Texas Eagle - San Antonio switch?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcnosse

Lead Service Attendant
I'm just curious what exactly happens during that overnight layover on the Texas Eagle in San Antonio? I might be taking a trip from Grand Rapids to Tucson over the summer and I'm curious what they're doing. Also, after San Antonio, are the Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle separate trains, or is this part of the layover?

What they're doing is they're putting the Sunset Limited and the Texas Eagle together. After San Antonio, they run together as one train.

I understand that there's also some significant waiting between the time the Eagle arrives and the time the Sunset gets there to pick it up.

I'm just curious what exactly happens during that overnight layover on the Texas Eagle in San Antonio? I might be taking a trip from Grand Rapids to Tucson over the summer and I'm curious what they're doing. Also, after San Antonio, are the Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle separate trains, or is this part of the layover?
The Texas Eagle #21/#421 runs three Days a week from Chicago-San Antonio! #21 is the Texas Eagle (which runs Daily between CHI and SAS). #421 is a Sleeper and Coach that is cut out in SAS when it reaches the Depot around 9:30PM, then sits till the Sunset Ltd. #1, arrives Enroute from New Orleans to LAX! The Sleeper and Coach are then attached to the Sunset Ltd. and Leave for LAX around 5:45AM in the Morning Three Days a Week. The Eagle, #21, is then Turned Around after Spending the Night in SAS and goes back to Chicago Daily as Train #22 Leaving @ 7:00AM.

When the Sunset Ltd., #2, arrives into SAS Three Days a Week Enroute from LAX-NOL, it Drops a Sleeper and a Coach (Train #422) in SAS which is then Attached to Train #22 as Train #422 and this Train Leaves for CHI @ 7:00AM, same as #22.You'll spend the night from 11:00PM or so until 7AM on the Train in SAS if you ride #422 back to CHI.

Please be sure you take Train #421/#422 from CHI-Tuscon and Tuscon-CHI instead of #21/#1 and #2/#22 or else you will have to Get Off the Train in SAS and Spend the Night in the not so Nice SAS Amshak!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh okay that actually makes sense now. I wasn't entirely sure what they were doing that took nearly all night to complete, but it's almost as if I was transferring trains...except Amtrak is doing the transferring for me.

As long as you're on 421/422, yes.
... and that is the key - you MUST be ticketed on these numbers to get to stay onboard.

I did TUS-FTW #422 last month. Got to SAS, the power flickered on and off a few times, we moved around a little bit, then after a good night sleep, I hear "welcome aboard the Texas Eagle. Breakfast starts very soon".

Very Smooth

When you say as long as I'm on 421/422 I would stay onboard, are there indicators on/outside the train to let me know which specific cars are the 421/422 ones? When I go to amtrak.com and look up the rates, it gives me from GRR to TUS is aboard the 371 Pere Marquette and the 421 Texas Eagle, so I would assume that my tickets would say 421/422 on them.

When you say as long as I'm on 421/422 I would stay onboard, are there indicators on/outside the train to let me know which specific cars are the 421/422 ones? When I go to amtrak.com and look up the rates, it gives me from GRR to TUS is aboard the 371 Pere Marquette and the 421 Texas Eagle, so I would assume that my tickets would say 421/422 on them.
Your tickets must read 421/422 and then the crew will direct you to the correct cars. The cars themselves will not have the train number on them.

So when you make your reservation, either by calling, visiting a station, or online, be sure that 421/422 is the train being booked. The computer will also offer the choice of 21/22 connecting to 1/2 and if that choice gets booked, you'll be cooling your heals inside the San Antonio station.

Alright thanks. So I'll just have to be sure that it picks 371/370 and 421/422 so I can stay on. I would assume even sleeping in coach is probably better than sleeping in the station.

Alright thanks. So I'll just have to be sure that it picks 371/370 and 421/422 so I can stay on. I would assume even sleeping in coach is probably better than sleeping in the station.
Not that I've ever actually done an overnight in coach, but yes I would think that would be far superior to a night in the station. I can't imagine the station having any seats that recline, much less with foot & calf rests, as well as cushions. Additionally the lights would be dimmed in the coach, but not in the station. And of course the station would be far noisier with people coming and going, luggage being moved around, etc.

IIRC, the seats inside the San Antonio are those hard plastic bucket seats that I always imagine being back in 1970 at a bus station. I don't like sitting in them, much less trying to even doze in them. I found myself standing more during a couple of my layovers there.

i got caught off the train when they moved the cars around when i was on the texas eagle/sunset limited last june. even an hour sitting in san antonio's station was enough.. I wouldnt want to have to sit on those seats all night!

Not that I've ever actually done an overnight in coach, but yes I would think that would be far superior to a night in the station. I can't imagine the station having any seats that recline, much less with foot & calf rests, as well as cushions. Additionally the lights would be dimmed in the coach, but not in the station. And of course the station would be far noisier with people coming and going, luggage being moved around, etc.
I have so far done four overnights in coach (two roundtrips from CHI to FLG) and all four times I've been lucky enough to get both seats to myself, at least overnight so I am able to somewhat stretch out.

I am curious about when the coach and sleeper cars are switched at SAS. If you are asleep and have your electronics charging, is there a danger of a power spike when the engine is reconnected to the cars and the power is restored? Does anyone have any experiences they care to share? I am just wondering if I should set an alarm to wake up and unplug my devices before arriving at SAS.

I am curious about when the coach and sleeper cars are switched at SAS. If you are asleep and have your electronics charging, is there a danger of a power spike when the engine is reconnected to the cars and the power is restored? Does anyone have any experiences they care to share? I am just wondering if I should set an alarm to wake up and unplug my devices before arriving at SAS.
There will be enough commotion and carrying on as you arrive SAS, even in the Sleeper, you shouldn't need an alarm; you'll know when you are arriving.

I have been on 421 and 422 thru SAS many times. I always have my phone charging before I go to sleep. Usually I wake up when the train is moving towards west Texas on 421 or before Austin on 422, followed by my phone alarm going off later. I've never had any problem with power surges or the like.

I'll be on the 421 heading out of Austin to LAX. When the train stops in SAS how long do I have if I want to meet a friend to go out on the town? I was thinking I could meet them around 10pm then I would like to know when I can get back on the train. I would think I can after the train cars have been reconnected, but I was more interested in a time. I don't want to stay out till 130am. I would like to get back on board sooner.

Thanks

JATX

Not sure when you can reboard but be aware that the SCA does change in SAS and and the CHI to SAS SCA does not continue on the LAX. A new SCA boards in SAS thus the doors are locked when the origin SCA leaves the car after arrival in SAS. I only had the experience once and my sleeper and the thru coach were parked away from the teminal until connected to the end of the Sunset Limited which does not arrive for several hours after the Eagle arrives. So I'm thinking you might not be able to board by or before 1:30 AM

Check with your SCA before leaving the train to see when (and if) you can reboard. Some SCA's lock the door and then you can only reboard when the general boarding begins.

This is especially true on 422. You may not be able to reboard until the time the SAS passengers begin boarding - at 6:30 AM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back