Texas Eagle question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 6862

Engineer
Put into the online booking form Monday 19 September 2016 from CHI to LAX and get every option except the Texas Eagle, the 19th is as far as the booking page goes today at least here in Europe.

I checked the 18th and it was there, checked the previous Monday the 12th not there, but is on the 11th and the 13th. Then checked the timetable and on the current one shows 'Daily' departures. Is this another anomaly that it doesn't run on Mondays known only to a select few or is there a contradiction here? Could also be I have missed something too!

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
As was said, #421 only runs three days a week( departs Chicago Sun/Tue/Fri) from CHI-SAS-LAX. #21 runs Daily between CHI and SAS.

They are the same train between CHI and SAS, the #421 Sleeping Car and Coach are Cutout upon arrival in SAS and are hooked to #1 and leaves on Tue/Thu/Sun early in the AM for LAX, Arrives Wed/Fri/Mon @ 530am or earlier!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it, thanks. So does that mean the TE never travels to LAX although the journey right through is listed as the TE and not a change of trains at SAS to the Sunset Limited?

Did write that it could well be me missing something, only about the 23rd time that's happened on this forum!

You got it vv: The Texas Eagle only runs Daily between CHI and SAS as#21, and SAS and CHI as #22.

Trains #421 and #422 consist of a Sleeping Car and Coach that are switched in SAS between the Eagle and Sunset Ltd. (Trains #1 and #2) three days a week.

Its all the same Train and equipment. #421 and #422 are usually more expensive because you get to spend the night in SAS on the train without having to get off in the middle of the night and change cars to/from LAX or CHI.

Took a look again and see that the 21 from CHI is coach until SAS when the transfer to the Sunset then shows roomette. Maybe this is the reason for the lower price?

It can be a long wait in SAS if 21 is on time, arriving as much as 1 hour early. Then if the SL #1 is late you could detain by 9 PM and board again at 2:00 AM or later. I always use 421 to LAX so I can sleep through the switch and if #1 is late, I don't care, I am sleeping. The SAS station is small and there is nothing close by at this time of night to go to.

It can be a long wait in SAS if 21 is on time, arriving as much as 1 hour early. Then if the SL #1 is late you could detain by 9 PM and board again at 2:00 AM or later. I always use 421 to LAX so I can sleep through the switch and if #1 is late, I don't care, I am sleeping. The SAS station is small and there is nothing close by at this time of night to go to.
Or, if like me, stay awake and observe the switching action :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back