SWC, CZ, or something else?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

transit54

Conductor
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get a bit of advice for an upcoming rail trip I'm planning in January. It's been months since I've been on a train anywhere, and I'm itching for another rail trip. I have a month off - December 14 to Jan 14 - from school, though I'm mostly working in between that period. However, I was able to get some free tickets to Macworld SF and figured it would be a good excuse to take to the rails.

Now I work for an airline, so the starting point of this trip is sort of irrelevant. Ultimately I'm trying to end up in the San Fransisco area on either January 13 or 14. What I'm really looking for is the most scenic and interesting route for mid-January, as well as a decent deal on a roomette (which doesn't seem to be an issue).

I've got a few options. I think CHI is the best starting point, as I've taken the LSL and the Cardinal, and I'll save myself ~$150 if I start from CHI. At that point, I could take:

Southwest Chief --> Coast Starlight

California Zephyr (which I've been on, but only to Ottumwa, IA, so I haven't seen most of the route)

Empire Builder --> Coast Starlight (most expensive option)

I could also fly to New Orleans and take the Sunset Limited to the Coast Starlight.

I'd ultimately be flying back, mostly due to time constraints.

Does one route stand out from all the others this time of year? Any recommendations?

I think the Zephyr is the most scenic route, for my money, there is just so much grandure!

Ed B)

PS Is Macworld a burger theme park?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO, the CZ through CO is the most scenic route currently on Amtrak! :D

The SWC/CS route offers you a same day connection in LA, and offers scenic areas (in daylight going northbound ;) along the CA coastline from areas not accessible (at least easily) by driving.

The EB is considered "Amtrak's best train" (currently - the "new" CS is to be relaunched next year). However, if you're considering an EB/CS connection, consider (strongly!) going westbound to connect at PDX. (Eastbound, you'll be forced to take an 11 hour bus ride connection!)

Well, it looks like (so far) that the consensus seems to be the CZ. Especially if they are relaunching the CS next year - I'll wait till then to take it.

Thanks for everyone's input so far! Also, the CZ also looks like the most economical option, which works out well.

PS Is Macworld a burger theme park?
Ha, no Macworld is an annual conference for Mac users. It was originally in both NYC and SF, but they cut the NYC one a few years back.

Ahhhhh.....a roomette on the California Zephyer sounds fantastic. It's been since March of '05 for me so I've been living with MQAJOR withdrawls myself. Enjoy your ride......and think of all of us poor souls who have to sit at home!!!!!

I would choose the Zephyr if westbound out of Chicago is my only choice. My reason is that the trip through both the Rockies (8am departure out of Denver) and the Sierras (12:04pm out of Reno) are likely to be in daylight. On the westbound Empire Builder the Glacier Park portion of the trip is in darkness (6:45pm out of East Glacier). My personal opinion is that the Chief has very little interesting scenery as compared to the other tow.

Yea, I booked the trip on the westbound CZ last night after much consideration and the realization that I was getting what looked like the lowest bucket price on a roomette ($254). I'll be on #5 on Jan 12th getting into EMY on the evening of the 14th. Sure enough, as soon as I booked it the price went up to $344. I'll be in room 13, car 531. Looks like 13 is on the lower level. Is there any disadvantage to this?

I'm quite excited, as it will also be my first time in a Superliner sleeper (I've had one in a viewliner on the LSL but that's it) and its actually only my third Amtrak LD trip (Cardinal and the LSL were the other two).

Unless you REALLY love trains I would shy away from the Sunset; it was only 9' 15" late into LAX yesterday. Afew months ago it was 22" 1/2' hours late into New Orleans. Not only do the passengers get a little cranky but it tends to wear the crew out also. The unpredictability of this train is notorious thanks to the UPRR.

I'll be in room 13, car 531. Looks like 13 is on the lower level. Is there any disadvantage to this?
Your view won't be quite as nice on the lower level compared to the upper, and you'll hear more track noise. On the other hand, you'll have less people walking by your room, you'll have the choice of three bathrooms compared to one on the upper level. You are much closer to the shower also.

Otherwise the rooms aren't any different on the lower level by comparison to the upper. And the view problem is easily fixed by heading for the Sightseer Lounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back