TE#21 HITS/KILLS TRESSPASSER IN ILLINOIS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
According to train orders post by a pax on the train, todays TE #21 hit and killed a tresspasser a little South of SPI. The conductor and OBS announced a delay for a "police action". The poster said that a scanner let him know that the body was badly managled and the delay turned into a 3 HR.= delay while the emergency responders did their thing. Supposedly it was out in the Corn Fields with a few out buildings around and there was a crossing where one vehicle was waiting when the incident occured. Later, per another posting, a tent was placed over the tracks to cover the bloody sight.

#22 is now 3++ Hrs. down per the last OTP listing heading South. The poor Eagles have had a rough fall/winter and now Spring. On the way North we struck and killed a drunk North of TXA on #21 three weeks ago resulting in a 2 1/2 HR. delay! Im sorry the person died but feel worse for the engineer and the crew, I understand the procedures they have to go through are pretty trying and they already have high stress!

When will these people ever learn, Man vs. Train, Train wins everytime!! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
When will these people ever learn, Man vs. Train, Train wins everytime!! :rolleyes:
IMHO, a lot of this is that we are ingrained with the basic rule that pedestrians always have the right-of-way. I have been trying to teach my grandson about this, but am having a tough time teaching him the exceptions. For example, even if a car breaks a rule, like runs a solid red light or blows thru a stop sign, ultimately, it is the pedestrian who pays the consequences.

So, I think there are a lot of people who feel that the train must stop for them, regardless of the laws of physics or the laws of man.

IMHO, a lot of this is that we are ingrained with the basic rule that pedestrians always have the right-of-way. I have been trying to teach my grandson about this, but am having a tough time teaching him the exceptions. For example, even if a car breaks a rule, like runs a solid red light or blows thru a stop sign, ultimately, it is the pedestrian who pays the consequences.

So, I think there are a lot of people who feel that the train must stop for them, regardless of the laws of physics or the laws of man.
Yup, and those kind of people end up dead. By the way, where do pedestrians always have the right of way? That may be techically true in some cases, but taking the side of caution is always a better rule.

Yup, and those kind of people end up dead. By the way, where do pedestrians always have the right of way? That may be techically true in some cases, but taking the side of caution is always a better rule.
Pedestrians always have the right of way at a crosswalk in most places. It is only where the is a walk sign for that specific crosswalk that is lit to "DONT WALK" that pedestrians do not have the right of way.

Pedestrians always have the right of way at a crosswalk in most places. It is only where the is a walk sign for that specific crosswalk that is lit to "DONT WALK" that pedestrians do not have the right of way.
Pedestrians don't have the right-of-way over emergency vehicles.

Pedestrians don't have the right-of-way over trains.

Emergency vehicles don't have the right-of-way over trains (unless you are in Detroit!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pedestrians have the legal right of way in a crosswalk but as others have already implied, the bigger object almost always wins; the pedestrian is "dead right." Here in northern California we are having a problem with pedestrians getting hit by cars, in and out of crosswalks. The peds seem to be assuming that the car drivers see them even at night and that is not always the case.

People ("trespassers") have been getting hit by trains for as long as trains have existed. The county pauper's cemetery I'm restoring has several such unfortunates. Some were sitting on the tracks drunk, some were "riding the rods," and the remainder tried to get on/off the train while it was moving.

There are always some people who have to learn the hard way. When a train is involved they rarely get a second chance.

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back