Telling if I'm getting the cheapest sleeper price

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Alright, I'm thinking of taking a last minute trip from Chicago to San Francisco. It's giving me a roomette cost of $230 which I believe to be pretty good deal. Is that the cheapest tear they have? How can I tell. I'm think of doing an on board upgrade if it's cheaper. Now I'm going to be leaving on Friday, July 22nd. Seeing how, that price is pretty cheap, less than a week before departure, it seems, not many roomettes would sell out then.

What would you do? Reserve a coach seat, and hope for an upgrade on board or buy now for the good price of $230 plus rail fare?

Chris

GRAB that roomette NOW--DO NOT WAIT! This is a deal that cannot be pased up and it would be foolish to risk losing it. Never mind the "What if...?" Just grab it while it is available.

Roomettes most certainly can sell out at the last minute (and passengers frequently look to make last minute upgrades), and you have no way of knowing if one would be available or at which price. Take it now! :eek:

the problem with upgrading on board when its busy season is you might have to buy the higher coach fare...which defeats the purpose. When you buy a sleeper in advance..your railfare always defaults to the lowest price..

thats a great deal..grab it!

MrFSS said:
Consider it bought and payed for.
Just out of interest for the group - when you get on board, see if they have any rooms left and how much they would be!
I will if I think about it.

I was also thinking, the lowest roomette price from Grand Forks to Chicago on the EB is $76. It's about 15 hours, less, then half of the entire route. So $230 for a sleep along the entire CZ sounds about right, for being the lowest price. (I checked the day before, and it was $535 extra for the roomette).

According to the Spring-Summer Amtrak national timetable, a Chicago-San Francisco (Emeryville) could theoretically be had for $219 plus rail fare. However, I think Amtrak recently raised fares a bit, which may or may not be reflected in the national timetable's sample fares section. Even still, not all fares are necessarily available on all dates. I'm quite surprised that a Friday departure in the middle of July would even have any low bucket sleeper fares available at all.

rmadisonwi said:
According to the Spring-Summer Amtrak national timetable, a Chicago-San Francisco (Emeryville) could theoretically be had for $219 plus rail fare. However, I think Amtrak recently raised fares a bit, which may or may not be reflected in the national timetable's sample fares section. Even still, not all fares are necessarily available on all dates. I'm quite surprised that a Friday departure in the middle of July would even have any low bucket sleeper fares available at all.
Me too! And to think I got this fare 5 days before departure

Back