Texas Eagle Breakfast out of Austin in July 2016?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JATX

Train Attendant
Hi All,

I will be traveling to CHI in a few weeks and I wanted to see if there will be breakfast on the TE if I get on at AUS on time? Last year when I traveled the TE I got a breakfast, but I looked at the Texas Eagle website and it looks like breakfast ends at 930am. Can anyone verify that has traveled recently on the TE?

Thanks

JATX

If I recall correctly, breakfast is wrapping up by the time you get to Austin. At least the three times (including 11 months ago) I was traveling northbound, I had my breakfast out of the way shortly after leaving San Antonio. As far as the diner closing, the info in the link you posted is probably (mostly) correct.

I boarded in Austin in February and the train was even a few minutes behind schedule, and they still told us to go to the diner right away for breakfast if we wanted it. I don't know if that was a fluke, but I enjoyed the breakfast :)

I live in Austin and board the Eagle often. Unless it is extremely late ( ie arriving after 10am) if you are in a Sleeper you should go directly to the Dinner upon boarding for "last call" for breakfast for Sleeping Car Passengers Only.

Tip: since everyone lines up under the station canopy for ticket scanning prior to boarding, try to be at the front of the line since on some days there are lots of people boarding and no pre-boarding priority is given by most of the Conductors, first come first served.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I recall correctly, breakfast is wrapping up by the time you get to Austin. At least the three times (including 11 months ago) I was traveling northbound, I had my breakfast out of the way shortly after leaving San Antonio. As far as the diner closing, the info in the link you posted is probably (mostly) correct.
I went in January, (SAS-CHI) and you could just make breakfast if you hurried

If I remember correctly, Final Call for Breakfast was made before Austin, but the SCA knew how many passengers were boarding his car in Austin, so the DC was expecting this count immediately upon departure or before. I heard the SCA say he would notify the DC when a passenger said they didn't want breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back