Texas Eagle Layover in SAS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Train Attendant
Travelling on the TE 21 to LAX. Since we will be sitting in SAS from 10am to 5:40am waiting for the SL to join us, would I be able to get off the train for any extended period of time, say to explore or find a place to get a drink? Would the train ever leave before the scheduled departure time?

Travelling on the TE 21 to LAX. Since we will be sitting in SAS from 10am to 5:40am waiting for the SL to join us, would I be able to get off the train for any extended period of time, say to explore or find a place to get a drink? Would the train ever leave before the scheduled departure time?
You can get off for a short while at least. But confer with your car attendant, let him or her know what you plan to do and get their advice. It seems I read just recently some people stayed off awhile and found the train cars locked up when they returned. So check first.

The train will not leave early. There are some very special circumstances in which a train can leave early, most of them apply between Washington DC and New York, no application to your situation.

The train can not leave prior to it's scheduled departure time. BUT if your planning to get off the train and planning to re-board later (say at 2 or 3 AM), check with your car attendant first! There have been reports where the doors were locked during the layover, and those who got off could not re-board until say 5 AM! (They had to wait in the station until boarding time.)

BTW - The overnight coach and sleeper are kept away on a siding down the platform from the station until the SL arrives and they are hooked together.

I've read posts that say YES. I've heard the train attendants may be able to help. But, even though I have not done it, YET, I don't think I'll be wandering too far!!!! :blink: :rolleyes: :lol: !!!!

See my trip report on my last TE trip Tucson-Austin and back just this past March; on the outbound from Tucson during the layover in SAS, I got off the train, making sure to note the number of my car on my ticket folder, and walked to a Denny's restaurant just south of the Riverwalk and had a slice of pie and a soda (I already had dinner in the lounge cafe beforehand); the place was packed solid with families and Air Force personnel. I noticed other Amtrak passengers came there as well. I was only there 45 minutes at the most and walked right back afterward. The area was filled with bars and nightclubs which were packed. I almost stopped in one to have a beer but it was too crowded for me. On the return to Tucson, I simply stayed aboard the train during that layover as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back