Texas Eagle Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chertling

Lead Service Attendant
Here is my situation... I am planning a roadtrip via Amtrak to see two NHL Hockey games this March.

We plan on taking the Ann Rutledge from KC to STL on Saturday, the Texas Eagle from STL to CHI on Sunday and the SW Chief from CHI to KC on Monday.

While booking, I noticed that if I were to buy a ticket from Poplar Bluff, MO to Chicago on the Texas Eagle, it would be about $9 per person cheaper than getting on the train one stop later at STL. (That might ALMOST buy me one beer at the game!) If I bought a ticket for Poplar Bluff to CHI, but didn't board until STL, would I face any problems?

I know if this were an airline, my entire reservation would be canceled if I missed one leg of the trip. Would the same be true on Amtrak??

Thanks,

Chris

This occurs because of the way the Amtrak reservations system is set up in bucket fare brackets. The more people that reserve tickets in a certain bucket/market range will tip the bucket to the next level. You were wise to check and notice what you did. As long as you are booking in coach you can do as you stated and book a longer-distance trip since it will come out to be cheaper and you will still be traveling on the train within the station limits prescribed on your ticket.

However don't try this tactic if booking a sleeper as the conductor and car attendant could mark you as a no show and sell your sleeper out from under you. In a sleeper you'll always get the lowest coach bucket regardless of the segments you are traveling in so it wouldn't make any sense to do that anyway. Have a great trip and enjoy the extra $9.

You get on the Texas Eagel at Poplar Bluff, MO at zero-dark-thirty o'clock in the morning at a tiny station. The STL option has you boarding in the light of day around 08:00 am.

Amtrak Watcher,

I would still plan on boarding in St. Louis, I was just thinking of buying a ticket for a trip starting in Poplar Bluff instead in order to save a few bucks.

JCCollins,

Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case... $9 isn't much, but that $9 savings makes it cheaper to take the train than fly (a concern of one of my fellow travelers)

I found the same problem with the train from Chicago because getting off at St. Louis is cheaper than getting on at Alton, IL. The stations are only 45 minutes apart and Alton is closer to Chicago.

Back