Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning on taking the Texas eagle to the Metroplex. What station is better overall (access to restaurants/car rentals ect, safety) Fort Worth or Dallas? I know both are connected very nicely to their light rail system. Thanks.

Which direction are you coming/going from? If you're coming south from Austin and San Antonio, I'd recommend Fort Worth, because that's where the layover is. If you're coming from the east or north (Longview all the way to Chicago), I'd choose Dallas. The two stations seem about equal, but Dallas Union Station has connections to DART light rail.

Which direction are you coming/going from? If you're coming south from Austin and San Antonio, I'd recommend Fort Worth, because that's where the layover is. If you're coming from the east or north (Longview all the way to Chicago), I'd choose Dallas. The two stations seem about equal, but Dallas Union Station has connections to DART light rail.
I live on the Dallas side of the Metroplex, and I still usually use the Fort Worth station. FTW is large, modern, clean, and comfortable, and there is a Subway restaurant on site AND a car rental. You can take the TRE to get to Dallas and to connect to DART rail, if needed. Dallas Union Station is certainly adequate, but there is no restaurant or rental car on site, and there are LOTS of panhandlers around. Even if I am going north, I go out of FTW. That way, if the train does get delayed between FTW and DAL, I'm sitting comfortably on the train and not waiting on a bench. I have also bought tickets going out of FTW and returning to DAL so I can get home more easily.

Fort Worth, of course.

There are connections to all city buses (The T), taxis, and Trinity Railway Express (TRE). The T has an info counter inside.

Never have I seen a panhandler at Fort Worth ITC (Intermodal Transportation Center).

When I used to ride the TRE into Dallas Union Station every day, panhandlers always were around, morning through night, as well as illegals.

Within a short cab ride, bus hop, or 15-minute walk from Fort Worth ITC is Sundance Square, a plethora of restaurants and activity. Downtown Dallas leaves a lot of that type of fare lacking.

Hope this helps.

The West End in Dallas is just one stop down from Union Station when riding the DART light rail. Plenty of good restaurants there.

As for the stations themselves Fort Worth is much better.

I find it to be 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other, but since I'm usually using the Heartland Flyer, FTW is my "default" station. The waiting benches in either station leave a lot to be desired in comfort, but I'm sure that is the idea to keep butts on the move. During warmer weather, the "Sausage Guy" is usually set up in the commons outside the FTW Station and for a few bucks, you can get a decent fast lunch. At Dallas, I usually wander kitty korner across the street and eat at Cindi's Deli which is both very good and very filling for the price.

Thanks very much for all the help. The plan is to take the Eagle to Dallas/Fort Worth and then take a rental car to Houston. Sounds like Fort Worth would be a good choice.

:hi: Totally agree about choosing FTW over DAL for all the Reasons mentioned above!When it comes to Driving to Houston IH45 is the Highway to take, you can avoid the Dallas Congestion by taking IH20 East to IH45 South! Watch out for the Cops on the Freeways, they run Speed Traps with Helicopters/Unmarked Cars etc. Fines are getting more Expensive than Amtrak Sleepers! :lol:

BTW-You could get off in Longview and take the Thruway Bus to Houston, it's a Guaranteed Connection, then rent your car in the Big H! (Traffic is even worse there, LA seems mild in Comparison! :eek: )

Does the Texas Eagle serve breakfast out of San Antonio? Just wondering if I should eat before boarding or grab a bite to eat on the train.

I agree about Fort Worth for all the reasons stated. And, yes, breakfast is served soon after departure from San Antonio on TE #22.

Yesterday morning #22 departed 40 min late because #1 was still in the station at 7am. It finally departed, THEN #22 loaded and did a maneuver to drop a Superliner coach on the center track and then finally backed out of the station on the mainline. #21 last night was 90 minutes late (which is really 150 min late - the other hour being padding!); lost much of that time between Taylor and Austin which is often the case. :eek:hboy:

I notice there were piles of new crossties and attachment thingies lying around just east of the AUS station. I guess we can expect more major track work and more major delays especially northbound which would fall within the normal work window.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back