Texas Eagle broken into in SAS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Searched San Antonio news sources and found no story re: "Amtrak train robbery". :)

Could either be another fabricated story from an Internet goofball or perhaps a passenger who couldnt locate his luggage. It would seem that anything that significant would make local news somewhere?? <_<
That's because it wasn't a robbery. It was a burglary and a theft which is far less sexy.

Most of the time we're constantly bashing the media for getting nearly everything wrong, but for some reason in this thread we're convinced that if the media didn't cover it then it must not have happened. :wacko:
The issue here is not that the story was scrambled, but that there is no story out there. If we had a media story of any shape or form talking about any event of any kind at or near the San Antonio station, and found fault with it, that would be media bashing. What we have here is that there is nothing to bash.

MOST robberies/burglaries don't get reported by the media unless it is particularly sensational, ie: a gunfight or hostage situation, etc. The merits of this case seem plausible. The lack of information doesn't disqualify it's plausibility but rather makes its authenticity more difficult to establish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over on trainorders, it was even mentioned that a credit card machine was stolen. Pretty sure you would only find those in the dining and lounge cars.

I am not real familiar with the TE operations in San Antonio so I have a couple of questions...

Southbound TE #21 arrives into San Antonio at 9:55pm. I assume that set lays over and returns North the next day leaving at 7:00am as #22. Correct?

If that is correct, are people allowed to board #22 very early and overnight on the train? Everything I have seen, it sounded like they were talking about a full trainset, not just the two thru cars.

For a conductors possessions to get stolen, it would mean that either it happened before the #21 conductor got off or the after the #22 conductor got on.

A lot of things not making sense on this whole thing.

MOST robberies/burglaries don't get reported by the media unless it is particularly sensational, ie: a gunfight or hostage situation, etc. The merits of this case seem plausible. The lack of information doesn't disqualify it's plausibility but rather makes its authenticity more difficult to establish.
Exactly. There's really no easy way to either prove or disprove this story unless someone from Amtrak or SAPD chimes in. It's possible that the media will cover it, but if nobody was killed or abused or tortured then it's not likely to get much press down here. Trust me, I've lived here for decades.

Southbound TE #21 arrives into San Antonio at 9:55pm. I assume that set lays over and returns North the next day leaving at 7:00am as #22. Correct?
Correct.

If that is correct, are people allowed to board #22 very early and overnight on the train?
No, they must wait until the next morning.

As said #422 is only 2 cars, 1 coach and 1 sleeper. No baggage car or Dining Car or CCC or Sightseer Lounge - just the 2 cars. And #22 is not available for boarding until IIRC about 6:30 AM.

I took #1 to SAS and connected to #22. Even though #1 arrived about 2 AM (early), I could not board #22 until 6:30 AM!

As said #422 is only 2 cars, 1 coach and 1 sleeper. No baggage car or Dining Car or CCC or Sightseer Lounge - just the 2 cars. And #22 is not available for boarding until IIRC about 6:30 AM.

I took #1 to SAS and connected to #22. Even though #1 arrived about 2 AM (early), I could not board #22 until 6:30 AM!
Thats cause there's not a Penthouse Suite on the lowly Eagles :( , and they must not have known who you were! :lol: :lol: :lol: The drill is: Sleeping Car Pax, go ahead and board, Coach trolls, Line up @ the Red Poles! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like this is an overblown rumor of a bag or two removed from the lower level racks. After all, the original story came from somebody who overheard somebody else talking about it. All kinds of things could be wrong with the current tale. Absent a media story or police report, we'll probably never know the true incident.

On the topic of theft from the train I got one bet you never heard before. We pulled into Salt Lake on the CZ years ago back when they split the train into three routes there. We were on the Desert Wind part and supposed to pick up a lounge car there. We sat for a few minutes and cop cars came from every direction lights flashing. Police running around with flashlights all over the place outside. They ran about dozen homeless people out from under a platform by the station and lined them up. Seem's someone had broken into the lounge car we were to pick up and cleaned it out. Food, blankets everything down to the playing cards we heard. After they searched all the people they could and I guess finding nothing we went on our way. Made a stop out in the middle of nowhere and they loaded some breakfast type food items on the train. One of the gal's with us made the remark.....JUST LIKE COP'S ON TV.

On the topic of theft from the train I got one bet you never heard before. We pulled into Salt Lake on the CZ years ago back when they split the train into three routes there. We were on the Desert Wind part and supposed to pick up a lounge car there. We sat for a few minutes and cop cars came from every direction lights flashing. Police running around with flashlights all over the place outside. They ran about dozen homeless people out from under a platform by the station and lined them up. Seem's someone had broken into the lounge car we were to pick up and cleaned it out. Food, blankets everything down to the playing cards we heard. After they searched all the people they could and I guess finding nothing we went on our way. Made a stop out in the middle of nowhere and they loaded some breakfast type food items on the train. One of the gal's with us made the remark.....JUST LIKE COP'S ON TV.
Since there is no linked article in the mainstream press it obviously never happened. :lol:

In all likelyhood, someone probably just lost their iPod.
Either that, or that they first sat in one of the SL cars and were told they had to move to another car to go north of SAS - and did not move their bag(s) from the SL car. When they woke up the following morning, they discovered it "was stolen" - because it disappeared!
rolleyes.gif

Well, I'm two months away from my over nighter to LAX from ABQ and back later. I had planned to check a suitcase and have one carry on. Now I don't know whether I should check that bag, but due to physical handicaps I really don't want to lug it on board. I'll have nothing but clothes in it, but damn it, their my clothes. Do I check it or do I lug it?

OK. I had not seen this thread when I posted my warning earlier today. I believe that this was the train I was on. (Leaving LA on the 23rd, Departing San Antonio on the 25th). Our Bag was one of the bags taken from the sleeper compartment. I will just clarify a few things.

1. It was not an armed robbery.

2. Bags were taken from the lower luggage rack in both the Sleeper and the Coach. 4 Passengers lost luggage from the Sleeper, 2 from the coach, Sometime during the night. I know all bags were cleared from the sleeper. I am not sure if some were left behind in the coach.

3. The conductor who had his bag taken was from the inbound train on the Thursday previous to this. He told us this when we filed our Amtrak Claim with him. His description of the theft of his items (including the Amtrak credit card machine) was that his was a first time event. I assume he uses the machine for tickets.

4. The theft was reported to Amtrak through the Conductor and Customer Service and to San Antonio Police by at least 2 people. (including us)

5. I know that none of the 4 people in the sleeping car contacted any press. (We were trading notes after the theft)

6. Most if not all the bags were found behind the Alomodome after having been rifled through. In our case we lost a few clothing items and some small clippers and grooming things, but that was it. We got most of our things back 4 days later. We had no high end items in the bag, so it was likely of little interest.

As I said on my other discussion, I don't think this is a regular occurance, and they have likely tightened things up since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back