Talgo bids to sell WI trainsets to MI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MDOT might actually lease the BiLevel equipment to another state rather then sell it. That way it stays in their pool if they need it & they make money off from them. I know Corridor Capitol will be looking to lease some cars for their IN service.

peter

Sorry that story is about Wisconsin, while the cost may be the same, It is a different state. The big issues is long term, when or if the bilevel equipment shows up, what are they going to do.

Is Talgo going try to get all the state services?

Can MiDot sell the bilevel equipment to another state?

Talk about issues. Buying two set of equipment that may not be needed in 5 years.
Since the bi-levels are being built with federal funds, Michigan could not sell them, at least not at a profit. A lease to a private company would be iffy. Michigan, however, has plans to expand service, including double day runs on the Pere Marquette and Blue Water and a Holland-Grand Rapids-Lansing-Detroit route, so they would have plenty of trains to use the double-deckers.

I doubt if Talgo is interested in anything more than getting rid of the Wisconsin train sets. Remember, they closed the plant in Milwaukee that built the four Oregon-Wisconsin sets, so they would have to set up a whole new factory to build more.

Thanks Per. The cars look nice, the engines really really weird.
That is not an engine. That is an unpowered cab car.
Presumably, engines used with these would either be P42s or the new Siemens Chargers.
IIRC that is a US spec cab car that had to be created for the US market thanks to our unique focus on surviving crashes rather than avoiding them. Other Talgo hardware in other countries looks sleek and appealing to my eye. That being said I'm not a fan of Talgo's single wheel trucks operating on US spec freight rails. When I rode the Cascades the ride quality was rougher and bumpier than any other industrialized rail network I've ever experienced. It seems to me that having to commute on a route that jarring could make working or sleeping on board rather difficult. Maybe folks who ride the route daily eventually get used to it but I never did.

provided they run on the wolverine route, it should be smoother once in Michigan, as that line is now primarily used for "high speed" passenger trains.

peter

So...following on a suggestion from afigg, has there been any further noise/movement on this front?

"we aren't sure if Michigan is willing to put the money into it when there is already a maintenance facility in Chicago"

If I remember correctly this has been covered multiple times in this thread. But current Chicago operations can't handle maintenance of Talgo equipment. So whoever ends up with orphan Talgo's will have to invest in maintenance facility or ship them out West for work when needed. This would have been unnecessary if original plan had stayed in place. Talgo had operations up and running but got run off.

"I know Corridor Capitol will be looking to lease some cars for their IN service"

Has something changed in past few weeks? Last I read Corridor Capitol isn't looking for or won't be needing anything - except good PR person to make bad situation look good. For foreseeable future Amtrak has won Indiana battle.

The Talgo facility in Milwaukee was for trainset assembly. It was not a maintenance facility. Had Wisconsin taken ownership of the two Talgo sets, a new maintenance facility would have been needed. The cost was something in the neighborhood of $30 million. That is a lot of money to build and stock a shop for two trains. Wisconsin asked Amtrak if they could maintain the Talgo's in Chicago. Amtrak said no. I would assume the same answer would be provided to Michigan.

Corridor Capital is no longer being considered for the Hoosier State operation. The latest proposal is a for Iowa Pacific to provide passenger cars and any on-board services, and Amtrak to operate the train. At least according to IP, Amtrak is on board with this idea. The proposal is still being developed.

Iowa Pacific and Amtrak have good working relationship, and are in the process of developing the concept of high quality sleeper service using IP equipment attached to Amtrak trains on various routes on a semi-regular basis. Iowa Pacific has also been trying to develop a local service between Oklahoma City and Tulsa. They own the Saratoga and North Creek which runs regular service in season between Amtrak Saratoga Springs station (Adirondack, Ethan Allen) and North Creek usually making reasonable connection with Amtrak.

So...following on a suggestion from afigg, has there been any further noise/movement on this front?
I messaged MDOT on Twitter asking them about the status of the plan here is their responce:

@MichiganDOT said:
@PFreeman008 Nothing new to report yet, Peter. Still under review. Thanks for checking in!
peter

I'm betting there are convoluted legal issues involved. But I also think this will probably actually happen.

Iowa Pacific and Amtrak have good working relationship, and are in the process of developing the concept of high quality sleeper service using IP equipment attached to Amtrak trains on various routes on a semi-regular basis. Iowa Pacific has also been trying to develop a local service between Oklahoma City and Tulsa. They own the Saratoga and North Creek which runs regular service in season between Amtrak Saratoga Springs station (Adirondack, Ethan Allen) and North Creek usually making reasonable connection with Amtrak.
I've heard their relationship is a bit more complicated...notably the fact that there's a lack of through booking on, say, the Saratoga and North Creek (the term "Thruway Train" is used with respect to the Grand Canyon Railway, so there's no reason that a similar deal couldn't be done elsewhere).

Hey the Cardinal could be run daily with Iowa Pacific Cars attached, a much better route than the City of New Orleans!

If the Card does go daily and the Hoosier State plan works out it would be a Win/Win for rail travelers!

My concern is that the State of Indiana won't come up with the Money it requires, their politicians aren't exactly founding father material!!

Indiana has nothing to do with the funding or operation of the Michigan trains.
I know they don't fund Michigan trains, but they will need to invest in infrastructure and track upgrades if they are going to run State funded trains!
These trains run through three states, Illinois and Michigan which are rail friendly, and Indiana which is anything but! Plus Beechgrove is right outside Indianapolis which gives Amtrak sort of a whip hand when it comes to jobs etc.

If Indiana wants trains they're gonna have to pay up, no free lunch!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think intermediate states are required to put up funding if the surrounding states do, afterall, they aren't paying Indiana for any upgrades, they are paying the host railroads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back