Taking train to SF

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I am planning for a cruise next January 2014. I have looked at all possibilities on how to go from Chico to SF and Amtrak seems the most econimical considering gas and parking for 2 weeks. It looks like I will take the Coast Starlight to Emeryville and change to an Amtrak bus to Fisherman's Wharf. Returning it will be bus to Emeryville, train to Sacramento, and bus to Chico. My question is has anyone taken this trip (not necessarily out of Chico) and what is the practicality of walking from the bus to the cruise terminal with rolling luggage. Is it usually on time? Would it be better to arrive the prior day and sightsee? That at least would allow for late arrival.

It really depends on the train itself. As of recent, train 11 has been arriving within an hour or so of the scheduled time into EMY. The bus connection is guarenteed so as soon as you arrive the bus should be waiting in front of the station.

If you have the time it might be nice to have a day in San Francisco to look around. That way you can also take your time getting to the cruise terminal and not have to worry about the connections. It really is up to what you prefer but there is plenty to do around the Fisherman's Wharf area!

Walking from the bus stop to the cruise terminal shouldn't be a problem with rolling luggage as long as you are comfortable with walking. It would be around 3-5 city blocks depending on the route you walk (I'm assuming you are departing from Pier 35). You could take public transit but the distance amounts to only about one stop on the F-Market streetcar line.

I made this trip last Tuesday. (Not the cruise, however!). But I took the Amtrak California bus from Chico to SAC. It leaves at 7:50 am, so is much better timing than the CS in the middle of the night, in my opinion. I got on the Capitol Corridor train from SAC to EMY, then the bus to SFW.

The Fisherman's Wharf bus stop is very close to the ship terminals, so rolling your luggage there shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe you should give yourself an extra day, like you mentioned. My sister and I stayed at the Radisson, which is only about a block from Fisherman's Wharf. In fact, our wonderful bus driver took us right to the hotel's front door!

I wouldn't rely on the CS being on time, especially if your schedule is tight.

If you need to stay overnight, you don't absolutely need to do so in San Francisco. San Francisco has very expensive hotel rooms. There are some decent places in Emeryville as well as a good free transportation system (Emery-Go-Round). The main difficult though would be in how to get to San Francisco, since the Emeryville-San Francisco bus can't be booked separately. Also - if the bus is waiting for a late CS, then you might also be late.

There are lots of ways to get to San Francisco from Emeryville - combinations of BART, MUNI, AC Transit, etc.

What time does the cruise depart, and what's their recommended check-in time?

I was also thinking you might stay overnight in Davis. If it's a weekday you could take the 723 and connect to SF on the 6673. There are several later trains too. There is a CS option, but that would run in the same issues with on-time performance. The train station is only a few blocks to downtown Davis with several lodging options. I was also thinking Berkeley, but any lodging is a bit away and also pretty pricey.
I know you said gas was an issue, but Emeryville does have long-term spaces that are free with a ticket. You could do something crazy like drive to Emeryville and book EMY-BRK-EMY-SFW. I don't know how Amtrak treats people who do bookings like that and just throw away the train segments to use the bus. I wouldn't recommend it. Does anyone know if you absolutely have to use the train segments? I thought Amtrak California's thruway buses have to be booked with a train trip by law.

I tried a sample EMY-OAJ-EMY-SFW with SFW-EMY-BRK-EMY return trip. $34 and you'd get long-term parking for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Connection to cruise ship: I don't know when your ship sails, but if there is not a comfortable gap of several hours, I wouldn't risk it. While the Starlight is said to be pretty reliable these days, remember Murphy's law. I vote that you come the day before, maybe even on one of the bus/ train schedules, spend the night and do some sightseeing; plus, you are not going to get the benefit of the Coast Starlight experience on this short wee hours trip. I also suggest you compare the cost of the bus and corridor train versus the fare on the Starlight.

I would strongly suggest you arrive San Francisco one day prior to your cruise departure.

I have taken a cruise from San Francisco (to Alaska) and know the terminal is quite small

for the number of passengers on many ships. I have always been pleased with the Ambus

from EMY to the city. I hope you have a great cruise.

Going on what BCL mentioned... If you take that route you can book a property in Emeryville and just book using the multi-city. Book CIC-EMY on day 1 and EMY-SFW on day two. Since it is in the same booking you can just take the bus on day 2. Most of the buses are unreserved as well so that allows for some flexability. Even those that are reserved often just look at the destination on the ticket. The bus system is pretty flexible and relaxed.

It all really depends on your preference in terms of where to stay and your cruise ship departure. I'd honestly plan the extra day, especially if your cruise ship departs in the morning or early afternoon

Hate to say it but people do throw away the train segments all the time as well. Or use them at a later date. For the booking engine to allow you to book, most of the time all that is required is for you to book a train trip and a bus trip in the same transaction.

For example, the CC eliminated the first Eastbound train of the day last year due to low ridership and additional overnight layover space in SAC. That trip was converted into a bus from Martinez. There are no connecting trains to that bus. To book it they just instructed people to get a multi-ride ticket or book it as a round trip using the bus in the morning and the train coming back in the afternoon. As long as the bus booking includes a train somewhere the system should allow it to be done.

I wasn't sure how the thruway bus had to be booked. I see that it can still be booked even if it's not the connecting bus that waits for a specific train.

I'm also guessing that one can use the same ticket on the bus for a different bus than reserved?

Rather than having an expensive hotel room in SF, take the Amtrak bus from Chico to Sacramento with the #525 Capitol Corridor to Davis. Spend a day/night in Davis.

The next morning take the #525 train to EMY with a dedicated bus to SFW which will arrive at least 20 minutes earlier than the bus that connects with the Coast Starlight.

It is against the rules to take the bus from Chico to Sacramento without connecting to a train.

If you didn't like Davis you could take another CC train back to SAC to check out the California Railroad Museum in Old Town Sacramento.

I agree with everyone who suggested to arrive in SF (or somewhere in the Bay area) the day/night before your trip. I'd really, really hate to see you miss your cruise due to some unforseen delay; plus, it will give you some time to relax and sightsee.

Check Hotwire for hotel deals. We usually save around 60-75% on hotel rooms and have never had a bad experience. It lets you filter by neighborhood, star rating, and price.

Come on, it's not that expensive for one night in San Francisco. There are deals to be had, Hotwire, Priceline. Why waste a night in Emeryville?

I have found a AAA rate of $135 (plus tax) at a Sheritan near Fisherman's Wharf. It is still a year away so the only reservations I have so far are the cruise. I have taken the same cruise out of LA to Hawaii 4 times and this is my first out of SF. Since it has been a few years since I have been to SF I think I will go the prior day. Also it is probably better to take the bus from Chico - Sacramento, train from Sacramento - Emeryville, and bus from Emeryville - SF. I am pretty sure the schedule that way will be closer to being on time and I can get up later.

Is there any advantage to making Amtrak reservations early? I see some trains and busses are reserved seat and some are not. Are tickets fully refundable? I should know but it has been over 10 years since my last train trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to thing of the best way to explain this scenario...

If you decide to take the Coast Starlight it would be to your advantage to book earlier in the process as that train is based on a "bucket" system. Basically that's the Amtrak version of Supply and Demand Pricing. The more people that book, the lower the available inventory, thus the price goes up accordingly when the inventory hits a certain level.

If you book using the bus-train-bus route, the price is generally fixed. The Capitol Corridor Joint Powers Authority sets the Capitol Corridor fares based on a fixed pricing table. The fares will only change if there is a scheduled permanent fare increase across the board.

With that said, the price may go up a few dollars as the bus connection is a Thruway route that is scheduled to connect to the San Joaquin Route which does use bucket and holiday pricing. That price on the bus segment of your trip may change but only by a few dollars at most, mostly during the peak and holiday season.

The main concern would be in terms of space on the bus from CIC-SAC. That bus generally does not sell out, however it is reserved meaning that there are a fixed number of seats to be sold. Given that your trip is well in the future you shouldn't have an issue in that regard either.

Only things to remember are Amtrak allows bookings up to 11 months in advance and you need to book at least 3 days in advance to obtain your AAA discount of 10%. The train and bus from EMY-SFW are unreserved on most schedules (all CC trains are, most buses are) so if you decide to spend some time in Sacramento or Emeryville or for some reason your plans change along the way, the unreserved segments are valid for one year from the date of issue. Keep an eye out for discounts that may pop up such as the winter 20% sale or AAA 10% + 10% sales that are currently going on. These may occur again next year during the time you are traveling so you may be eligible for a larger discount depending on the terms of the sale.

As for refunds... Amtrak has recently changed it's refund policies. Unreserved trains are refundable, minus 10% of the fare paid. You may also obtain an "E-Voucher" which is for the full value of the ticket and valid for up to one year from the date of issue. Since the first segment of your trip is on a bus, you should be subject to the "Reserved" train policies. Your reservation is refundable for the full-value up to one day before your departure. After that, or if you no show, you will be issued an E-Voucher valid for one year for the full value of the fare.

This by no means explains all the rules or scenarios and I'm sorry if it is a bit of information. Bottom Line, if you do the bus-train-bus combination:

1. There is no real advantage in your case to booking early and if you do, keep an eye out for specials that may come along.

2. Your ticket should be fully refundable up to one day in advance of your scheduled departure as long as you have a reserved portion in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back