Ten Sights No Railfan Should Miss -or- The Railfan's Bucket List

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope y'all don't mind me resurrecting this thread but in a little over a month I'm scheduled to finally mark the TGV and Eurostar off my bucket list.

Eurostar is a pretty simple decision. Pony up the cash, pick one of two primary destinations, and get on. But in the case of the much larger TGV network I feel like I'm only just beginning to scratch the surface. I wish I had enough time to explore more of the network but since I'm not traveling alone I can't spend all my time riding trains everywhere.

As stated above the Via Rail's "Canadian", it truly is the last true streamliner, the last remnant of a golden age. Iv'e done it once myself and plan on doing it again coming next march.

As for the other 9

2. Cumbres and Toltec Scenic

3. Trans-Siberian Express (on my list doubt I will ever get the chance)

4. Indian Pacific (another transcon that I will probably never get the chance)

5. A ride behind mainline steam (I got the chance once, note my signature)

6. Alaska Railroad (I have yet ride it)

7. Washington Union Station

8. Portola Railroad Museum (you can rent and drive a locomotive on museum grounds, its quite and experience)

9. Something in Europe.
Revisiting this great list... I could certainly go for another Canadian trip before it's gone. Cumbres & Toltec sounds like fun but I have no specific plans as of yet. Trans-Siberian sounds great but is not as simple to setup as the others. Indian Pacific needs more research to be honest. Mainline steam is not as big of a deal to me, probably because it was almost entirely before my time. Private varnish over a major mainline route is definitely on my list. Alaska Railroad (and/or other options in the area) is currently penciled in for next year but with no concrete plans. WAS is already in the books but it's a great station and my favorite on the East Coast. The Portola Railroad Museum mention reminds me of my youth in Flagstaff and being shown how to operate an ATSF locomotive on yard tracks as a young boy. No museum, no medical waivers, no payments, and no lawyers. Nothing required but a genuine desire to see how it worked. I've traveled on trains in Europe but there is still so much more to see. I can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a huge proponent of passenger rail, but if anyone tried to build a bridge or tunnel across the Atlantic Ocean I'll be first in line to vote that measure down. If you don't want to fly take a ship. If you don't want to take a ship, don't cross the ocean.
cool.gif
I beg to differ...
Crossing the Atlantic by tunnel is extremely problematic due to the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the associated mountain range of volcanos. You basically have to go via Iceland, where the Ridge is at the surface, and even that is a big pain because there are still some very deep pieces of ocean to cross, and still a major underwater mountain range -- and it's a brutally long distance underwater.

It's actually much easier to cross the Pacific at the Bering Strait -- much better geography.

At least for me, Tehachapi Pass is on the list alongside the Canadian. Then again, there are some things I would put on my list that may never happen again. The "VIA Adirondack" probably tops that list (getting to do the D&H in a Park car).

Last edited by a moderator:
At least for me, Tehachapi Pass is on the list alongside the Canadian. Then again, there are some things I would put on my list that may never happen again. The "VIA Adirondack" probably tops that list (getting to do the D&H in a Park car).
Not quite the same as a 'Park' car....but Amtrak's 10031, "Ocean View"', is a pretty fair sub each autumn...... :)

Not quite the same as a 'Park' car....but Amtrak's 10031, "Ocean View"', is a pretty fair sub each autumn...... :)
Oh, I know...I've done both a few weeks apart...I did that in 2012 as well, if I'm not mistaken. Don't take it for me belittling the Ocean View...it is a rather fine car which provides a nice view, no pun intended.

I also completely destroyed my Thanksgiving weekend, to the point of leaving Thanksgiving early so I could do the VIA Adirondack. I do not think I will ever regret that decision, though, if for nothing but the sheer uniqueness of it.

I also completely destroyed my Thanksgiving weekend, to the point of leaving Thanksgiving early so I could do the VIA Adirondack. I do not think I will ever regret that decision, though, if for nothing but the sheer uniqueness of it.
Do they use VIA equipment on the Adirondack every Thanksgiving, or was it a one-time thing?

Do they use VIA equipment on the Adirondack every Thanksgiving, or was it a one-time thing?
It's only happened once.

It's only happened once.
It happened once. It will quite probably never happen again. There's a reason some of us tore off at the chance to take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back