TE to SWC or TE to CS to EB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In May, when I leave FTW after a visit with my brother, I have the option of either taking the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited to LAX and hanging around for the Southwest Chief or taking the Coast Starlight to PDX and the Empire Builder. Then of course the LSL to WOR.

My question is, as both of these east bound trains are ones I have not taken yet, which has the better scenery in May? I am of course going by coach and with a 15-day rail pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing on consider is that the Chief operates every day. The Sunset only runs three times a week.

I am taking the TE/Sunset on Wednesday from FTW to LAX, my question is for the eastbound trip from LAX to CHI. I could also turn back around and take the TE back, but I have already done that, so am looking for a new route to take back from LAX.

June,

The only argument that I would give you for riding the SWC instead of the other is that the ride over Raton Pass may come to an end within the next 2 years or so. It's not a can't miss, my life will be forever ruined moment. But it is still a nice ride and one that eventually you should try to do. So if you think that you'll be riding again within the next year and that the SWC might then be in the cards, skip it this time around. Otherwise consider doing it this time.

But that reroute away from Raton aside, the Coast Starlight/EB routing wins hands down for scenic highlights. If I were thinking only scenery, then it would be the CS/EB routing for sure.

June,
The only argument that I would give you for riding the SWC instead of the other is that the ride over Raton Pass may come to an end within the next 2 years or so. It's not a can't miss, my life will be forever ruined moment. But it is still a nice ride and one that eventually you should try to do. So if you think that you'll be riding again within the next year and that the SWC might then be in the cards, skip it this time around. Otherwise consider doing it this time.

But that reroute away from Raton aside, the Coast Starlight/EB routing wins hands down for scenic highlights. If I were thinking only scenery, then it would be the CS/EB routing for sure.
I am sort of leaning toward the EB, I am heading back to San Diego in September, so could take the SWC on either trip, west or east. Is there any better views during the day on west vs east on the SWC?

I am sort of leaning toward the EB, I am heading back to San Diego in September, so could take the SWC on either trip, west or east. Is there any better views during the day on west vs east on the SWC?
Yes, westbound you will certainly have daylight on Raton the whole way. Eastbound, if the train is running late, you could cross in darkness. Westbound also gives one a better chance of seeing the mountains that ring LA if you're up very early. Going eastbound you'll almost certainly cross in the dark.

June, I have to agree with Alan about the CS/EB. And I'd say about the SW Chief: there is some very rough track in western KS and eastern CO (which is why they are going to re-route). It may keep you awake at night! The EB on the other hand was quite smooth when I took it last fall.

I have not been on the SW Chief in a few years. I know that I have gone over a loop in the track somewhere, and I am pretty sure it is on the SW Chief between ABQ and Raton Pass (anybody know for sure?), which means that after the re-route, the Chief won't go over that section of track. It was pretty spectacular. As far as going eastbound or westbound, phew, I think I'd lean towards eastbound. In September, you're going to be though Raton in daylight unless you are really late. But you won't have a chance of seeing Flagstaff in daylight unless you're eastbound, a llittle late, and an early riser. The really good stuff is the first few hours out of LAX (hmmnn, that's better eastbound as well), and everything from Flagstaff to Raton.

If you want to see exactly when the sunrise/sunset is in a given loaction, check out this site: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/. For September 15, sunset in LA is about 7pm, and I'd guess you could count on seeing outside for another half hour. So, Alan is right about that, too. You are not going to see the California mountains in daylight unless you are west bound *and* late!

the thing is, either trip would be amazing.

the SWC was the first long-distance train trip I took and I loved it immensely. I did it again this past January and I was not disappointed. the southwest is pretty extraordinary and to see the changing colors of the soil, rocks and mountains is lovely. it's a great way to see a part of the country that is rich in history and culture. you'll probably see antelope!

on the other hand, the CS is almost painfully beautiful at times and the ocean view does not get tiresome. the EB is exceptional and the views in Glacier Park are so great you'll want to hop off and go running up a mountain or for a dip in the river.

If I were you, I'd read some trip reports, and go to a site like Flickr.com and look for images from those routes. see what catches your fancy and that might help you decide what you would most like to see.

good luck and have fun!

:hi: June: NIce to have Choices but I 'm with the CS#14/EB#28 (via PDX) Group since you say you can do the SWC before the Raton Pass Route goes away!

The most "train time" and the most scenery is of course going to be the CS/EB combo. I've taken the SWC numerous times and the dark hours are mostly Kansas and the California/Arizona deserts if the train is on schedule. As noted the SWC route through Raton is endangered and could become "rare mileage" between ABQ and Newton, KS. This is the route of the "Hollywood stars" on the Santa Fe Super Chief. But now, no more speeding throught Kansas at 90+ MPH. It is more like a bumpy, bouncy 60MPH.

FYI here is a daylight/nightime map of the Western LD trains out of the Amtrak System Timetable. i believe it is based on a summer time schedule and of course, based upon on-time trains...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10022280/System-Timetable-Winter-Spring-2013.pdf

If you want to see exactly when the sunrise/sunset is in a given loaction, check out this site: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/. For September 15, sunset in LA is about 7pm, and I'd guess you could count on seeing outside for another half hour. So, Alan is right about that, too. You are not going to see the California mountains in daylight unless you are west bound *and* late!
That website also has a checkbox for twilight. I use the Civil Twilight checkbox.

I have not been on the SW Chief in a few years. I know that I have gone over a loop in the track somewhere, and I am pretty sure it is on the SW Chief between ABQ and Raton Pass (anybody know for sure?), which means that after the re-route, the Chief won't go over that section of track. It was pretty spectacular. As far as going eastbound or westbound, phew, I think I'd lean towards eastbound. In September, you're going to be though Raton in daylight unless you are really late. But you won't have a chance of seeing Flagstaff in daylight unless you're eastbound, a llittle late, and an early riser. The really good stuff is the first few hours out of LAX (hmmnn, that's better eastbound as well), and everything from Flagstaff to Raton.
The Tehachapi and Williams Loops, both in California, no longer host any scheduled passenger trains, There is no loop track on the SWC route. IINM, there are no other "loops" in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back