Texas Eagle Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
I was thinking, since TE and SL link up for the journey between SAS and LAX, what is the TE consist between CHI-SAS and from SAS-LAX.

I took SL from NOL-LAX this summer and we were Baggage, Sleeper, Sleeper, Diner, Lounge, Coach, Coach Coach.

Would we then be Baggage X2, Sleeper X2, Diner X2, lounge X2, Coach X6?

The consist for the Eagle is Dorm, Sleeper, Diner, Lounge, Coach, Coach, Coach. In San Antonio they take off the last coach and the sleeper and tack them on to the back of the SL. So your SL consist west of SAS is Bag, Dorm, Sleeper, Diner, Lounge, Coach, Coach, Coach(from TE), Sleeper(from TE).

They don't put then entire Texas Eagle consist onto the Sunset Limited. Only two cars.

I was thinking, since TE and SL link up for the journey between SAS and LAX, what is the TE consist between CHI-SAS and from SAS-LAX.I took SL from NOL-LAX this summer and we were Baggage, Sleeper, Sleeper, Diner, Lounge, Coach, Coach Coach.

Would we then be Baggage X2, Sleeper X2, Diner X2, lounge X2, Coach X6?
The Eagle #21/#421 from CHI-SAS drops a sleeper and coach in SAS which is hooked to the Sunset Ltd. #1 three days a week (Tue/Thurs/Sat) for the run to LAX> The Eagle has no baggage car, it usually runs the following consist: 1 engine/trans-dorm/sleeper/ccc/ssl/2-3 coaches depending on the CHI-STL #321 train. Occasionaly the ssl is dropped and it carries 2 CCCs which really sucks! Hope this helps out! :)

Occasionaly the ssl is dropped and it carries 2 CCCs which really sucks! Hope this helps out! :)
Jim;

I know the CCC's are a complete waste of money but having the SSL or another CCC keeps your Eagle from flying to NOL. You don't want to ride from Memphis south after the train set has returned from San Antonio after starting out of NOL. I think Chicago coach cleaners have been on strike every time I used to ride the City southbound after it came up from your way as the Eagle.

Occasionaly the ssl is dropped and it carries 2 CCCs which really sucks! Hope this helps out! :)
Jim;

I know the CCC's are a complete waste of money but having the SSL or another CCC keeps your Eagle from flying to NOL. You don't want to ride from Memphis south after the train set has returned from San Antonio after starting out of NOL. I think Chicago coach cleaners have been on strike every time I used to ride the City southbound after it came up from your way as the Eagle.
You are correct sir, I can remember being kicked out of the car I was in on #22 before arrival in CHI so it could be cleaned/prepped and turned for the run to NOL as the City! Boarding later ,ON THE SAME CAR, it hadnt been touched, the same trash was just where it was, the bathrooms were scummy and thats when I started noticing that the CHI cleaners didnt quiet do the job that other crews did @ other bases! Except for the 3 days a week trains (Card and Sunsets), the CCCs are my unfavorite thing about Amtrak trains, they are worthless as diners and lounges, half a l,oaf is not better than none! :rolleyes:

They don't put then entire Texas Eagle consist onto the Sunset Limited. Only two cars.
And that walk to breakfast the next morning is l_o_n_g.

Aloha
I had just the opposite. I took the T/E from LAX - and up to SAS, it was the very last car. When I woke up (late - just as it started moving out of SAS), the diner was a few feet from my room (as I was in room #10)! :cool:

What is the normal consist on the days the through cars for the Sunset Limited are not carried?
The same - but with 1 less coach and 1 less sleeper.
It's still not clear to me. Jim Hudson posted this: The Eagle has no baggage car, it usually runs the following consist: 1 engine/trans-dorm/sleeper/ccc/ssl/2-3 coaches depending on the CHI-STL #321 train. Occasionaly the ssl is dropped and it carries 2 CCCs which really sucks! Hope this helps out!

So on the other days it is a five car train, dorm/ccc/ssl/coach/coach? Is that how you understand it? Or, are you saying it usually has a dorm and a sleeper and is a six car train? So on LAX days then it would be 7 cars? or 8 cars?. One dorm and one sleeper OR one dorm and two sleepers? I am confused.

What is the normal consist on the days the through cars for the Sunset Limited are not carried?
Actually now the Texas Eagle consist it the exact same everyday. Even on days with the through cars operating. They just somehow get the sleeper out from the middle of the consist and put it on the Eagle.

Actually now the Texas Eagle consist it the exact same everyday. Even on days with the through cars operating. They just somehow get the sleeper out from the middle of the consist and put it on the Eagle.
Sorry to be such a pest, but I assume the consist arriving in SAS in the evening is the one departing north the next morning. The LAX sleeper arrives in SAS on MoWeFr for a departure on the SSL on TuThSa. So the Eagle consist leaving the next morning to go north needs a sleeper from the SSL on TuThSa, but #2 only arrives on MoThSa late at night so the LAX sleeper goes north on TuFrSu. If the consists are always the same for the Eagle, where does it get that sleeper to go north on ThSa????? Obviously I am still confused.

And to make it more confusing, we are saying the Eagle consist arriving in Chicago leaves the same day south on the CONO and I assume the Eagle consist leaving south is then the CONO that arrived that morning. Is the CONO consist the same 6 car consist as the Eagle, that is dorm/sleeper/ccc/ssl/coach/coach? It would seem that the LAX Eagle three times a week would have to be dorm/sleeper/sleeper/ccc/ssl/coach/coach/coach, otherwise the northbound Eagle would be short a sleeper on some days.

Sorry to be such a pest, but I assume the consist arriving in SAS in the evening is the one departing north the next morning. The LAX sleeper arrives in SAS on MoWeFr for a departure on the SSL on TuThSa. So the Eagle consist leaving the next morning to go north needs a sleeper from the SSL on TuThSa, but #2 only arrives on MoThSa late at night so the LAX sleeper goes north on TuFrSu. If the consists are always the same for the Eagle, where does it get that sleeper to go north on ThSa????? Obviously I am still confused.

And to make it more confusing, we are saying the Eagle consist arriving in Chicago leaves the same day south on the CONO and I assume the Eagle consist leaving south is then the CONO that arrived that morning. Is the CONO consist the same 6 car consist as the Eagle, that is dorm/sleeper/ccc/ssl/coach/coach? It would seem that the LAX Eagle three times a week would have to be dorm/sleeper/sleeper/ccc/ssl/coach/coach/coach, otherwise the northbound Eagle would be short a sleeper on some days.
The Eagle and the City rarely share the same consist as in the past. But who knows...if the lounge comes off the Eagle it'll be a slam dunk that a 9 a.m. arrival of the City will be well suited for a p.m. departure of the southbound Eagle and vice-versa.

Quick question about the TE.... How far can you travel on the Texas Eagle - out of Chicago, and still remain in the same zone as the mid-west? *regarding Amtrak Guest Reward Roomette Award for two people.

Example: Toledo, OH / via Chicago, to ??? - and remain in just one zone.

Thanks,

Mike

Sorry to be a pest... What is a CCC? (I assume a club/combo diner?). I guess SSI is short for Sightseer.

Thanks!

Quick question about the TE.... How far can you travel on the Texas Eagle - out of Chicago, and still remain in the same zone as the mid-west? *regarding Amtrak Guest Reward Roomette Award for two people.
Example: Toledo, OH / via Chicago, to ??? - and remain in just one zone.

Thanks,

Mike
You can ride from CHI-ELP (El Paso) which is the border between zones. El Paso is 600 miles west of San Antonio so its a fairly long ride through admittedly not much scenery (ie desert mostly west of SAs)!If you go farther west youre into a second zone for AGR award trip! :)The Eagle has a sleeper and coach cut out in SAS and it is hooked to the Sunset Ltd., stays overnight and leaves in the early AM for El Paso!(SL #1/#421)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to be a pest... What is a CCC? (I assume a club/combo diner?). I guess SSI is short for Sightseer.
Thanks!
A CCC is a combo diner/lounge which means one side has six tables by the snack bar, also used as a lounge on the CONO, and the other is sort of a diner with the infamous three person mafia seats. Everyone thinks it was a poor idea, theyd be great on the PDX-SPK section of the EB since there is no diner there, that would allow the SightSeer Lounge to be on the longer SEA-SPK section of the EB. The CONO has one of these with no sightseer lounge, sometimes the Eagle has two when no sightseer lounge is available giving it the worst of both worlds! :rolleyes:

The CCCs would also be well applied to proposed/re-proposed trains like the Desert Wind or Pioneer which, like the EB would split off of the CZ-- without enough SSLs in the pool, and not enough pax to demand a fully staffed diner, you could give a full-service diner and a snack bar/lounge.

But still no one has answered the initial question or I guess my version of it. What is the consist on the three days it carries the LAX sleepers and what is the consist on the other days?????????????

I assume the consist arriving in SAS in the evening is the one departing north the next morning. The LAX sleeper arrives in SAS on MoWeFr for a departure on the SSL on TuThSa. So the Eagle consist leaving the next morning to go north needs a sleeper from the SSL on TuThSa, but #2 only arrives on MoThSa late at night so the LAX sleeper goes north on TuFrSu. If the consists are always the same for the Eagle, where does it get that sleeper to go north on ThSa????? It looks to me that on LAX days the train must carry an extra sleeper and coach for all this to work.

It would seem that the LAX Eagle three times a week would have to be dorm/sleeper/sleeper/ccc/ssl/coach/coach/coach, otherwise the northbound Eagle would be short a sleeper and coach on some days. The consist on non LAX days would then be dorm/sleeper/ccc/ssl/coach/coach. Right? The point of the question is to determine if the Eagle only carries a trans dorm on non LAX days using the xtra rooms for passengers OR does it carry the trans dorm plus a sleeper on those days. I know some of you 'smart guys' out there know the answer. Thanks in advance for the information.

But still no one has answered the initial question or I guess my version of it. What is the consist on the three days it carries the LAX sleepers and what is the consist on the other days?????????????
I assume the consist arriving in SAS in the evening is the one departing north the next morning. The LAX sleeper arrives in SAS on MoWeFr for a departure on the SSL on TuThSa. So the Eagle consist leaving the next morning to go north needs a sleeper from the SSL on TuThSa, but #2 only arrives on MoThSa late at night so the LAX sleeper goes north on TuFrSu. If the consists are always the same for the Eagle, where does it get that sleeper to go north on ThSa????? It looks to me that on LAX days the train must carry an extra sleeper and coach for all this to work.

It would seem that the LAX Eagle three times a week would have to be dorm/sleeper/sleeper/ccc/ssl/coach/coach/coach, otherwise the northbound Eagle would be short a sleeper and coach on some days. The consist on non LAX days would then be dorm/sleeper/ccc/ssl/coach/coach. Right? The point of the question is to determine if the Eagle only carries a trans dorm on non LAX days using the xtra rooms for passengers OR does it carry the trans dorm plus a sleeper on those days. I know some of you 'smart guys' out there know the answer. Thanks in advance for the information.
If you think about it Henry (do the math as GW once said even though he couldn't! :lol: ): LAX-SAS SSL#2/#422 Lvs. Wed-Fri-Sun Arr: Thur-Sat-Mon

Consist: engine(s)/trans dorm/sleeper/diner/ssl/coach/coach/coach/sleeper Cut out: coach/sleeper for TE #22/#422, train continues to NOL on the new schedule @ 11:55PM Thur-Sat-Mon. as Sunset Ltd. #2

CHI-SAS TE#21/#421 Lvs. Mo-Wed-Fri Arr: Tu-Thur-Sat Consist: engine(s)/trans dorm/sleeper/sleeper/CCC/ssl or 2nd CCC :angry: /coach/coach/coach

Cut out: coach/sleeper for SSL#1/#421, train spends night in SAS, returns in the AM to CHI as TE #22/#422 Wed-Fri-Sun with the cut out coach and sleeper from #2/#422. On the days that the SUnsets in San Antonio dont run the Eage has its regular consist as Chris said, the Eagle doesnt carry a baggage car nor a regular diner (well, once in a while it will but usually the CCC). Hope this is clear, it can be confusing! :blink:

If you think about it Henry (do the math as GW once said even though he couldn't! :lol: ): LAX-SAS SSL#2/#422 Lvs. Wed-Fri-Sun Arr: Thur-Sat-MonConsist: engine(s)/trans dorm/sleeper/diner/ssl/coach/coach/coach/sleeper Cut out: coach/sleeper for TE #22/#422, train continues to NOL on the new schedule @ 11:55PM Thur-Sat-Mon. as Sunset Ltd. #2

CHI-SAS TE#21/#421 Lvs. Mo-Wed-Fri Arr: Tu-Thur-Sat Consist: engine(s)/trans dorm/sleeper/sleeper/CCC/ssl or 2nd CCC :angry: /coach/coach/coach

Cut out: coach/sleeper for SSL#1/#421, train spends night in SAS, returns in the AM to CHI as TE #22/#422 Wed-Fri-Sun with the cut out coach and sleeper from #2/#422. On the days that the SUnsets in San Antonio dont run the Eage has its regular consist as Chris said, the Eagle doesnt carry a baggage car nor a regular diner (well, once in a while it will but usually the CCC). Hope this is clear, it can be confusing! :blink:
Thanks Jim. I pretty much know the SSL consist, it was just the Eagle I was uncertain of. I was trying to count the equipment available for the new daily service next April. With the Eagle's four sets and the Sunsets four sets plus the six cars used for the through Chi to LAX service three times a week I get something like 19 coaches, 11 sleepers, 8 trans dorms, 8 lounge and 8 diner/ccc's. The daily service will take seven sets between LAX and CHI plus the coach trains east of SAS. So a typical daily train will look something like 2 coaches, 1 sleeper, 1 trans dorm, 1 diner or ccc and 1 lounge. That would leave the daily coach trains with two coaches each plus some sort of food car. Left over would be one coach and four sleepers. They could add a sleeper at SAS to pick up the passengers coming over from NOL and HOU, that would use up the four extra sleepers. It ends up doubling the coach capacity between NOL and SAS and gives the train west of SAS about a 50% increase in capacity. The real shortage would be in motive power. With the Eagle only having a single unit on each train and the Sunset having two you only have 12 in the pool. The Coach trains take at least two. The Eagle as far as SAS would still need 4. They could add an engine in SAS for the trip west which would take four more. That would leave two spares. They could put those on the coach trains to use the way the Heartland Flyer runs, with one on each end maybe. Or just keep them in reserve in SAS and Fort Worth as backups. If this actually transpires it should be interesting to see how they handle it all.

There's normally a spare coach and sleeper in SAS to maintain the consist for the NB Eagle on those days when it doesn't get them from the SSL. For a relatively small station, SAS can be an interesting place for switching action; especially on Mon nights / Tuesday mornings (1, 2, 21, 22 all happening). And it's not that uncommon for 21 and 2 to arrive at nearly the same time!

If you think about it Henry (do the math as GW once said even though he couldn't! :lol: ): LAX-SAS SSL#2/#422 Lvs. Wed-Fri-Sun Arr: Thur-Sat-Mon

Consist: engine(s)/trans dorm/sleeper/diner/ssl/coach/coach/coach/sleeper Cut out: coach/sleeper for TE #22/#422, train continues to NOL on the new schedule @ 11:55PM Thur-Sat-Mon. as Sunset Ltd. #2

I'm still telling ya that the Eagle has the EXACT same consist every single day. Even on days when it runs through to LAX, there is no extra sleeper. #21 and #421 pax are put in the same sleeper. I do think there is a spare sleeper in SAS for the days that the Northbound Eagle needs sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back