Texas Tornadoes & Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Railroad Bill

Buckeye Train Watcher
AU Supporting Member
Just watching the major destruction to areas around Dallas-Ft Worth area with tractor trailers being tossed like toys in the sky. :(

Any of our Texas members hear anything about Amtrak trains in the area, delays, etc. ?

Hoping everyone is o.k. :unsure:

Just watching the major destruction to areas around Dallas-Ft Worth area with tractor trailers being tossed like toys in the sky. :(

Any of our Texas members hear anything about Amtrak trains in the area, delays, etc. ?

Our friend The_Chief is in Fort Worth. You doing OK out there, Chief?  

I hope everyone is ok too. It is a nightmare to imagine railcars being tossed around in the sky like those tractor trailers.

Looks like all is OK re Rail/Amtrak! :) They held #21 in Longview, it left FTW 3 hours down and 22 is out of DFW 2 hours late, was kept in the FTW Station!! Tracks must be OK, no mention of any Rail Damage on any of the News Reports so far! It was mostly in the Corridor around Arlington (between FTW and DAL) where the Damage is heaviest! DFW Airport is Closed with Thousands of Passengers spending the Night in the Terminals and Hundreds of Flights Cancelled until Tomorrow! The Storms are moving NE so hopefully other Areas wont get Hurt by these Killer Storms! (Lots of Tornadoes sighted!!)Hopefully the Injuries and any Deaths are minimal, "Stuff" can be replaced, People Can't!!

To answer the OP: Looks like both 21 and 22 made it through (so far), albeit with major delays.

Westbound #21 departed FTW 4 hours late and is likely past any storms.

Eastbound #22 departed DAL about 2 hours late, and is headed through the area hit by storms, but will probably not "catch up" with them.

EDIT: Looks like jimhudson beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I witnessed the action from "prime seats" if you'd call it. I was at work in Richardson in the metroplex and according to news reports one tornado landed around five miles east of where I was and another one ten miles west, and we were slammed with some nasty hail in the meantime. At one time the thought did come to my mind about what would happen to northbound Eagle since it touches DAL around 3pm if running on time, that's when the action was at its peak. But it turns out it was not running on time, so entered FTW at 3.36pm and DAL at 5.24pm, so it managed to survive the onslaught, since the storm system was moving from west to east, FTW took hit an hour before DAL did. So yeah, as far as Amtrak is concerned, no damage. But as far as airlines are concerned, well its a different story altogether.. DFW Airport was hit by hail and apparently American Airlines suffered hail damage on 110 aircraft which are being inspected now.
blink.gif

That sight of flying eighteen wheelers was just incredible, never seen anything like it!

Edit: Just saw this on Status Maps-

DAL 2 1130A 2 1150A 226P 259P Departed: 3 hours and 9 minutes late.

FTW 2 125P 2 210P 549P 607P Departed: 3 hours and 57 minutes late.

So, southbound TE was in fact, not held up in Longview for weather, because it was allowed to roll into DAL at the time of peak storm activity, and then I guess it was made to stop somewhere between DAL and FTW when all the tornado spectacle played out, because it ended up taking up almost three hours to travel from DAL to FTW!

:hi: Thanks for the Correction! Id seen that #21 was 3 hours Late out of LGV so figured they held it for the Weather! See now by Train Status that you are correct! My bad!! :(

I live in longview and don't know why 21 was held up so much today or where between here and Marshall. The storms at this time are getting bad, lost my TV signal and sure power is about to go out. Have my handy railroad radio but doesn't effect operations much yet, idk where Amtrak 22 is now.

I live in longview and don't know why 21 was held up so much today or where between here and Marshall. The storms at this time are getting bad, lost my TV signal and sure power is about to go out. Have my handy railroad radio but doesn't effect operations much yet, idk where Amtrak 22 is now.
Kevin, status maps show 22 departed Mineola at 8:08pm so it is expected into Longview anytime now, provided it is not stopped somewhere. The storm system that battered DFW this afternoon was quite nasty and if it has continued in a similar fashion, you folks are in for a crazy night. Be safe! :)

My cousin is in TX and was suppose to fly back home yesterday. She is stuck at the airport till Thursday! Sleeping in the chair there, 50˚ in the waiting area... Nothing is being done/offered by the airlines.

I live in central Dallas, in Uptown, and we didn't see anything too bad at all -- some heavy rain, but even that only briefly. But I have friends and family members with yards completely torn up in Arlington. No home damage, except for some roof shingles, thank god. Half of a barn from a neighbor's house a block or so away ended up in my girlfriend's mom's pool, along with her direct neighbor's swing set. Just crazy.

My cousin is in TX and was suppose to fly back home yesterday. She is stuck at the airport till Thursday! Sleeping in the chair there, 50˚ in the waiting area... Nothing is being done/offered by the airlines.
TraneMan, that's unfortunate. If your cousin has been told they won't accommodate them until Thursday, you might want to recommend him/her to move to the city by taking the TRE to Union Station and DART from there. Sitting in an airport chair for two days is no fun, and I believe all hotels around the airport would be packed with passengers, but there are several hotels in northern suburbs accessible by DART, some of them not very expensive, for example, there is a hotel right next to the Galatyn Road DART station advertising $45 rates. It might be a good idea to get a day's rest and head back to the airport tomorrow.

Before someone jumps in with "See this is why Amtrak is so much better than flying" in reply to this, let's put things in perspective. The nasty hail storm that hit DFW Airport put 110 aircraft of American Airliner and American Eagle out of service at once due to hail damage. When you have that large part of the fleet taken away suddenly, there is very little the airline can do about accommodating all the passengers. From what I have personally experienced (with Delta) is that when the flight is cancelled suddenly due to weather, they will try accommodating you elsewhere or give you a full refund of your fare eventually, but that's about it. Apart from that not much anyone can do when twenty thousand irate passengers hound you at once. My sympathies to the travelers stuck, but I wouldn't really blame the airlines for this, just Nature wins against Man.

Edit: I did not notice TraneMan has not mentioned which airport in TX he is talking about, but I assumed DFW.

The Texas Eagle seems to have good availability towards Chicago if she can get to Dallas in the next three hours. :)

And at a good price, I might add!

Edit: I did not notice TraneMan has not mentioned which airport in TX he is talking about, but I assumed DFW.
It was.
Where?
huh.gif
I don't see it either!

Also remember that there are 2 major airports in the area - DFW and Love Field!

When I took the CS a few years ago and there was track work north of KFS resulting in a 3 hour hold at KFS, Amtrak provided coffee and pastries in the KFS station for the passengers!
cool.gif

TraneMan, that's unfortunate. If your cousin has been told they won't accommodate them until Thursday, you might want to recommend him/her to move to the city by taking the TRE to Union Station and DART from there. Sitting in an airport chair for two days is no fun, and I believe all hotels around the airport would be packed with passengers, but there are several hotels in northern suburbs accessible by DART, some of them not very expensive, for example, there is a hotel right next to the Galatyn Road DART station advertising $45 rates. It might be a good idea to get a day's rest and head back to the airport tomorrow.

Before someone jumps in with "See this is why Amtrak is so much better than flying" in reply to this, let's put things in perspective. The nasty hail storm that hit DFW Airport put 110 aircraft of American Airliner and American Eagle out of service at once due to hail damage. When you have that large part of the fleet taken away suddenly, there is very little the airline can do about accommodating all the passengers. From what I have personally experienced (with Delta) is that when the flight is cancelled suddenly due to weather, they will try accommodating you elsewhere or give you a full refund of your fare eventually, but that's about it. Apart from that not much anyone can do when twenty thousand irate passengers hound you at once. My sympathies to the travelers stuck, but I wouldn't really blame the airlines for this, just Nature wins against Man.

Thanks for the tips. I will share this with her. I think she said she is at the DFW airport.

These are some of the most excellent comments I have ever seen, towards an airline when severe weather disrupts operations. Airlines may do less for people, no hotels and food since deregulation for weather delays, but you can rest assured that flights will operate when it is safe to do so. And it can be a nightmare trying to reconcile planes, crews, legal duty times, ground personnel, catering, maintenance etc.... when there has been a major weather situation. A little understanding goes a long way.

I'm thinking those trailers were between loads. Tornadoes wreak havoc on mobile homes. And an empty tractor trailer isn't much more to pick up than a mobile home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back