Texas Eagle trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stlouielady

Lead Service Attendant
I am in the early stages of planning a trip to McAllen, TX next March. I have a question or two that I can't seem to find answers for. After much searching on here (not much, actually), it's time to ask everyone on here.

The Eagle is scheduled to arrive in San Antonio at approximately 10:30 pm. I would have to catch a bus there, to head to McAllen. The bus is scheduled to depart at 5:10 AM.

First question--do I catch the bus right at the Amtrak station, or is there somewhere else I need to go?

Second question--if I am in a sleeper, am I allowed to stay in the sleeper until I catch the bus in the morning, or do I have to leave and wait in the station? I am tentatively scheduling the trip for a day that the Sunset will continue on to LA, in case that makes a difference.

Third question--I will be traveling with at least one checked item (golf clubs), but probably two, from St. Louis to San Antonio. When I get off the train, I understand that I will claim my item(s) there. However, when I get on the bus, is it going to be a problem having those two bags? I assume that I will be responsible for loading them on the bus, and getting them off the bus, myself, correct?

Fourth (last) question--upon my return to San Antonio, scheduled to arrive back on the bus at 4:10-ish AM, can I immediately board the train at that time, or, would I have to wait in the station until the boarding for the scheduled departure of 7:00 AM? If I am in a sleeper, would that make any difference with the ability to board early?

I remember reading some posts regarding safety of the area that time of night, etc, and I'm not real worried about that. After all, I live in St. Louis, the capital of murder and violence (at least this year anyway). As long as the station is open, I'm not concerned, and I can be inconspicuos in the corner. Of course, if I were to go out and wander around, I might be asking for trouble...Shoot, that makes me think of another question--is there anywhere to store luggage in the San Antonio station; somewhere large enough to store a set of golf clubs and a small suitcase?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to McAllen, TX next March. I have a question or two that I can't seem to find answers for. After much searching on here (not much, actually), it's time to ask everyone on here.
The Eagle is scheduled to arrive in San Antonio at approximately 10:30 pm. I would have to catch a bus there, to head to McAllen. The bus is scheduled to depart at 5:10 AM.

First question--do I catch the bus right at the Amtrak station, or is there somewhere else I need to go?

Second question--if I am in a sleeper, am I allowed to stay in the sleeper until I catch the bus in the morning, or do I have to leave and wait in the station? I am tentatively scheduling the trip for a day that the Sunset will continue on to LA, in case that makes a difference.

Third question--I will be traveling with at least one checked item (golf clubs), but probably two, from St. Louis to San Antonio. When I get off the train, I understand that I will claim my item(s) there. However, when I get on the bus, is it going to be a problem having those two bags? I assume that I will be responsible for loading them on the bus, and getting them off the bus, myself, correct?

Fourth (last) question--upon my return to San Antonio, scheduled to arrive back on the bus at 4:10-ish AM, can I immediately board the train at that time, or, would I have to wait in the station until the boarding for the scheduled departure of 7:00 AM? If I am in a sleeper, would that make any difference with the ability to board early?

I remember reading some posts regarding safety of the area that time of night, etc, and I'm not real worried about that. After all, I live in St. Louis, the capital of murder and violence (at least this year anyway). As long as the station is open, I'm not concerned, and I can be inconspicuos in the corner. Of course, if I were to go out and wander around, I might be asking for trouble...Shoot, that makes me think of another question--is there anywhere to store luggage in the San Antonio station; somewhere large enough to store a set of golf clubs and a small suitcase?

Thanks in advance for the help!
The answer to your first question is that you will have to go about 1 1/2 miles or so to the intercity bus terminal. At that time of morning (TE) gets to SAS late a lot of time, you really should use a taxi. I would also suggest staying at Amtrak station until just before bus is schedules to depart. Amtrak is better staffed and Amtrak Police are usually around. The area is not terribly bad, just all the sidewalks are rolled up at that time of night. Bus terminal is on the other side of downtown San Antonio.

On your last question, just reverse order. Strongly suggest staying for wait time att Amtrak station in both cases.

Sorry can't help you with other questions, but suspect someone else will be able to advise on early boarding.

Have a good trip and enjoy the Rio Grande Valley in the warm early spring (also hurricanes not a problem in March)

jb

Michelle,

You won't be able to remain on the train upon arrival into SAS, nor will you be allowed to board early either on your return. Only through passengers are allowed to remain onboard and you wouldn't be a through passenger.

The Eagle is scheduled to arrive in San Antonio at approximately 10:30 pm. I would have to catch a bus there, to head to McAllen. The bus is scheduled to depart at 5:10 AM.First question--do I catch the bus right at the Amtrak station, or is there somewhere else I need to go?
The AMTRAK schedule says it it a Thruway Bus operated by Greyhound with a departure from the AMTRAK station. Greyhound will stop at the AMTRAK station and pick you up. If you want to see the actual schedule, go to GREYHOUND.COM and check schedules San Antonio - McAllen. It does list the AMTRAK-SAS at 0510.

You can try to 'cheat' and stay aboard, but do not count on it. There are a couple of hotels in the station area. Of course, you can always hope the Eagle is terribly late !!! I wonder, though, if you bought a one-way SAS-Del Rio if that would keep you onboard (after claiming bags) BUT would the cars be in a position to detrain for the bus. Hmmmm.

Greyhound will board them for you, but check with GREYHOUND for restrictions and additional costs for the golf clubs.

Boarding northbound is only available after the crew boards. I can not picture a way to make that earlier. Check the sleeper rates SAS-MHL. Usually pretty cheap, you get 3 meals, a shower (after the bus, good), a nice place to sleep for a while before returning to coach

Thanks for the answers so far.

Because of some of my confusion, I went to the Greyhound site, and figured out that the San Antonio to McAllen route that I would have to take is covered by Valley Transportion Company (a subsidiary of Greyhound, with ticketing, etc handled by Greyhound). I emailed them, and they confirmed that indeed that route does come to the Amtrak station for pickup and drop off; all other SAS-MEN routes leave from the San Antonio bus station. So, good, no cab rides for me at that time of night (or morning, depending on your perspective), and I'll just hang out in the station. As far as the golf clubs go, well, they will probably be oversize, so, some additional charges for them; perhaps I will not take them, rent a set, and use THAT as my excuse for golfing so poorly! I'm out of the normal excuses for my (poor) game.....

Thanks again; I think I'm all set to go! Now, just to confirm some dates, and get it booked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back