T between South and North stations in Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmama

Train Attendant
Anyone know if there is an escalator or an elevator at Boston North Station?

IIRC, there is an elevator to the orange and green line platforms, but not an escalator.

The AMTRAK/Commuter Rail station is on street level, so no stairs/escalator/elevator needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the North Station T stop, there are both an elevator and escelator. However between the Orange and Red Lines (to get to South Station), there are stairs. A much easier transfer is from BBY to BON. Both are on the Orange Line, transit time is 12 minutes (6 or 7 stops), and both on either end!
smile.gif

I guess it's back to the drawing board! We're trying to get from Savannah to New England for 3 nights basically. I had thought to go on 98/Silver Meteor arriving NYP 11:06.

Therein lies the rub.

Not enough time to make the Vermonter so opted for a NE Regional leaving NYP at 12:30 / arriving BOS at 4:36.

That makes it pretty squeaky to get from BOS to BON to make connections for the 5:40 DownEaster - and the next one doesn't leave until 11ish -

We'd have to arrive on time on the Regional and then hope there is a cabbie that will take us just a mile......

Coming back, we were going to do the T but husband had a knee replacement that didn't quite work and steps (esp going down) are slow and tedious - esp carrying bags.

Somehow I missed any connections to BBY but I'll go back and take a look.

Thanks for the info about the elevator/escalator/stairs.

I guess it's back to the drawing board! We're trying to get from Savannah to New England for 3 nights basically. I had thought to go on 98/Silver Meteor arriving NYP 11:06.

Therein lies the rub.

Not enough time to make the Vermonter so opted for a NE Regional leaving NYP at 12:30 / arriving BOS at 4:36.

That makes it pretty squeaky to get from BOS to BON to make connections for the 5:40 DownEaster - and the next one doesn't leave until 11ish -

We'd have to arrive on time on the Regional and then hope there is a cabbie that will take us just a mile......

Coming back, we were going to do the T but husband had a knee replacement that didn't quite work and steps (esp going down) are slow and tedious - esp carrying bags.

Somehow I missed any connections to BBY but I'll go back and take a look.

Thanks for the info about the elevator/escalator/stairs.
You will be arriving in downtown Boston at rush hour. Even tough it is only a mile, you are much more likely to make the connection leaving the train at BBY. That saves you 5 minutes of train time on the regional, plus lets you have a direct 12 MINUTE connection. The transit is very very reliable. You should seriously consider taking the Orange line direct BBY-BON. I highly recommend it, and think that this gives you the best chance of making the Downeaster.

When you get to North Station (the T stop), be sure to exit from the CAUSEWAY AVE (I think, it's Causeway something) exit. It's the closest to BON (the Amtrak station). When you open the door to the station, you will see stairs right in front of you. But don't worry - just to the right (inside the door) is a ramp!
smile.gif

At BBY, exit the platform and turn right. Within 100 feet (inside the station) is the Orange Line! Take the train on the right.

It's Causeway Street :D

Thanks Mike and Dave. I am going (maybe with my sister) to Portland, ME next month and will need to connect between BBY and BON (or BOS and BON). Thanks for the valuable information.

The BON - BBY connection is super easy on the orange line, and at rush hour there should be no problem making the connection on the orange line because the trains run pretty often.

There are definitely escalator & elevator options at both BON & BBY.

The only thing that might be tough is dealing with luggage on an orange line train at rush hour. You might get bowled over by commuters sprinting to catch their trains as they get off the orange line at BON.

It's Causeway Street :D
Yes, it most certainly is. Which is why if one goes the wrong way in the subway station it will cause you to have to cross the street. :lol:
Yes, Alan, that is one fine example of forward thinking; I'm fairly certain the street was named Causeway long before the subway, or elevated, was built ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back