Texas Eagle Check-in 21- FTW

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john h

Service Attendant
I am curious, if the training is running 2 1/2 hrs, like it seems to be almost every day, do I still need to check in before the train is scheduled to depart? Or can I wait to leave for the station later?

I am curious, if the training is running 2 1/2 hrs, like it seems to be almost every day, do I still need to check in before the train is scheduled to depart? Or can I wait to leave for the station later?

There really is no :checking in: for the train. Just show up on the platform with ticket in hand and board.

As for delayed arrival for delayed train? Well, there is always the chance you might miss the train, however; if AMTRAK says the train is two hours out, you would most likely be OK in not being there until later.

AND ... the FTW station now has a QUICK-TRAK machine to get your ticket, just in case the agents are very busy.

There really is no :checking in: for the train. Just show up on the platform with ticket in hand and board.

As for delayed arrival for delayed train? Well, there is always the chance you might miss the train, however; if AMTRAK says the train is two hours out, you would most likely be OK in not being there until later.

AND ... the FTW station now has a QUICK-TRAK machine to get your ticket, just in case the agents are very busy.
Thanks, does it change if I have bags to check, can I check those on the platform?

Thanks, does it change if I have bags to check, can I check those on the platform?
HA HAH !!!

'You must check you bags inside the station. That is if you are in coach. Now, if you are in a sleeper, you can store those in a lower level rack.

The rules say "30 minutes prior to departure".

So if the train is estimated at 2 hours late, when is "30 minutes prior" ?????

I say you should be OK as long as you are checking your bags before the train arrives.

Of course, I have never checked bags, so....

Last edited by a moderator:
HA HAH !!!

'You must check you bags inside the station. That is if you are in coach. Now, if you are in a sleeper, you can store those in a lower level rack.

The rules say "30 minutes prior to departure".

So if the train is estimated at 2 hours late, when is "30 minutes prior" ?????

I say you should be OK as long as you are checking your bags before the train arrives.

Of course, I have never checked bags, so....
I will NEVER check a bag on Amtrak for the following reason. I watched a baggage clerk deny a gentleman to check his bag exactly 29 minutes before train time. He even offered to sweeten the kitty if you know what I mean. The baggage "master" did not leave the baggage room to load until 12 minutes before the train was scheduled to leave. The train left 20 minutes late because one of the crew overslept. Go figure. Amtrak makes another happy customer.

Don't assuming that the trip status on Amtrak reservation system says that it is 2 hours late. It may be catch up the time before arriving into the station. Better be safe than sorry.
Thanks for the advice, we can always kill time at the station

Don't assuming that the trip status on Amtrak reservation system says that it is 2 hours late. It may be catch up the time before arriving into the station. Better be safe than sorry.

There are two big screen TVs there to watch, although they are likely on CNN or FOX. The main room is usually crowded, so try the Greyhound waiting room.

If the agent is certain your train is late, take the 5-10 min walk to the Water Gardens. It is not so far you can not run back quickly.

The main downtown area is a 5-10 walk also. Stroll the streets of Fort Worth - they have done a very nice job of improving the downtown area. And it is a safe and friendly atmosphere.

There are two big screen TVs there to watch, although they are likely on CNN or FOX. The main room is usually crowded, so try the Greyhound waiting room.

If the agent is certain your train is late, take the 5-10 min walk to the Water Gardens. It is not so far you can not run back quickly.

The main downtown area is a 5-10 walk also. Stroll the streets of Fort Worth - they have done a very nice job of improving the downtown area. And it is a safe and friendly atmosphere.

Thanks, I haven't been to the water gardens since it reopened

I think I have decided to check my bags at the station because we are traveling coach and do not want to carry my bags with me, however i do plan to have my laptop as a carry on, and would like to bring it with me to the diner car because I do not want to leave it unattended, would that be an issue?

Also in San Antonio are the cabs readily available when the train arrives, I realize that we will have to wait for our luggage, I know we maybe arriving after midnight, I am saying downtown a few blocks from the station, but do not want to walk with my 12 yo.

Also is customary to tip the staff person in Fort Worth who takes the bags at the desk?

I think I have decided to check my bags at the station because we are traveling coach and do not want to carry my bags with me, however i do plan to have my laptop as a carry on, and would like to bring it with me to the diner car because I do not want to leave it unattended, would that be an issue?

Also in San Antonio are the cabs readily available when the train arrives, I realize that we will have to wait for our luggage, I know we maybe arriving after midnight, I am saying downtown a few blocks from the station, but do not want to walk with my 12 yo.

Also is customary to tip the staff person in Fort Worth who takes the bags at the desk?

No issue to bring a laptop/laptop bag into the Diner. Think of it as a purse. Just keep it below the table, should be just fine.

Cabs in San Antonio: I would guess a number of drivers are AMTRAK hounds, and hang out at train arrivals. However, program in the Yellow Cab (or other local cab company) into your cell phone, and call them when you leave San Marcos. They will 'reserve' a cab for you.

I am not an AMTRAK employee, so I do not know the policy of accepting gratuties for checking bags, but my initial response for FTW is "NO". The person selling tickets will walk 20 feet to your left to accept your bag. In my opinion, save that few $$$ for the on board staff......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back