Texas Eagle Sleeper Car Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mycalpal

Train Attendant
I am trying to take a new train with each trip and am booking travel to my church's convention in Austin. I am trying to book roomettes in and out of Austin on the Texas Eagle and have questions? You can book the Texas Eagle 422 or Texas Eagle 22 and the pricing varies? It this because of the consist of the train when it splits at San Antonio? Can someone tell me how many sleeper cars for each 422 and 22 and what the consist is like? I imagine it is like booking on the LakeShore Limited 48/448 and 49/449, the two NY sleepers are behind the diner and the Bos Sleeper is at the front of the train past the dinette/Business class car. Is the Texas Eagle organized in a similiar way? Thanks for your help!

You're right about why they're numbered as they are - one of those numbers connects with the Sunset Limited (think it's the three digit car number) while the other one just turns back on the next Eagle.

Not sure, are you coming from CA on the Sunset, or from Chicago on the Eagle? If on the Eagle, I believe the sleepers are together, then they pull the carryforward sleeper out for the connection. If on the Sunset, I think the sleeper is on the rear?

Personally, I'd vote to take the cheaper option since you don't worry about the connection to the Eagle / Sunset.

Technically, there is just one full sleeper on the Texas Eagle between Chicago and San Antonio. However, if you are coming from west of San Antonio there will be one sleeper for the Sunset Limited between Los Angeles and New Orleans. A second sleeper 4xx will travel between Los Angetes and Chicago meaning that sleeper would continue on to Austin from San Antonio. On the days the Texas Eagle does not connect to the Sunset Limited beyond San Antonio to Los Angeles, the full sleeper number is 2x (21 or 22, On the three days the full sleeper connects to the Sunset Limited in San Antonio there could be a 2x numbered sleeper between Chicago and San Antonio but it will be the transition sleeper occupied mainly by the on board crew and is usually located between the baggage car and the full 4xx sleeper.. The reason for the different numbering is because the Sunset Limited only operates three days each week whereas the Texas Eagle operates between Chicago and San Antonio seven days a week. And the transition sleeper only operates Chicago to San Antonio all seven days. Hopes that helps. Just understand that there is only one full sleeper on the Texas Eagle.

A full sleeper (ONE) is on train 21 & 22 daily. There is also the trans-dorm.

On days it does not meet the Sunset Limited in San Antonio, both are train 21 & 22. On the days they do meet, the full sleeper is train 421 & 422, and the trans-dorm is train 21 & 22. The reason for the price difference is if a passenger wants to sleep in their car during the San Antonio stop, they can chose 421 & 422. Otherwise, they must wait inside the (uncomfortable) station until general boarding. (For train 22, that's until 6:30 am.)

If you are traveling between San Antonio & Chicago, chose the lower price "train". (They are the same train.) If you're traveling west of San Antonio, I would chose 421 & 422 - unless you want to wait all night in the station.

TE departing Chicago on Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday, the Sleeper is 421 (2130) and the Transition Sleeper is 21, the other four days the TE departing Chicago the sleeper is 21 (2120) and the Transition Sleeper 21.

TE departing San Antonio on Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday, the sleeper is 422 (2230) and the transition Sleeper is 22, the other four days the TE departing San Antonio the sleeper is 22 (2230) and the Transition Sleeper 22

If you view the consist arriving and departing Chicago, it is the same each day.

Back