Texas Eagle north

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it's possible and I've done it in the past. Back when it served Phoenix, I went coach to El Paso and then had a roomette from El Paso to Chicago. Another time when the Desert Wind ran, I had a roomette from Chicago to Denver and went coach from Denver to Las Vegas.

I second what George said. Otherwise you would probably have to disembark, and could not reboard (or get into your room) until early morning (IIRC about 7 AM)!

Be sure to book on your correct train number because there are two "trains" in one trainset if Sunset Limited is also running on that day from LAX. One train number requires you to be kicked off the train while other train number will let you stay in.

Be sure to book on your correct train number because there are two "trains" in one trainset if Sunset Limited is also running on that day from LAX. One train number requires you to be kicked off the train while other train number will let you stay in.
Of course the SL would be running that day! If the SL does not run, the TE would not run either on that day! :rolleyes:

But I don't think you could stay on in coach - even if you did book on train #422. The coach ticket would be for LAX-SAS. I think they would make you leave at SAS. I don't think you could sleep in coach until departure time in the morning. And if your sleeper ticket is for SAS-CHI, I'm not sure if you could "board" until departure time.

Of course the SL would be running that day! If the SL does not run, the TE would not run either on that day! :rolleyes:
I guess gswager remembers that brief period when the Texas Eagle ran to LAX on four days and the Sunset ran only three of those days.

I guess gswager remembers that brief period when the Texas Eagle ran to LAX on four days and the Sunset ran only three of those days.
Du..oh! I'll need to ride on Sunset Limited to allow me to get familiar with this and that. Some day...

Thanks for that!

I would also suggest booking from Del Rio. Only two lonely stops between El Paso and Del Rio, so you might persuade the crew to allow an early move into room.

To repeat a point, be sure to book northbound #422 so you can have a good night sleep in SAS rather than sitting on the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back