Texas Eagle #21 Derails Again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Another cold day and another Texas Eagle (at least they didnt call it the Texas Express! :lol: )derailed up North last night! According to train orders around 9PM last night two miles North of STL the engine and 1 sleeper (trans dorm?)came off the rails! No injuries, no other info so far?

It's now running 9+ Hrs. late but heading South to a cold and icy/wet Texas but no snow drifts! :lol: Is the cold causing the problems with the rails? Last

time I rode the Eagle and it was freezing we had slow orders from AUS-TAY so UP could inspect the rails according to the conductor. First time Ive seen that down this way!

And speaking of AUS, lots of sad folks eating crow for breakfast and lunch today as the Mighty Crimson Tide did to UT what they'd done to Florida!

(The disclaimer, IF Colt hadnt gotten hurt..........!!!!!!) No matter, Alabama is an awesome team, Congrats to them even if their coach is an _________

________!!!! :lol: Well have to use the old Brooklyn mantra: "Wait till next year!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
it wasn't the same spot the other derailed was it? what could be the problem? frozen switch, faulty signal due to the cold(saying the switch was good when it was not). or UP sabotaging the tracks cause they hate amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was north of STL as reported here then no this is not the same location as the last derail. This one is in another state, Monday's was in Arkansas about 45 miles north of Little Rock, while the one north of St. Louis is several hours from Monday's derail.

It is a good question as to what is going on all of a sudden, I would think that this would give Amtrak a bit of a black eye so to speak. Luckly no one has been injured and teh derails have not been serious.

According to the STL Post Dispatch:

"An Amtrak train derailed on Thursday evening, leaving 176 passengers and a crew of nine stranded aboard, Amtrak said in a press release issued at 11 p.m.

The Texas Eagle Train — which makes 26 stops between Chicago and San Antonio — derailed about 9:10 p.m. The derailment happened two miles north of the downtown St. Louis station, said Karina Romero, an Amtrak spokeswoman. She did have more specific information on where it happened.

The Post-Dispatch contacted several law enforcement agencies, but none had received a report of a derailment. Romero said the derailment was very minor and the train was expected to be moving by 12:30 a.m. No one was hurt.

The train's locomotive and one sleeper car derailed but both remained upright, Amtrak said. The passengers remained on board and had electricity and heat.

Amtrak said the cause of the derailment was under investigation. "

it wasn't the same spot the other derailed was it? what could be the problem? frozen switch, faulty signal due to the cold(saying the switch was good when it was not). or UP sabotaging the tracks cause they hate amtrak.
Oh yeah, it's quite reasonable to assume the UP is out sabotaging their own tracks. I can't believe that you would think something as ridiculous at that; that UP HATES Amtrak enough to put the lives of innocent Amtrak riders at risk, not to mention their OWN employees aboard their trains. Crazy....

If it was north of STL as reported here then no this is not the same location as the last derail. This one is in another state, Monday's was in Arkansas about 45 miles north of Little Rock, while the one north of St. Louis is several hours from Monday's derail.
The Texas Eagle's derailment near Little Rock was on Wednesday, not Monday. I was on the Sunset Limited #1 and we were held in San Antonio until the buses arrived with the connecting passengers from the Eagle.

Yikes! This isn't good. At least no major injuries is still the story.

On a (possibly) similar note:

Last November, when I took the Cal Zephyr (which I'm doing again in 2 weeks' time), we got (by how much, I'm not sure - it was around 3-5AM at the time) detoured due to some 'track issues' caused by the cold. Perhaps the same reason we were detoured is the same reason the 2 TE's derailed.

And speaking of AUS, lots of sad folks eating crow for breakfast and lunch today as the Mighty Crimson Tide did to UT what they'd done to Florida!(The disclaimer, IF Colt hadnt gotten hurt..........!!!!!!) No matter, Alabama is an awesome team, Congrats to them even if their coach is an _________

________!!!! :lol: Well have to use the old Brooklyn mantra: "Wait till next year!!!"
Even if Colt had played no one can say for certain that Texas was going to win though Shipley is a monster. As we say in Brooklyn where I originally come from "Our coach may be an ________ but he's our _________." :lol: As an Alabama alum I am enjoying the National Championship win and the first ever Alabama victory over Texas (all time record now 7-1-1.) :cool:

As for the Eagle, that train is just having flat out no luck at all this week.

Oh yeah, it's quite reasonable to assume the UP is out sabotaging their own tracks. I can't believe that you would think something as ridiculous at that; that UP HATES Amtrak enough to put the lives of innocent Amtrak riders at risk, not to mention their OWN employees aboard their trains. Crazy....
I think somebody's sarcasm detector is defective. Maybe the cold weather is causing a faulty reading. ;)

The Texas Eagle's derailment near Little Rock was on Wednesday, not Monday. I was on the Sunset Limited #1 and we were held in San Antonio until the buses arrived with the connecting passengers from the Eagle.

Sorry been a long week for me, somedays its harder to remember what day of the week things happened.

Latest posts

Back