Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
Since I have not traveled cross country since last December, I am getting antsy and am thinking about my next trip, especially considering the fact that bedrooms will cost more points soon. I am considering traveling from CHI to LAX or vice versa taking the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited. I have never been on the SL and have only been on the TE between CHI and STL.

I have heard it is better to take 421 westbound so as to avoid changing trains/rooms. Is that correct?

Also, is it a better ride westbound or eastbound?

I am thinking about going in October after the gathering. I have enough points to make the trip before the point increase takes effect, so if I decide to do this, I will need to make a decision in the next month or so.

Thanks.

Since I have not traveled cross country since last December, I am getting antsy and am thinking about my next trip...
Wow, that is a long time. :p

I am considering traveling from CHI to LAX or vice versa taking the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited. I have never been on the SL and have only been on the TE between CHI and STL. I have heard it is better to take 421 westbound so as to avoid changing trains/rooms. Is that correct?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but if you're on either the 421 or the 422 you shouldn't need to change rooms in either direction. The only time you really need to change rooms is if you're on the 21/22 or you're connecting to/from the Sunset Limited east of San Antonio.

In what way exactly? I generally find that it's six of one, half dozen of the other. However, I might be able to give slightly better advice if you gave a specific concern or consideration to factor in. ^_^

Since I have not traveled cross country since last December, I am getting antsy and am thinking about my next trip...
Wow, that is a long time. :p

I am considering traveling from CHI to LAX or vice versa taking the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited. I have never been on the SL and have only been on the TE between CHI and STL. I have heard it is better to take 421 westbound so as to avoid changing trains/rooms. Is that correct?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but if you're on either the 421 or the 422 you shouldn't need to change rooms in either direction. The only time you really need to change rooms is if you're on the 21/22 or you're connecting to/from the Sunset Limited east of San Antonio.

In what way exactly? I generally find that it's six of one, half dozen of the other. However, I might be able to give slightly better advice if you gave a specific concern or consideration to factor in. ^_^
Sorry for being unclear. I knew exactly what I meant, but I guess you could not read my mind. :lol:

You did answer my question about 421/422. Thanks.

My question regarding direction relates to scenery and/or logistics.

Sorry for being unclear. I knew exactly what I meant, but I guess you could not read my mind. :lol:

You have a mind?
huh.gif
That's news to many of us!
laugh.gif

Yes 421 or 422, you can sleep on the train. If you chose 21 connecting to 1 or 2 connecting to 22, you must wait in the station in SAS until boarding.

As TS said, they are about the same, However, eastbound you do go thru the Palm Springs Wind (Generator) farm and past the Salton Sea in daylight!
cool.gif

There's not a whole lot of scenic highlights on the TE/SL. For the most part, the few that I am aware of are equally appealing eastbound or westbound.

I have ridden much of the TE/SL route, save for the portion between San Antonio and Longview. Here's my personal list of favorites:

The Illinois state capitol building in Springfield. The train passes within just a few blocks of it and you get a very clear view from the Sightseer Lounge. Westbound is slightly better IMO as the sun is setting.

St. Louis, Missouri. Toss-up on this one; westbound you get a great view of the city skyline at night while crossing the Mississippi River bridge, while eastbound on your approach to the city you have a nice long stretch paralleling the river as the sun rises...a wonderful time to have breakfast in the diner.

A big lot of nothing between there and Longview, where my experience ends. Picking up in San Antonio, there is the Pecos River high bridge about 50 miles west of Del Rio. Equally good WB or EB, except that if your EB train is more than 2 hours late you will be racing the sunset and might lose. Out in far west Texas there are mountains off in the distance, but you never get close to them. The view, such as it is, is equally good WB or EB. West of El Paso you will travel within 30 feet of the Mexican border—be sure to wave at the nice men carrying backpacks and fence cutters—on your way to or from New Mexico.

Once you get to California there is another long stretch around the shore of the Salton Sea; read up before you go about how the failure of a control gate in an irrigation canal a hundred years ago resulted in the creation of this inland lake and how the Southern Pacific railroad fought to divert the water before it could flood the entire Imperial valley. Then, as you pass Palm Springs, you will travel through an enormous wind farm stretching as far as the eye can see; I couldn't help but think that I would gladly trade every one of those eyesores for just one little nuclear plant.

So as far as scenery is concerned, there's not a whole lot to recommend. But it is a train and I for one am glad it's there.

Penny: I'll use the old saying "Follow the Sun!"(Or "Go West YoungWoman, Go West!" :) All things considered your best bet is to head West from CHI-LAX. Even tho the scenry isnt the Zephyr or Starlight, youll get to see most of Texas in Daylight and have Dinner in the Diner as you watch the Sunset on the New Mexico Desert! Go with #421 CHI-LAX, the Sunset has Experienced/Professional OBS and the food is Pretty Good too! (remember it's only Three days a Week!)and take the Cardinal #51 from PHL to CHI since you havent been on it going West! :cool: ( Must be nice to be a Rich Tax Attorney that can afford these Expensive Trips! :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

You have a mind?
huh.gif
That's news to many of us!
laugh.gif

Yes 421 or 422, you can sleep on the train. If you chose 21 connecting to 1 or 2 connecting to 22, you must wait in the station in SAS until boarding.

As TS said, they are about the same, However, eastbound you do go thru the Palm Springs Wind (Generator) farm and past the Salton Sea in daylight!
cool.gif
I agree with Dave. You see the same desert scenery of Texas in both directions, you sleep through San Antonio in both directions, and it is the same on the TE. If you would like to see the mountain pass in SoCal and the desert (as well as its unnatural lake), take it east.

Penny, I made the eastbound trip on 422 from LAX to CHI last October.

It was a long, but enjoyable trip. There wasn't much scenery from

Yuma, AZ to San Antonio, TX except desert (Sorry Jim). I did find

that being on the 422 sleeper car, you are the last car on the train

and to go to the diner, you had to walk through five coach cars to

get to the diner. Not a big deal, but a rather lengthy walk. You

would probably like the exercise!!

I was a bit disappointed that all the time were were in Texas, I did

not see an oil well, a longhorn cow or anyone wearing a ten gallon hat!!

I didn't see any cowboys either!! I did have breakfast with Jim Hudson

between SAS and Austin!!

I hope you have a good trip in whatever direction you decide, but please

try not to make any wrong turns when you walk from your bedroom to the diner!!

:hi: No apologies necessary Dick, you are correct about the Desert on this Route! That's why I suggested that Penny ride #421 going West! Of course as was said, there are some interesting things to see West of SAS including my Hometown of Alpine! ^_^ As to the Longhorns, there are lots between Austin and Dallas on the Ranches, but they are like the Deer, Mountain Goats, Buffalo and Antelope on other routes ,(SWC/EB/CZ)you may see Lots, you may see None??? The Oil Wells are mostly in Areas away from the Tracks in Texas, our Newest thing is WindFarms ,you see tons of those in West Texas!!! As to Ten Gallon Hats, Real Texans don't wear them, only Movie Cowboys and the Yankees and Californians that have moved to Texas wear those things! :giggle: In other words, Texas is sort of like New Jersey, the parts you see from the Train arent that Great, but the Good Places we keep for ourselves! :wub: (Makes me think of what Oregon did in the 80s, they had signs up Thanking Visitors for Coming but Saying "But Please Don't Move Here!" :lol: We have enough people now, ya'll come Visit but Please Don't Move to Austin!!! :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Penny,

We have taken the 421 route westbound and enjoyed the varied, unique landscapes. It is true, as Dick mentioned, that your sleeper will be on the end of the train and a long walk to the diner--but at the time we went, there were no other cars on the rear so you can take some nice photos out the back of your sleeper. :)

Some of your decision may rest on what other route you plan to use on your return or initial trip west. If you are taking the Zephyr, Chief or EB you may decide to ride one of them in the opposite direction that you have previously ridden. We wanted to ride the Zephyr eastbound so we opted for westbound TE/SSL. :D

Penny,

I'll weigh in with an opinion, and provide some pictures of what you will see on the TE. We've done the TE both east and west on loops around the West when we lived in Golden (DEN). [To loop from and to Denver, of course, meant taking the CZ and CS in addition to the TE, making the loop about 6,500 miles.] I really like the TE because it is the longest LD Amtrak train you can take across the US—some 2,700 miles, nearly 70 hours, and 3 nights on the train. If you really want a lengthy train experience, this is THE experience.

Before suggesting a direction, let me weigh in on the scenery. It's great. Many folks say "take the CZ" because it's got such beautiful scenery. Yes, it does. But of a mountainous kind. The TE provides a different perspective on America, a subtle beauty that is often overlooked. Perhaps I am numb to mountainous landscapes from having lived several decades in the Rocky Mountains, which are indeed beautiful. But I find the austerity of form of our nation's deserts and plains to have a beauty in their own right. So, while on board, allow yourself to partake a different kind of beauty.

Now that you plan to go, which way should you go? I'd probably suggest starting in Chicago and heading west, as Jim suggests. Heading west means you gain a little daylight as you traverse from Central through Mountain to Pacific Time, which you would lose going east. You have a better chance to see the Gateway Arch going east, and a much better chance to see the Salton Sea going west. The stretches in the dark are pretty much the same in both directions—with a little wiggle room at the dawn and dusk parts. Still, I think you have slightly better opportunity to see more going west.

Some other points:

• Going west means starting at CHI Union Station. If you are coming from the east to CHI, you will have several hours to wander about downtown Chicago while waiting for the TE departure at 1:45 pm. OK, you could have some good time wandering around LA since you would not leave until 3:00 pm.
  • You get to hang out in the sleeper lounge at the CHI Union Station, which is quite nice. Wi-Fi, munchies, and beverages included.
  • From St Louis to Dallas, expect freight delays and short rails that provide a clickity-click to help to lull you to sleep.
  • Be ready for bumps, thunks, and clunks as the TE and SL are put together or broken apart in San Antonio. Of course, if you are in on time, you have a good 4 hours for heading down to the River Walk and avoiding the reconfiguration process. Just remember your car number for when you come back as it will be in a different location.
  • Don't be shocked when Homeland Security or at least military-looking types in green uniforms come on board and look at you, perhaps asking you for an ID, at Alpine, Texas. Still better than at the airport, for they don't (at least in our experience) bring out the latex gloves for the body cavity search.
  • Be prepared to look out the back window of your sleeper for some interesting views of the rail system.
  • Get ready for a multi-car walk to eat or to the SSL as you are in the sleeper that is the last car on the train. Of course, you may never hear the engine's whistle and get a better night of sleep.
You should have a great experience. I provide a few photos below to show some of the sights that you will see. I think the TE route offers some beautiful landscapes that illustrate the diversity of America's geography. Everybody should be so fortunate to experience this. Enjoy!

scientist

TE%20Slide1.jpg

TE%20Slide2.jpg

TE%20Slide3.jpg

That's a pretty good representation of the Sunset Ltd, Sci, plus you get Fort Worth [90 minute layover & the Water Garden is nearby], Crawford TX (remember Cindy Sheehan), Austin, San Antonio, Lake Amistad and El Paso with unsurpassed views of Mexico a hundred yards away.

Wow, those photos from Texas look great! Maybe that will convince some people who think the the SL scenery pales in comparison to other LDs. I like routes with good visibility, where you can look out and see a huge distance away.

Wow, Scientist , that is a beautiful mix of photos. Makes me want to go jump on the train! Between your photos and the name the station game it has occurred to me I am not very attentive : ). I guess if I want to remember anything on my trips I need one of those head cams to record everything I see so I can play it back and see what I missed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back