Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Partyman

Train Attendant
Does any one know why the Texas Eagle, 22 is running late to Chicago today. From looking at the status map, it seems to be stopped somewhere between St Louis and Alton. thanks

Weather channel says there is high water everywhere around St. Louis, and lots of rain continues, so I would think it is weather related. Plus that area was hit hard last night with tornadoes so there may be trees on the tracks that the host is dealing with.

I am on that train, we were pretty much on time in to STL, got in about 7:30. Around 7:50 they boarded everyone from the station then gave the all aboard announcement. As we were sitting listening to dining car announcements the tornado sirens started going off outside. We went down stairs and one of the conductors was out on the platform looking up at the sky. We asked if they were going to take everyone off and into the station. He said no, policy is to keep everyone on the train. If we do get hit put your head between your knees and cover your head.

So we waited about an hour for the storm to pass and the tornado warnings to expire. Then UP had to send someone ahead to inspect the tracks. We finally got rolling just after 10 and made it South to where the tracks run next to the Mississippi River and go under I-270. We came to a stop again and it rained very hard for a long time. I fell asleep and woke up around 4am as we approached Poplar Bluff. I guess we could have stayed stopped in South STL for those 2 hours.

It has been an interesting trip, but the crew has done a good job of keeping people informed. Looks like we should still make our connection to the Heartland Flyer as well. Glad we weren't flying back to OKC as the airport was closed and has some bad water damage inside with the 7-8 inches of rain they got.

Stopped about 10-15 miles outside of Dallas. A stopped freight train on the track next to us is blocking the switch and we have a red signal. Going to put us a good 5+ hours late into Dallas. Doesn't look like I'll make the HF connection after all.

Stopped about 10-15 miles outside of Dallas. A stopped freight train on the track next to us is blocking the switch and we have a red signal. Going to put us a good 5+ hours late into Dallas. Doesn't look like I'll make the HF connection after all.
Maybe this isnt the best time to be in OKC??? Will Amtrak put ya'll up in FTW or run a Bus to OKC???

The conductor offered to cab us to Gainesville to catch up to the HF. Looks like we are pulling in right at 5. We went ahead and got tickets on tomorrow's train and will be spending the night with some friends in the DFW area.

The conductor offered to cab us to Gainesville to catch up to the HF. Looks like we are pulling in right at 5. We went ahead and got tickets on tomorrow's train and will be spending the night with some friends in the DFW area.
Nice to have Friends in the Area! Hopefully the Horrible Weather in Oklahoma will Go Away soon and maybe an e-voucher is in order from CR??

I thought about calling customer service when I woke up to the dreaded toilet failure blinking light of the unrefurbished Superliner in Little Rock. This was in the 421 sleeper & coach, I can't imagine going all the way to LAX (which I am doing in a month) with non-working toilets. Luckily the problem resolved itself after a couple hours and flushing resumed.

I thought about calling customer service when I woke up to the dreaded toilet failure blinking light of the unrefurbished Superliner in Little Rock. This was in the 421 sleeper & coach, I can't imagine going all the way to LAX (which I am doing in a month) with non-working toilets. Luckily the problem resolved itself after a couple hours and flushing resumed.
A couple times I've seen the light flashing yet the pots were still working; I don't know if it is an indicator fault or if it gives warning of pending trouble.

They were definitely broken. The attendant said she would keep resetting them but that would only allow one flush before another reset. The closest working toilet was the single in the lounge four cars ahead.

Back