SWC zone border

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy559

Service Attendant
Is the cutoff for the SWC heading west Trinidad, or can you go all the way to ABQ and stay in the same zone. On the map it shows it skimming along the border between Trinidad, and Albuquerque. - Thanks

Albuquerque, Lamy, Las Vegas NM, Raton, and Trinidad can all be reached from both Chicago and LA on a one-zone AGR. award.

The zone map for Michigan sucks. I've pulled it up to about 1000000000% zoom, and Port Huron looks like it's in the east zone. That's stupid, since that would make Port Huron to Chicago a two-zone trip. :p

I ended up calling AGR, and they confirmed Port Huron is in the Central zone and (as Ryan said) Detroit is on the border of central/east, meaning you can book it as either. I think they just screwed up the dot when they put Port Huron on the zone map.

If you're going east from Dearborn, I'd consider leaving from Detroit (or Toledo) so you don't have to book it as a two-zone trip.

The border cities are Atlanta (Crescent), Cincinnati (Cardinal), Toledo (LSL & CL), Wolf Point (EB), Denver (CZ), ELP (TE/SL) and the SWC stops shown above. Also border cities are Detroit and Port Huron. (The former most often you'll be going west, the later has the only route going west. There use to be routes from both going east into Canada.)

I'm going to be taking a trip later this summer, from Plattsburgh, NY to Gallup, NM. As Gallup is a just a couple of hours after ABQ, which is on the border of the zones, I'd rather not use a ton of points just for those last few hours. Would it make sense to book with my rewards from Plattsburgh to Gallup in a sleeper, then separately buy a coach ticket from ABQ to Gallup? And if I did that, what are the chances that the attendant would simply let me stay in the sleeper, provided no one getting on in ABQ has booked the room?

Since ABQ is the Zone Border for two Zones (Central and West) you will need to book your 2 Zone Award from Plattsburgh to ABQ. ( a Roomette will be 20,000 Points, 19,000 if you have the AGR Master Card)! if you book to Gallup it would be a 3 Zone Award!

Then you make a Separate Rez for a Paid Coach ticket from ABQ to Gallup! As you say if nobody has booked your room from ABQ the SCA with the Conductors OK can let you stay in your room but if you eat Dinner in the Diner you will have to pay for your meal unless the SWC is running really late and Dinner is served before ABQ!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since ABQ is the Zone Border for two Zones (Central and West) you will need to book your 2 Zone Award from Plattsburgh to ABQ. ( a Roomette will be 20,000 Points, 19,000 if you have the AGR Master Card)! if you book to Gallup it would be a 3 Zone Award!
Jim, I am not understanding what you mean by it only being 19,000 points if you have the AGR card.

Jim, I am not understanding what you mean by it only being 19,000 points if you have the AGR card.
Yes, you get a 5% point rebate when you have the AGR Master Card and your points never expire!

Yes, and I had forgotten that. My 3,000 point rebate was a nice surprise! And those appeared back in my account very quickly.

I'd never accumulate enough points without using the AGR credit card and buying points when there's a good bonus. I've also converted HH points at a bad exchange rate.

So, is Port Huron in both zones? Not that it's likely to ever affect me.

I think the map could do a better job at some places on the zone borders. Most, like ATL and DEN, are clear, though.

Yes, technically Port Huron is in both the Eastern and Midwest Zone. However currently you can only travel westbound (like to Chicago). At one time, there was a continuation of that route east to Sarnia and Toronto.

Yes, you get a 5% point rebate when you have the AGR Master Card and your points never expire!
Really? Since when? I have never gotten a rebate. How do you get it? Do you have to ask or is it automatic? Is this new?

Are the details about it online somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Its not new, I started getting it in 2009 when I got the AGR MC! It's in the AGR T&C and I always ask for my Rebate when booking even though the agents should have that info on your profile when you call!

Just looked and I did get the rebate. Wow. Never heard about it. Of course, you have to have the full amount of points to make the reservation. Then you get some back.

That is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Back