Texas Eagle layover in San Antonio: what is there to do?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackshirt Husker

Service Attendant
I'm coming into San Antonio on the Texas Eagle two weeks from now and am thinking about detraining for at least a couple of hours during the 7 hour layover. Does anyone have recommendations for attractions/restaurants close to the train station (particularly those within walking distance)? The biggest obstacle is that the train doesn't get into San Antonio until 9:55 PM (and that's if it's on time)-- what's even open during the overnight hours in SA?

I always get the best travel advice from this board--thanks in advance!

Sleep!
smile.gif

Before you leave the train check with your car attendant that you will be able to get back on the train if you return significantly prior to the train's scheduled boarding

There is a Denny's within walking distance of the station (just across/under the freeway). There are a multitude of restaurants and nightclubs at the Riverwalk, but a taxi is recommended. Do be sure to carry proof of your ticket, and it is a good idea to check with your car attendant or the train conductor that you can reboard, else you may be stuck in the station until the regular boarding time.

ETA: While the Alamo chapel and library will of course be closed, you can walk past the outside front of the Alamo 24 hours. I believe that the grounds may be open at night as well, but I'm not sure about that. I wouldn't recommend it for women traveling alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back