ten years later is was a hurricane. I hope I eventually get to try the City of New Orleans.

GG-1 said:
Aloha
First it was "Phantom of the Opera". Ten years later is was a hurricane. I hope I eventually get to try the City of New Orleans.
You were scared away from riding the train by the Phantom of the Opera? :lol: :D :p I didn't even think that he rode trains. :lol:

AlanB said:
GG-1 said:
Aloha
You were scared away from riding the train by the Phantom of the Opera? :lol: :D :p I didn't even think that he rode trains. :lol:
Aloha

No the Phantom did not frighten me but he was supposed to be here 12 weeks, Ten thousand dollars was to much to give up for a one week training seminar, Ten years later the same siminar got canceled the day before I wasto leave Chicago on the City... is there something about the #10 ;) :unsure: :D

I ride the City of New Orleans twice a month from Memphis to Chicago and back. I love it. As a person who used to fly home for the weekends on Friday nights and the back out on Sunday evenings to get to work on Monday mornings, I can not help but expound the benifits of riding a train over flying. And as The C.O.N. was my first ever train to ride, I quickly fell in love with it compaired to jet travel. I'd pass up a flight any day to enjoy the convience and comfort of an Amtrak Ride.

In fact, the wife and I just finished a 25 year aniversary all Amrak vacation from Memphis to Niagara Falls and back. Was wonderful!!!!!

Herman

AlanB said:
GG-1 said:
Aloha
I think that guy used to work on the Lake Shore Limited when the dining car crews were awful. :D

The city of new orleans is one of amtraks better trains.The crews are super and i love the superliners.Too bad they have to borrow other trains sets to operate the city.Which train gets short turned in chicago now to become the city? It used to be the empire builder. I rode it with the zephyrs set being used 2 years ago plenty of zephyr route guides,menus and timetables in each car and i heard the texas eagle becomes the city sometimes. Also does the capitol limited still operate out of chicago as the southwest chief?I remember amtrak would clean and service the capitol after it arrived in chicago in the morning and send it to LA that afternoon.

What is the meal service like on the City? Table linen? Silverware? Fine dining? Thanks.

ohmark said:
What is the meal service like on the City?  Table linen?  Silverware?  Fine dining?  Thanks.
It's all of those things, assuming that you eat in the dining car.

If you eat in the cafe car, then it's none of those things. :lol:

Thanks Alan. My wife and I are thinking of a train trip from the midwest that would be fun. We thought of the CONO, maybe round trip (starting and ending with the Wolverine service from Ann Arbor; booking a CONO bedroom, and staying for a day or two in the Big Easy. What do you think? Would the trip be, at all, scenic? Thanks. (Our only prior experience on Amtrak is the Wolverine to Chicago.)

Also, if we wanted to run some errands while waiting for the connection in Chicago (either way), would there be some where to put the luggage in the terminal (maybe the Metropolitan Lounge)?

Thanks again.

Mark

Mark,

The CONO isn't Amtrak's most scenic train by a long shot, however the run through the Bayou's prior to entering New Orleans is pretty neat. The CONO however is a pretty solid train for service and could be a great introduction to a first time long distance rider.

As for the luggage, yes if you book the sleeper, then you can check into the Met Lounge upon arrival into Chicago from either direction. They won't actually let you take your luggage into the seating area of the lounge anyhow. You must put your bags in one of two storage areas.

They will give you a pass for the lounge to come and go as you please. So you can then run out for food or errands. Just make sure that you're back in time. They even note that return time on the pass for you.

Do you need directions to the lounge or do you know where it is?

If you're heading to New Orleans, be sure to stop over in Memphis. The train station is only a mile or so away from Beale Street. There's plenty to do, and the entire vicinity is beautiful, including the train station.

lepearso said:
If you're heading to New Orleans, be sure to stop over in Memphis. The train station is only a mile or so away from Beale Street. There's plenty to do, and the entire vicinity is beautiful, including the train station.
How do you do this?

Guest said:
lepearso said:
If you're heading to New Orleans, be sure to stop over in Memphis.  The train station is only a mile or so away from Beale Street.  There's plenty to do, and the entire vicinity is beautiful, including the train station.
How do you do this?
Overnight stay in Memphis will be required if you want to sightsee.I remember my last trip on the city we were 6 hours late getting into Memphis due to tornadoes in Cairo Il. Trees had fell across the tracks.We got in around 1230 pm and stayed in Memphis about 45 minutes.The station in Memphis is nice. Only bad thing about being that late was i lost all my sightseeing time in New orleans due to the fact we got in around 9 pm and i had to leave on the 720 am Crescent to Ga.

The only thing i don't like is how the cars don't go thru the car wash in New Orelaens the car washer has been broken now for almost 6 months so the windows are dirty.The part for the car washer is a cheap part and we don't understand why it hasen't been fixed. :angry:

AlanB said:
Mark,
The CONO isn't Amtrak's most scenic train by a long shot, however the run through the Bayou's prior to entering New Orleans is pretty neat. The CONO however is a pretty solid train for service and could be a great introduction to a first time long distance rider.

As for the luggage, yes if you book the sleeper, then you can check into the Met Lounge upon arrival into Chicago from either direction. They won't actually let you take your luggage into the seating area of the lounge anyhow. You must put your bags in one of two storage areas.

They will give you a pass for the lounge to come and go as you please. So you can then run out for food or errands. Just make sure that you're back in time. They even note that return time on the pass for you.

Do you need directions to the lounge or do you know where it is?
Well we did it. Booked RT Chicago/NO. A couple of questions: Are there signs in Chicago for the Metropolitan Lounge? In N.O. for the lounge? A couple of posters mentioned dinner is served in the diner after the CONO leaves Chicago at 8 PM. So, I assume this means skip dinner before the train, and eat on the train after it departs Chicago? Is lunch served after the CONO leaves N.O. at 1:45?

Thanks for the responses. My wife and I are excited about this train mini-adventure over the Memorial Day weekend.

Mark,

I don’t think that there are any directional signs pointing to the lounge, only to the general waiting areas. However, the following should help you to find the lounge.

The Chicago Metropolitan Lounge is located on the lower level of Union Station, which is also the track level. If you are standing in front of the Amtrak ticket windows, then the Amtrak waiting area is to your left. When you enter the main Amtrak waiting area through a sliding glass door, just walk forward and slightly to the left. There should be another sliding glass door along with a sign, unless they've changed the entrance in the last few months. Show your tickets to the attendant and they will give you a pass to come and go as you please. Or you can just stay in the lounge and relax.

The Chicago lounge can be very busy and it sometimes can be hard to get a seat during the mid-day hours, but after 4:00 or so things empty out some. Note: They will make you leave your carry-on bags in either the luggage room inside the lounge or a small locked room down the hall. The attendant will direct you in this matter, but you cannot take them to your seat due to the crowded nature of the lounge. Do not leave any money or medicine in those bags, take it with you. They’ve never had any theft problems that I’ve heard of, but there have been a few instances over the years, of someone grabbing the wrong suitcase.

In New Orleans, the lounge is very small and last I knew there were no signs at all. You just check in at the ticket counter and they will direct you to the lounge. It’s located directly opposite the doors leading to the tracks or almost directly behind you on a very slight diagonal when you’re standing at the ticket counter.

You will get dinner out of Chicago if you want to wait for it. Of course you are free to eat on your own inside the station, but it will be on your own dime. If however for some reason the train is late leaving, then the attendants will give you vouchers to buy a meal in the station.

Leaving New Orleans, you’re on your own for lunch. Lunch will not be served in the diner to my recollection. You could of course buy something from the café car, but I’d probably suggest eating before you arrive at the station. There are a few places to eat in the station, but the selection was very poor the last time I was there 2 years ago.

Have a great trip! :) And please be sure to come back and tell us how things went.

well once again i will be on the City heading up to CHI and then catching my train the Blue water to East Lansing MI.I leave out of Hammond LA on May 31 and arrive in East Lansing MI on the 1st of June.Then i will board in East Lansing on June 6th and catch the City in CHI back down to Hammond LA i have a sleeper both ways room 11 going up and room 10 going down i like these 2 rooms the best. :D

Back