Taking medications along on train trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

librarian

Train Attendant
My wife is joining me on a cross-country train trip in late October. This will be her first time on a train, I am a 20 year veteran and am excited that I finally convinced her to join me. I am sharing all the tips and hints on train travel, and some she has already heard from my train talk around the house, but there is one issue I do not deal with on a train.

She takes insulin for diabetes, and has a small travel container with an ice pouch. How difficult is it to deal with this on the train? We are in sleepers the whole trip and getting a little ice should be okay, but what about all the syringes we will need to take along for 2 weeks? Do we need to take a letter from the doctor, or will the prescriptions be enough?

We are taking the CL and CZ round trip to Sacramento, I booked a night in Chicago eastbound so as not to have to worry about the connection. Otherwise, we are very flexible and a late train won't impact us too much. Thanks for anyone's help.

Unlike an airport, there is no "Security" that you go through. So that is not a problem. Since you'll be in a sleeper, you can get additional ice from your SA. Even if not, you could get ice from the cafe. But note, they can not store any medications for you. And remember to keep any necessary medication with you! (If it is in your checked baggage, you can not get to it during the trip!)

The only "problem" is the disposal of the used syringes. I honestly do not know how this is handled. But I'm sure other's do.

My Dad is diabetic and asks for ice first thing, he mentions he has meds that need to remain cool. A LSA's gave him a box full of ice and he replaced the ice every 12 hours. My Dad gave him a $100 tip since he gave us a box and changed out the ice.

Good Luck,

Stephen

My wife is joining me on a cross-country train trip in late October. This will be her first time on a train, I am a 20 year veteran and am excited that I finally convinced her to join me. I am sharing all the tips and hints on train travel, and some she has already heard from my train talk around the house, but there is one issue I do not deal with on a train.
She takes insulin for diabetes, and has a small travel container with an ice pouch. How difficult is it to deal with this on the train? We are in sleepers the whole trip and getting a little ice should be okay, but what about all the syringes we will need to take along for 2 weeks? Do we need to take a letter from the doctor, or will the prescriptions be enough?

We are taking the CL and CZ round trip to Sacramento, I booked a night in Chicago eastbound so as not to have to worry about the connection. Otherwise, we are very flexible and a late train won't impact us too much. Thanks for anyone's help.
You would probably not have a problem, but to be on the side of caution I would do what I've seen recommended a number of times; carry meds and syringes in their origional containers with the label affixed where possible. Otherwise, if you have a separate receipt (like CVS would give) with all the perscription information if it contains the information showing on the label. Alternately you could ask the doctor for a letter listing all the meds he/she has currently authorized.

Keep in mind that not only could a dog sniffing pooch go through the train like I once seen happened in New Mexico on the SWC. Also, you never know what could happen during the time you are not on board Amtrak.

Again consider being on the side of caution and although their's little chance of having a problem, you wouldn't want your vacation delayed or ruined because by being held until the meds are verified legit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak was wonderful when we took the EB both ways. I called a week or so before the trip to let them know about the meds that needed to be kept cool. While not insulin, my wife was on Byetta for diabetes. We were also going on a cruise but that is another story for another forum. My wife also bought, on line, a little pouch called a Frio. This item is designed to keep things cool. Anyway, we had no problem and had all the ice we needed. As far as disposal, ask for a "sharps container." Again, call in advance and ask if such is available. If not, and we didn't ask, my wife simply kept a water bottle and put all her disposables in that until we got to Seattle and she could take care of them. Hope this helps a little. have a great trip!

I called a week or so before the trip to let them know
That's a good point: there is a mechanism in Amtrak's computer system for notes on the manifest about any special needs, and making sure that documentation is there may help you get priority if Amtrak has a shortage of ice on the day of your trip, and/or may inspire Amtrak to make a bit of effort to make sure that they get more ice if doing so is going to be a slight annoyance for them.

I'm not sure to what extent Amtrak would get in trouble with respect to ADA compliance, etc, for failing to provide ice to someone who needs it for their medication.

It is always good to have a copy of your prescriptions with you. You can pick up a sharps container at any pharmacy, they usually have travel size as well. If you cannot locate a sharps container first then you can make one on your own by having a sealable container with the words SHARPS written on them boldly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back