TexasEagle VS City of New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_mark_*

Hi Everyone --

My paralegal has never been to Chicago and has never been on a train but wants to one day experience both.

Accordingly, for her birthday, I promised to send her and one of her girlfriends to Chicago by rail (bedroom and all).

Are the accomodations/lounge car/dining car nicer on the Texas Eagle (Dallas to Chicago) or the City of New Orleans (NOL - Chicago)?

There seem to be some very knowledgeable people on here so I am looking forward to your recommendations!

Just a suggestion for a potential first time rider. Let her start her trip fresh out of New Orleans. The train will be totally clean and the crew will be rested as they are New Orleans based. Personally, I enjoy the regional specials in the City CCC better but I'm not much on Tex-Mex which the Eagle serves. Worse case scenario would be for you to book a room in the car that comes in on the Sunset and the A/C or some other mechanical difficulty arises en route from LA to San Antonio. My vote goes to the City.

Just a suggestion for a potential first time rider. Let her start her trip fresh out of New Orleans. The train will be totally clean and the crew will be rested as they are New Orleans based. Personally, I enjoy the regional specials in the City CCC better but I'm not much on Tex-Mex which the Eagle serves. Worse case scenario would be for you to book a room in the car that comes in on the Sunset and the A/C or some other mechanical difficulty arises en route from LA to San Antonio. My vote goes to the City.
The only mexican on the menu I recall was a tamale and vegetarian enchilada. The rest is the standard fare.

As for the through 'problem' cars, that is only three days per week. The other four, the train originates in SAS (turned from the SB #21). Either way, there is plenty of time in SAS to correct problems.

The bigger question is how do you get the options of Dallas vs New Orleans. Those are not even close.

As far as equipment/amenities go, both trains will be almost identical. They both use a sightseer lounge and both use a Cross Country Cafe for dining.

Actually, now that I think about it, did the CONO lose its lounge care or is it still running with one?

As far as equipment/amenities go, both trains will be almost identical. They both use a sightseer lounge and both use a Cross Country Cafe for dining.
Actually, now that I think about it, did the CONO lose its lounge care or is it still running with one?
The CCC has a lounge section...but some might quibble about whether it is a true lounge or not! :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as equipment/amenities go, both trains will be almost identical. They both use a sightseer lounge and both use a Cross Country Café for dining.
The CCC has a lounge section...but some might quibble about whether it is a true lounge or not! :ph34r:
What type of original car was the CCC converted from, a SS lounge or a regular dining car?

As far as equipment/amenities go, both trains will be almost identical. They both use a sightseer lounge and both use a Cross Country Café for dining.
What type of original car was the CCC converted from, a SS lounge or a regular dining car?
When we were on it last May, in my uneducated option, I'd say it was converted from a dining car. I don't believe it had the top row of windows that are normally on the SS lounge. Plus,the interior looked more like a converted diner than a converted SS lounge if you know what I mean.

GregL

All of the current CCC's are Diner-lounges (converted from Diners). There were plans to do Lounge-Diners(converted from Sightseer lounges), but seems I remember those plans were put on hold.

The City does not run with a Sightseer Lounge, the Texas Eagle does.

To Mark, personally I'd recommend the City of New Orleans as it's a bit more scenic IMHO. Additionally with the City, there is a special lounge for sleeping car passengers both in Chicago and New Orleans. There is no lounge in Dallas.

The only mexican on the menu I recall was a tamale and vegetarian enchilada. The rest is the standard fare.

As for the through 'problem' cars, that is only three days per week. The other four, the train originates in SAS (turned from the SB #21). Either way, there is plenty of time in SAS to correct problems.

The bigger question is how do you get the options of Dallas vs New Orleans. Those are not even close.
Gee the City has five or six regional specialties such as jambalaya and bread pudding. I think you missed a few things on the TE menu. I can't find the Texas Eagle CC menu on Amtrak's web site~ they only list the City's. Anybody have a copy? Almost forgot the biggest potential headache of all; the #422 car is left in San Antonio because #2 is running too late. It has happened.

I wish I wasn't such a dinosaur and knew how to scan. Here are some appetizers and entrees from the TE menu that I dug up; Texas Eagle Pork Tamale~ $5.50, Beef & Cheese Quesadillas~ $5.00 Vegetarian Enchiladas~ $8.50 and Chef's Marketplace only described as "Your server will describe this evening's special developed exclusively for this train"~ $13.00. I happened to notice someone order the special and it looked very Tex-Mex to me; I have no idea of what it was. The pax did order a Corona to top it off though.

I wish I wasn't such a dinosaur and knew how to scan. Here are some appetizers and entrees from the TE menu that I dug up; Texas Eagle Pork Tamale~ $5.50, Beef & Cheese Quesadillas~ $5.00 Vegetarian Enchiladas~ $8.50 and Chef's Marketplace only described as "Your server will describe this evening's special developed exclusively for this train"~ $13.00. I happened to notice someone order the special and it looked very Tex-Mex to me; I have no idea of what it was. The pax did order a Corona to top it off though.
Just FYI, if you have a digital camera, you can always take a pic of something and post. You do not necessarily have to scan.

Just FYI, if you have a digital camera, you can always take a pic of something and post. You do not necessarily have to scan.
Just came back from Office Depot. I'm buried in boxes of routers and wireless scanners so badly I don't know if I can find my way out of this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back